head lights

steve

Equipment
B7100HST, B5001DT/B5100DT, JD-111H, Chevy K2500 DuraMax, CJ-5, CJ-7, TJ jeeps
Feb 17, 2009
Henniker. NH, USA
I'm looking to replace the headlights in my B5100. They are about $5400 from Kubota. Does anyone have any info on a sealed beam style light that would fit? The original ones don't give off much light anyway.

steve

Equipment
Feb 17, 2009
Henniker. NH, USA
Sorry forgot the decimal point they are $54.00

Reactions: 1 user

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
I have the same problem. Im thinking of maybe a set of aftermarket fog lights that would come close to the size of the original opening and then make brackets to hold them in place.

Reactions: 1 user

Curbster

Equipment
L-185 DT
Feb 19, 2009
Nelson, B.C.
I did replace my headlights with 4" sealed beams on my L185 as the factory ones were forever burning out due to the bumps and knocks whilst working the old dog. I suppose you could get dual filament bulbs in a sealed version, (though I don't know about this) but I am only running single filament bulbs, which means I don't have any " Bright " lights when you switch between dim and bright it remains the same. Still, it provides all the light I have ever required, and I have only replaced one light in 4 years!! You do need to do a bit of wiring changes at the light socket, but nothing the average Joe can't handle. Hope this helps. :)

steve

Equipment
Feb 17, 2009
Henniker. NH, USA
Vic, Curbster
Thanks for the replies. The present ones are 3.75" I pick up a 4" lamp and see this weekend what it will take to fit it in. Will report back.
Steve

Rich C

Equipment
B6000, tiller, mower, plough
Apr 3, 2009
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
I have the same problem with my B6000, and I was thinking allong the same lines of a 4" fog lamp, but I may try those new LED fog light bulbs, due to the reduced current draw and less heat. As I think that the electrical system may not be up to suplying 2x55w for the standard bulbs.

HeyDoc

Equipment
B 7510
Oct 18, 2009
Conn.
Any updates on this topic? I too need to improve my front lighting for winter plowing. I would like to keep the lights mounted as stock. Maybe a brighter or LED bulb that fits in the stock lens housing? Thanks

smokinhart

Equipment
b6000E,B6100DT, King Cutter RM48, Front end Loader, Rear Blade,Gravel Reclaimer
Oct 21, 2009
Manhattan, Kansas
Use LED if possible. Your dynamo only produces 10 amps total load so don't over build your conversion. Some auto parts stores also sell some quartz units that can be adapted to the housing in the Kubie hood. My car quest guy found me a couple new harness / sockets that I cut tabs off and made the twist in socket work in original lenses with a better lamp. Nice white sylvania lamps. (These can produce some heat ) Little b6000 charger supports them well.

HeyDoc

Equipment
B 7510
Oct 18, 2009
Conn.
Thanks again, guys. I will look into the LED and quartz options and post some pics of the result. I never get home before dark Nov-March, so all my snow plowing is done at night. It will be nice to see what Im doing, not just go "by feel":eek:

Gergy

Equipment
B6000
Jan 5, 2010
Northern Ireland
Found this thread useful. Just joined the forum to see if I could find a good alternative for my B6000 as the headlamp lens are corroded and new lamps appear impossible to find.

pdabbs911

Equipment
L185
Jan 10, 2010
Northport,AL
New to the forum here. I am currently trying to replace my head lights on my L185. I am using a Sylvania sealed beam lamp (#4411 on the box). I found them at the local Autozone. The light itself is slightly smaller in diameter than the original glass and looked as if it was going to easily fall out the front of the chrome ring. I had some old fender mounted lights that had a rubber housing. I trimmed this down to about 3/8" and put it inside the chrome ring. This easily filled any differences between the diameter of the new sealed beam and the old glass. It is going to work great with the original bracket which required some slight modifications of removing the old reflective material. As far as using too much amps, volts ect... I have no clue. I think it will be fine. I am sure you guys will know about all that. I hope the suggestion above helps some one.

I do have a question or two for you guys. I am pretty sure my switches are bad and need to get behind the dash and sort out the wiring. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the L185? It looks fairly simple, but I want to do it as best as I can.

Thanks in advance!

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
I tried as suggested the led route by changing the bulb with led replace bulbs. Well all I can say is the stock lights were 10 times better. Maybe there are better led's but I think just the nature of them makes them a poor replacement for that application.

Gabe

Equipment
1975 Kubota B6000
Jun 2, 2021
San Diego
I have the same problem. Im thinking of maybe a set of aftermarket fog lights that would come close to the size of the original opening and then make brackets to hold them in place.
i might have to break out my 3d printer

kaze

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota B7000 Cub Cadet 1782 Cub Cadet 78D York Three point rake Woods RM 400 mo
Any updates on this topic? I too need to improve my front lighting for winter plowing. I would like to keep the lights mounted as stock. Maybe a brighter or LED bulb that fits in the stock lens housing? Thanks
HI I have a B7000 and a B7100 both tractors the headlamps were in bad shape the 7000 was good as far as the bulb holders go. I just went online and bought two led back up bulb lights
Worrk good. The b7100 was a mess i purchased and few cheap painters brushes that fit into the light and some silver paint online. Painted the reflectors twice. The bulb holders were falling apart. took one and the local napa store found bulb holders with a little bending of the clips fit and the come with seals. Did the same with the back up light led bulbs. No excess draw on the dynamo and plenty of light. Last winter a storm broke off three pines half way down. Had to clear the drive at night the leds worked fine i could cut up the pines in the tractor headlights and drag them off the road

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Found this thread useful. Just joined the forum to see if I could find a good alternative for my B6000 as the headlamp lens are corroded and new lamps appear impossible to find.
Check out superbrightleds.com. If your lens/housings are ok these folks can hook you up on really bright led replacment bulbs. When I did my change over on the B2410 (CIRCA 1999) I had to switch main lead (-) to (+) to the headlight as LEDS are polarized and power can only flow one way.

These suckers are bright. Neighbors say looks like I m landing a Boeing 737 MAX on the back 40.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
My local NAPA had Night Rider round LED equipment lights. I bought two for my L245DT, removed the old headlights completely, and bolted the LEDs into the bezel. Lost the Hi/Lo, but who cares?