EA Wicked Root Grapple

Bonk

Equipment
L4600, BX2370
Apr 21, 2013
Kentucky
I spent a bunch of time researching grapples and this is what I finally bought for my L4600. I have some downed trees and brush I need to clean up but none of it is real big. Nothing over 15-18" in diameter and it's all dead and dry. I didn't want or need anything too big but I wanted something of decent quality.

This is the 66" version. I chose that size somewhat reluctantly. I would have preferred the 60 or 54 assuming that smaller/lighter would be handier but on those two the spacing between the clamps is only 8 inches. I figured wider spaced clamps would be better and the 66 clamps are 18" apart. Man am I glad I went bigger. First of all it's a perfect match size-wise for the tractor. It just looks and works right. The width of the Grapple is just slightly wider than the width of the front wheels. Second, now that I've had a chance to use it I would have been disappointed with the smaller grapples. Better lucky than good and I got lucky and picked the perfect size grapple for my tractor.

I also had to buy and install a third function valve. I bought a WR Long kit from EA that bolted right up with no drilling or welding. Perfect fit. Took all of about 45 minutes to mount it and plumb the hoses. The most time consuming part was running the wiring for the switch. That took about an hour and a half but I wanted the wire routing perfect. They shipped the 3rd function kit immediately so I had a chance to install it before the grapple arrived.

This thing rocks! I can't believe how much work I got done in just a half hour of playing around with it. My wife was the one pressuring me to get a grapple. I was a little hesitant but went ahead and bought one. So glad I did. This thing is going to be very handy around our property.

Attachments

Last edited:

polarred21

Feb 13, 2014
Upper NC
Nice looking grapple. How does this work as far as weight difference compared to the bucket and lost FEL lifting capacity...

Bonk

Equipment
L4600, BX2370
Apr 21, 2013
Kentucky
There's not much difference. The Kubota specs page I found lists the 72" light bucket at 323 lbs shipping weight. I don't have the precise number in front of me but the FedEx freight document showed a total shipping weight for the grapple at just a little over 400 lbs. That makes the difference about 100 lbs give or take. My loader (LA764) has in theory a lift capacity of about 1700 lbs so 100 pounds one way or the other doesn't have any real world significance.

As far as I can tell dry brush and timber isn't really that heavy. You have to be careful and center the load on the grapple so you don't create any excessive torquing/twisting but other than that I doubt I would grab anything that will even be near the limit of the loader. I'm not doing any logging. I'm just clearing out dry brush and timber.

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA
New grapple at work. I pulled these trees out of a creek bed.
In the summer I rarely use my FEL bucket, usually keep on the grappler. It is handy to cut up felled trees into firewood...