Looking at a L3350 - leaks oil

dmaerz

Apr 21, 2019
Southern Vermont
I'm looking at an L3350, comes with a backhoe and snowplow - two biggies for me. Just under 1200 hours on the clock. The price seems right at $14k

Just drove two hours to take a look at it. Fired right up with no hesitation, no smoke. Wasn't run beforehand because the guy's been on vacation, he left the keys out for me. Everything seems reasonably tight. When the clutch is disengaged there is a slight whine, but I have no idea if this is normal or not... My only tractor experience is driving a beautiful loader for a landscaping company a decade or so ago, and test driving a L3901 a week ago. (So basically no experience or frame of reference.)

Here's my big concern, there is a somewhat significant oil leak. It's a slight drip when running, but when switched off it leaked pretty consistently for a bit. The attached picture is what dripped down in a minute or so. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from, but its dripping off the right (drivers) side roughly below the dipstick.

More concerning: there's also an antifreeze leak. I think it's coming from this small bolt, but again I couldn't see and can't tell for sure. You can actually see the drip in the picture below.

Most concerning: could it be a blown head gasket? The oil drips look like they may have some water or antifreeze in them, but it's also been raining a ton here and I don't know how far the oil was dripping.

Peering in the oil cap on the engine and between the operators legs (transmission? Hydraulic?), Everything looked fine, nothing frothy. The engine oil is also crystal clear, but it was just serviced.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Oops. Error posted here.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Looks like a rag bag anyway. You Think you cold male the pictures any bigger? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The issues are not a blown head gasket, they don't do that when they blow a head gasket.

The oil leak could be something real simple like a bad oil pressure sending unit or something a little more complicated, but there is rarely anything too complex when they leak like that.

The Antifreeze leak looks real clean so it could be as simple as a loose hose fitting. ;)

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Maybe there is confusion between an L3350 and a B3350.
Looks like that may be the case. If so disregard my post #2. :eek:
With closer inspection they could be an easy fix.