Moving Day.....

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Congrats Eric! Your lunch box looks pretty big compared to the matchbox that was my first place, a studio apartment that was <300 sq ft..

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Like Tom Hanks said in the movie Money Pit after most of the house fell in "home crap home" LOL. I like it, its totally doable for me. About the same size as my first home I owned at 21. It has a few small qwirks to it but I can live with them. More importantly its MINE all to myself. And when my gal comes over to visit atleast we can have our privacy and do what we want.

And Paul I couldn't agree with you more on the School Of Hard Knocks. I'm a graduate with honors from that particluar school. I have a Ph.D and could instruct a course!

I get the keys this Friday morning but with the snow they are calling for it may push back my move in date.

Don't want to crap up the new hard wood floors.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Sounds like a good plan my friend,,just don't be tearing down the bouta on those new floors. like a friend torn down his old pan head,,, his lovely bride was somewhat less than,, pleasantly surprised :D

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Sounds like a good plan my friend,,just don't be tearing down the bouta on those new floors. like a friend torn down his old pan head,,, his lovely bride was somewhat less than,, pleasantly surprised :D

Awww man! you take all the fun out of it...

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
No dice... I'm a little more then PISSED OFF!! I was supposed to get the key on the 31st but the rental agent called to inform me the house is not ready yet. They still have to put down the flooring yet.

What really chaps my ass is they have had possesion and been trying to rent that house since June 2013 and they wait for me to sign a damn lease before things get done.

I guess I could kick myself in the ass a bit to because I had talked over with the rental property about me doing the work of repainting and doing the flooring, figured we could reach a deal where they would waive the deposit fee and in return me do the work.

They had offered to pay me to do it which thinking to cover my ass would be not to take the job being paid for since I'm a licensed and insured landscape contractor NOT a remodeling guy. I kinda looked at it if no money changed hands no harm no foul. But if they paid me and wanted to complain and come after me for whatever reason then I sit exposed with NO protection on my side.

Might have been born in the morning... it wasn't yesterday morning!

trouble11

Equipment
kubota b9200, bf350fel,b4530 hoe, 2002 Gmc Sierra with plow
Jun 12, 2012
Plattsburgh, NY
Eric,
Good things don,t come Easy. Just hang in there and everything will work out fine. :)
My thoughts are with You, Jeff

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Eric, my son ran into the same situation when he bought a house a few months ago. He and his wife gave up their duplex expecting to be able to move in and wound up living with us for a few weeks while repairs were made. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow as it seems no matter how hard you try to prepare and plan, something unexpected happens.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
They say if you want it done and done right ya gotta do it yourself! Kinda wish I had taken up the offer to do the work myself and been done by now. But to error on the side of caution and cover my ass in a money dealing situation I decided to let the "pros" handle it UGH!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Well here we are February 15th and I signed papers on January 15th saying I could move in on January 31st. Yep I'm still pretty ticked off I'm not in.. I should have gave up and moved on, but for the price, the location, the 2.5 acres of land I can wait.

Come to find out the jackass who bought the house at foreclose auction just ASS-U-MEd the house was in liveable shape since someone occupied the house until it sold. Well dumbass people do neglect homes and poopoo rolls down hill. There's bee a ton of stuff they've had to fix and get right before they'd allow me to move in.

Got a phone call yesterday saying that the flooring is left on the list. No telling how long this is going to take...

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yes FINALLY! Been here about a month now. So far so good, really enjoying the peace and quiet that comes with having your own place.

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA
Eric,

Happy to hear that. Hope you have a good and prosperous year.

Al

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Is business picking up now that Spring's here (kind of- we had sleet earlier, the state trucks are treating the roads, and it's supposed to drop down to 25 tonight)?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Good on you my friend,,, enjoy and remember that every mans home is his castle:D

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Oh sorry guys... I'm just seeing this on 4-23. I've been busy working and enjoying the peace and quiet in MY OWN HOME... I forget to check on here. Now that I have free reign of the remote and what tv channels I WANT to watch I get lost in classic movies. In the past I was glued on here nightly due to the fact I'd get lost in the internet and tune out what soemone else was watching on tv.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Hello Eric:

I just reviewed the many posts of this thread and see your story well told. There are some great posts here, generally trying to help you and showing respect for your efforts.

My advice is to sit back and review those posts.

One of them really tells a story that you will remember some day hopefully with no regrets.

Now my dad is gone and I'll never have the chance to do anything with him ever again. I don't know everything that's happened between you and your dad but I can tell you this for sure. You can never get the time back after there gone and none of us knows when it will happen. My dad was only 67 when he passed.
You and your dad may never speak again but my advise to you would be to do your part and at least try to make things right. At least if something happened to him your heart will be at peace knowing you did what you could do to fix things.

Good luck my friend.

One item that I have not heard discussed. It is how to get your business going better. Sit back and remember the times of day that you posted here. Was it daylight? Instead of posting here, why were you not out looking over properties that need some landscaping work and then stopping in and leaving your business card? No problem doing that on Sunday, evenings when folks are home either. Improved business won't happen by itself. Save your computer time to those times when you can't be promoting. Wear a necktie also and have your appearance reflect how you work. Do you have a brochure?

Just my observation of this thread and how I got my business going back then.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
My ass has been busier then a plunger in a test factory. So far whats been working for advertising is Craigslist. Which is free and in my budget but not the best means in the world to advertise. I plan to put away some money soon and do a full on marketing campaign with a web site and search engine key words.

With this being a digital age people want info now and turn to the internet and websites. Door to door sales are becoming somewhat a thing of the past. Add to that in my neck of the woods too many con-artist have gone door to door posing as contractors of various sorts and robbing people of down payments on jobs and not doing any work.