3rd Function Hydraulic Coupler Question

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Given that I know nothing about hydraulic couplers I thought I'd ask here where someone does. I ordered my L2501 with a third function and it has (2) male 3/4" FORB Male Connectors. My EA grapple has a male and female coupler which is a good idea making it impossible to connect them backwards, but the female won't fit what's on the tractor so they're a different size. Also both couplers on the grapple (which I put on myself using Teflon tape) have been leaking fluid when used on my previous tractor. The leak seems to be from around the threads not out the fittings themselves.

So my thought is to just buy two new 3/4" female FORB fittings and replace those currently on the grapple. The tractor salesman said to take one with me to make sure the threads match. Can I just remove a coupler and take with me because if I do isn't hydraulic fluid going to run out? Or will just what's in the line above the coupler to the highest point escape, say a cup or two?
Any tips installing the new couplers? I recently was told by someone not to use Teflon tape, rather hydraulic thread sealer, however it sure looks like Teflon tape was used for the couplers on the tractor and they're not leaking.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Given that I know nothing about hydraulic couplers I thought I'd ask here where someone does. I ordered my L2501 with a third function and it has (2) male 3/4" FORB Male Connectors. My EA grapple has a male and female coupler which is a good idea making it impossible to connect them backwards, but the female won't fit what's on the tractor so they're a different size. Also both couplers on the grapple (which I put on myself using Teflon tape) have been leaking fluid when used on my previous tractor. The leak seems to be from around the threads not out the fittings themselves.

So my thought is to just buy two new 3/4" female FORB fittings and replace those currently on the grapple. The tractor salesman said to take one with me to make sure the threads match. Can I just remove a coupler and take with me because if I do isn't hydraulic fluid going to run out? Or will just what's in the line above the coupler to the highest point escape, say a cup or two?
Any tips installing the new couplers? I recently was told by someone not to use Teflon tape, rather hydraulic thread sealer, however it sure looks like Teflon tape was used for the couplers on the tractor and they're not leaking.
1: NEVER use teflon tape on any hydraulic fittings, it can cause clogging of quick disconnects and damage to hydraulic valves and parts.
2: Very rarely do they use O-ring Boss fittings on add on equipment and I've never seen them connected to a Quick disconnect.
3: You would not use any sealant on an ORB fitting as the O-ring does the sealing.

I think you need to take a picture of what you have and post it on here for us to be able to give you a proper answer.

I'm betting you have JIC or Pipe thread fittings, or a remote possibility BSPT.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
If his tractor has the kit that landpride makes for the L2501 it comes with pioneer fittings

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Thanks guys, I took one of each connectors around to 6 different places including a MF and Kubota dealer and none had the right ones. Finally found them at an industrial supply place.
Although I had heard not to use teflon tape before, every place I went said that's what they use. So I carefully used it, just about one revolution and was careful to keep it up from the first thread so a sliver couldn't come off and contaminate the hydraulic oil.
Then I hook up the grapple and anxiously start the tractor to use it and check for any leaks. Well third function didn't function at all. Checked everything I could and called the dealer mechanic who said check fluid level and fuse. Turned out the fuse had broken, changed it and it functions perfectly now..... and no leaks!