New guy here

Thrawn

Equipment
B5001E
Sep 29, 2012
hortense, ga, usa
Just picked up a Kubota B5001E yesterday, previous owner had no luck in getting it running, needed some quick cash, so we picked it for 200 bucks. Even came with a belly mower. :D

I have a couple of other Kubota motors, one two cyl and a three cyl, off some industrial applications and figured, if need be, we could swap out the motor.

Been a very long time since this one ran, seems to have ok compression, but the injectors and pump were frozen so I spent most of this afternoon taking all of that apart and freeing it up, so far I have it chugging out smoke and *almost* catching. Glow plugs are getting power, but not sure if they are actually working. Other than some leaks and rust holes in the hood, everything looks to be in good condition.

The previous owner mentioned a few times "good luck finding parts", a little bit of googling and I'm assuming this is what's known as a grey market tractor. Wasn't too worried even when he said good luck, seeing the wide application of these motors, I'm sure parts can be found and I already know how to get little things like belts, hoses, filters, etc.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
It is indeed a grey market but they are not parts challenged. Finding the North American equivalent is the key, which I want to say the B5100 is the comparable models. Hopefully Vic will chime in soon as he in the king of foreign Kubotas!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to OTT!

Thrawn

Equipment
B5001E
Sep 29, 2012
hortense, ga, usa
Heh, got it running :) Turned out something still wasn't working right in the injector pump and wasn't firing one of the injectors. Thought it was the injector at first since fuel was definitely getting to it (great resource this site, as much as I fool with engines, taking the injectors out and hooking them up to check the spray never crossed my mind) but I switched it with the other and then it started working. Took the pump all back apart, other than corrosion, I couldn't see what the problem could be. Put it all back together and now it works fine. Don't know what I did exactly, but I'll take it. :D

Unfortunately blow by is considerable, enough to push oil out of the breather tube and dipstick tube, I'm hoping that the rings are just stuck from sitting up all this time. Not the end of the world though, it runs pretty strong regardless of that.