Looking to buy something that can handle lots of snow

Good day all, this winter was particularly harsh regarding snow in my area. Wondering if anyone can tell me if the BX2670 model can handle lots of snow. Looking to use a loader vice snowblower. Please let me know if any of you might have any advice.

I should mention that I am looking at a 500 foot lane, 12 feet wide on a fairly steep incline/decline.

Thanking you in advance.

Last edited:

kubotaman574

Equipment
BX2670 B2650
Aug 8, 2013
Elkhart In
I have a BX2670 with Blower, Drive is 600', 10' wide. Never had any problem this winter with over 128' of Snow. Had Storms of 14-16" with drifts of 3-4'.

Tks for the prompt reply. Do you think that the loader would also do the work compared to the blower. The reason I am asking is that a blower would not be my first choice since my lane is gravel. Tried a regular snowblower and was picking way too many loose rocks for my liking.

Tks

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Andre the 2670 is a very capable machine and the blower will work well just remember it is a small tractor and you have to use it as such,, small bites and take your time

kubotaman574

Equipment
BX2670 B2650
Aug 8, 2013
Elkhart In
Yes it will handle wet Snow, just start out making your Drive WIDE, so you will have someplace to put the Snow Late in the Season

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Yes it will handle it. You may want to consider either a rear blade or get the quick attach for your loader and get a front blade.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A good blower with the shoes set properly will not pick up the gravel, I do 1/2 mile and have very little to no rock/gravel pickup problems.
One key is the width of the tractors blower. ;)

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Almost any tractor, except for the lightest (BX), with rear blade and bucket will do for winters like we have in Wisconsin. In addition, we need chains on at least the rear and, with some snows, on front wheels also. If you have drifting where drifts can be 4 feet or higher of packed snow, the bucket will make it through, but slowly. I have a friend with a B size kubota with snow blower on the rear. The first few years he used it a lot, and yes it threw gravel quite well. I don't see that he is using it much any more, possibly due to shearing pins trouble, but does a lot with rear blade now. I'd not go with less than 27 HP if I had the choice, but amazingly I have an old blue tractor with 20 HP, and weights 2,400 lbs (bare), and only a rear blade. It does all I need, even plowing snow that has thawed and frozen a foot or more deep two weeks before. To have the front axle work also, I add about 400 pounds on the front. If I had a bucket, that would be enough. No fluid in the tires. This one pushes back those old snow windrows very well also, of course backing up for the tough jobs.. Blade is 7 feet wide.

I also have a 18 HP BX for a city lot and some neighbor help, but I would think that might be too light for you. Given enough time, it can do a lot.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
I think you might plow more gravel with a loader than you would pick up with a blower. I know I pushed lots around.

More Newfoundlanders! excellent.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
For traction you need weight, tire diameter and bite. The BX series is short on the weight and tire diameter, chains will give you the bite. I'd seriously think about a B or L series.
A rear blade works a lot better than the loader until you have so much snow you can not get it off the driveway. I use the 6' rear blade mostly, then when the snow berm gets to be around 3 feet I push it well out of the way with the loader.

L R STYLES

Equipment
2013 B2320
Jul 21, 2013
NF Canada
I have a B2320 with a 6ft.Fisher blade & bucket .I clear 1500 ft of drive way but wish I had a rear blower this year .With a blower just start of with the bucket or blade until the surface packs then use the blower.I had to pile this year with the blade then use the bucket to remove it .I would only have to move it once with the blower.We had a lot of snow this year started off with 225 hours on my tractor now 365 it's a 2014

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
With the first snow I usually get on it right away and have the back blade turned backwards. It'll move a lot of snow without moving the gravel. I have a B3200 with a blower on the front also and as mentioned with the shoes adjusted right and a base down it doesn't throw much gravel. My driveway is 1.3km's long and you can't beat a blower. It takes a long time to move snow with a small loader.

Ringneck

Equipment
BX2200,FEL,MMM,FMSB,Rear Blade,Disk,Landscape Rake,Cargo Carrier,Soft Cab.
Apr 12, 2014
McMillan, Mi
I do 300' of gravel drive in the UP of Michigan with over 200 inches of snow this year with a BX2200. I have now for over 5 yrs as the Tractor is paid off and I wouldn't trade a thing. I get very little gravel thrown if I pay attention and let a base build up early. My FEL wouldn't do near a neat as job and it would take more time then the current 1 to 1 and a half hours I spend outside. I also blow a double wide path around the house and to the pellet furnace and keep a double wide path open to my neighbor through the woods for over 500'. It will open up paths through the snow that have not been cleared the whole winter with depths of 4 foot if you take your time.

One of my buddies just got a BX25D delivered yesterday and he cant keep off of it lol. Anyway, I can appreciate that this is all about the big Orange here however, I wonder since I have to move a large amount of snow where I live, would it be a good idea to consider the JD 1025R FILB since it is a heavier machine. Read somewhere that heavier machine are best with snow. Looking for some expert advice.

Tks gents.

Well then, I should have noticed that there was a second page. Tks all for your sound advice. Conversationally, this winter has been an anomaly around here since we usually (normal year !!) get a lot less snow than we ended up with this year. Having said that, I am looking for a machine that can handle lots of snow if required however, the BX25D comes with both the bucket and the backhoe which is very attractive for the price. With regards to the bucket, the dealer told my buddy that when dealing with snow, the bucket itself could easily 2 1/2 times its sizes when considering weight ratio, meaning that a 2 yards bucket could be made into a 5 yards bucket. So, my friend will have his bucket re-modeled to make it a 60 inches vice 48 inches. Lots of welder around here who likes challenges lol. As far a blower, I am not a big blower guy for some reason and would rather use the bucket to push and haul the snow out of the way. Cost is also a factor as this machine will likely spend way more time in my garage than working. I think that investing 20 grand is quite enough just to deal with some snow and ice in the winter.

Tks all for taking the time to respond.

littlecmonkey

Jul 21, 2013
By the Great Lakes
I am a first time Kubota owner, and purchased a L3540. I got the pull blower from Erskine, as I did not like the idea of backing up to blow snow, nor losing the function of the FEL.

I too had concerns as my drive is gravel as well. The former owner used the FEL in conjunction with a back blade and said you had to be careful as to moving gravel onto the lawn.

The new blower worked great! It might have shot a small amount of gravel the first snow, but after I had a base and with the blower set to the correct height (not gravel low), I had no worries...never moved a pebble.

I still use the FEL for snow as well...at the end of the drive I drop the bucket to push what won't be hit by the rear blower into the ditch across the way, and to move large mounds that have compacted enough that would not be moved with the blower...I like the ability to have both options at my fingertips.

Best advice I'd have is to set the blower high enough that you still have a bit of snow to form that base, and to always start the rear PTO at low idle...think that cost me a couple of shear bolts until I figured that one out.
Wet heavy snow also was not the best through the blower, and if necessary I used the FEL for that type.

Heck, I even blew the trails through my woods. The deer appreciated it, and it was nice to take a walk when the snow was up over the knees!

Last edited: