Landscape rake on ATV?

Montana Rick

Equipment
L2550DT1
Oct 16, 2015
Hamilton
Easter greetings all,

I do have a 30hp Kubota L2550 tractor, but need close quarter pine tree debris cleanup on 80 planted rows. Mostly pine cones &

needles.

Q: Is it reasonable to expect that a three-point hitch with a 2” receiver attached to the ATV would perform satisfactorily with the rake? Any experiences out there before I buy a hitch and be dissappointed?

Being retired, cost is always a concern - but it sure would be nice to get double duty out of the rake and solve my cleanup problems.

//
Have KingKutter 6ft, 3pt landscape rake and Polaris sportsman 600 atv

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
My first thought; that's a lot of weight for a receiver hitch on a quad.
Do you need something shorter? I wouldn't think your tractor would be that much bigger.
Do you have a fel? I copied somebody's idea from here and made an adapter to use 3pt equipment on the loader. Would that work?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Montana Rick

Equipment
L2550DT1
Oct 16, 2015
Hamilton
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I do need something shorter than the combined tractor with three-point rake attached. Unfortunately, when I laid out my 80 rows of trees I did not leave enough turning radius for the tractor and equipment to perform properly. The tractor does have a FEL but I don't see how attaching a 3-point front-mounted rake would be any better suited.
Your thoughts of the attachment weight on the ATV reciever certainly have merit and maybe the deciding negative factor.

Montana Rick

Equipment
L2550DT1
Oct 16, 2015
Hamilton
Fordtech86
Yes I am familiar with this type of rake and probably should have purchased it in lieu of their acreage rake for the ATV. Unfortunately, the acreage rake was not the correct application for my needs and the company would not assist in return and or exchange for their landscape rake. I remain pissed...

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
It will. For a while.

Keep in mind that ATV's aren't designed to be tractors, in that operating at very low speeds with a load against them is going to burn the clutch or belt a lot quicker than normal. Some of them ain't cheap to fix either. A belt isn't bad but a wet clutch can be.

Montana Rick

Equipment
L2550DT1
Oct 16, 2015
Hamilton
Lugbolt

Yikes, you are correct. I hadn't thought about the drive belt concern for wear and tear; probably not a good idea to pursue. Thank you

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Unfortunately, when I laid out my 80 rows of trees I did not leave enough turning radius for the tractor and equipment to perform properly.
Not sure if it will help in your situation, but I have a relative who laid out an acre truck garden with the same problem. When he gets to the end of a row, instead of trying to turn to the next row, he skips 2 or 3 rows, and makes his turn. By staggering passes, he eventually gets the the whole acre covered.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ

Attachments

Montana Rick

Equipment
L2550DT1
Oct 16, 2015
Hamilton
Lil foot,
Yes I have done that in the past and can continue to tractor rake for awhile yet. The compounding problem is that the 1,100 ponderosa trees are doing so well that they are already outgrowing my 10ft x 10ft planted quadrants!
Lol

Montana Rick

Equipment
L2550DT1
Oct 16, 2015
Hamilton
CaveCreekRay,
Too clever! I like it and it very well could work even if I attached it to my ATV rear end. Would probably add hinge for rope lift or such. Thank you!

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Len,

You caught me. I keep spraying it green but it stays brown.
What am I doing wrong??? :)

Here is a better view...

I have been welding like a mad man and came up with a "rake from hell." This one is great for busting up clods and mixing surface gravel. Thing weighs about 80 lbs. The "tines" are 1/2" rebar about 1.75 long.

In fact, gotta get a project I finished this morning painted.

Later!

Attachments