Strange...Clutch is not working in 1 and 3 PTO speeds

dax

Equipment
L1-R26, mower, tiller, plow, post hole digger, trailer, mechanical winch
Mar 14, 2009
ROMANIA, GORJ
Hello! I'm Dan from Romania. New on this forum and new owner of a Kubota gray tractor.
I am very happy with it until now but few days ago when trying to use for the first time an implement on the PTO I noticed that the 1 and 3 speeds won't shift. When I try to shift it grinds. The 2 and 4 speeds work fine.

dax

Equipment
Mar 14, 2009
ROMANIA, GORJ
"Try this test. Shift into PTO speed #1, and then start the tractor leaving the transmission in neutral. Ease out the clutch, and see if the PTO turns."

When I start the tractor the PTO turns with the clutch pressed. When I release the clutch the PTO turns and turns. I tried to engage the PTO with the clucth pressed and with a little grinding it works(not in #3 only in #1). But when I press it again the PTO won't stop.

"Turn tractor off. Keep PTO speed #1 selected, put tractor in first gear, select range #1. Start tractor, and release clutch."

Done that. The same thing with the PTO but now the tractor is moving. Nothing else wrong. I think.

"Keep doing these tests thru each gear, range and PTO speed. It will tell me if you have a gear issue with the PTO, or a transmission main shaft gear issue. Record your info and report back!"

Done that. The same thing in all gears and ranges with the PTO. In #2 and #4 the clutch works fine and the PTO stops when I press it.

Another problem that could be related to this is that when in gear, when I engage the lever for reverse in FORWARD or REVERSE for the first time(the tractor not moving) it grinds a little - 3 or 4 times and the lever is shaking(even with the clutch pressed for more seconds). Should I readjust the clutch?

Thank You!

dax

Equipment
Mar 14, 2009
ROMANIA, GORJ
Adjust the clutch pedal free travel, and take a look at the mechanical shuttle linkage. Something is also not adjusted correctly there.
The clutch was not adjusted indeed. I found a very big free travel on the pedal. The pedal was working very hard in that free travel area not being greased.When I pulled back the pedal I was surprised. I used a derust spray and and grease to make it work then I adjusted the free travel and now all the PTO gears shift fine.

Last edited: