Cold Start question

Krump

Equipment
2003- L3000 DT, Allied 295 Loader, Bush Hog Rz60 Rotary Cutter
Mar 9, 2009
Whitemouth, Manitoba, Canada
Hi:
Out here it gets nasty cold in Manitoba, How long do i typically have to heat it up before turning the key to start. I have tried it, and it seems like minutes, 2,3,4?? is this normal for this tractor. If i am heating it up, and go to the start position, it does not turn over, till after holding it for quite a while?? Is this normal??

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Hey Krump, I bet Manitoba is cold right about now! I don't even want to think about it!

Normally we recommend about 60-90s of glow plug preheat before turning and cranking over. If, when you are cranking, the engine starts to fire but runs a little bumpy, it's ok to turn that plug back to preheating. The objective here is to get the combustion chamber up to operating temperature so that the diesel/air fuel mixture combusts spontaneously on compression (how a diesel works).

Now, all of this assumes you have done a few other things in advance, like:
1) are you storing your equipment in a garage or shed, away from the elements and wind?
2) are you using a block heater?
3) do you have a fully charged battery with at least 850 to 1000 CCA rating? Having a strong battery is important. If in doubt, get yours tested. Also, bringing the battery inside to warm up really makes a difference.
4) if equipped, you can try using your cylinder head decompression knob - that will release some of the compression for 30 seconds or so, that will circulate some of the warmer oil up to the upper half of the engine

We have a few articles and videos that you can look at too:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2008/12/cold-weather-starting-tips/
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2009/02/trouble-starting-your-kubota-skip-the-starting-fluid/

I would say that preheating for 3-4 minutes is a long time, even for Manitoba. What do you think Vic?

Krump

Equipment
Mar 9, 2009
Thanks Mr. K

The starter does not turn over at all, till after few minutes, or probably longer of preheat, should it should crank when you automatically turn the key to crank it, right?????.

I keep trying the key back and forth till eventually the starter cranks. Even after all the preheats the battery does not seem to be lagging, or dead, when it catches it turns it over quite quickly!!

Maybe there is something wrong with the starter, But once its warmed up, and you shut it down ,say a few minutes later, go to crank it and cranks ok, then starts up immediately.

I thought maybe with the Kubota tractor, the starter will not crank till the motor is preheated enough???

Krump

Equipment
Mar 9, 2009
Hi Vic:

My model is L3000.

If i turn the key to straight cranking it does not activate the starter, i suspect it is what you said perhaps the switch is defective. I will have to troubleshoot more. I originally thought perhaps the electrical system would not allow the starter to be activated unless the cylinders were preheated enough. But i understand now the motor should crank over automatically when you turn your key to the right, and my does not, just sometimes. Thanks guys!

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Vic you are my hero. People may frown on bandaid fixes but when you are in a tough spot 40 miles from nowhere those bandaid fixes that no one would ever lower themselves to do, might save a 40 mile walk.

Krump

Equipment
Mar 9, 2009
Yes quick fixes certainly are required to get things going and to troublshoot problems, i have done it lots too.

Just wondering if i quickly jumpered the starter solenoid with the key off, it would turn over right???. Of course it being in Neutral etc, etc safety first!! Would this way tell me if the ignition switch is defective??

To find out if the key switch is faulty in the crank mode, i turn the key on and the tractor shud start, i think???. if the cylinders were preheated ??? The battery seems good.

It starts ok once the machine was running, and warmed up. i shut it off, a few times and everything was ok for starting. Its the first start of the day, or sitting for long hours, that its reluctant to crank. I hear no clicking at the solenoid though, when i attempt to crank it. This trouble shooting stuff can drive a person nuts.

earnbob

Equipment
DT245L
Jan 8, 2010
pleasant hope, mo,usa
I got a dt245 this fall. Thanks to a new 880 CCA battery and a magnetic block heater it has started pretty good this week at 0 or below temps. What I would like to know is about the decompression knob. The cable and knob are rusted and won't move at all. The other end of the cable ends near what I think is a decompression lever. Moving the lever has no noticeable effect on the cranking speed, if it is running there is still no difference. My question is what does it do and is the decompression feature activated with the lever up or to the left?

JWB

Jan 3, 2010
florida
I have an L245 that has the same no/start/ pause as well. The decompression lever is stuck/frozen at the valve cover. The next time i'm at the property to work, I can tell I'll get no work done. You guys have given me so many ideas that I'll have to work on the tractor all day.........I love it. Any one with any ideas on the stuck decompression lever?

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
The decompressor was stuck on my B8200. I have never used it.It was just the cable that was stuck. I had the rocker cover off to tighten up the valve train, so I disabled the decompressor . It is simply a rack that lifts the exhaust valves to reduce compression so the engine turns over easier. Even at -20 C I only have to use the glow plugs for about 60 seconds. So I don't need the decompressor.:D:D Dusty

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Time for my story.

Same problem on an L3650. But arcing the starter produced the same results - no improvement or difference.

It turned out that the battery ground to the frame did not complete the circuit well enough - even with a new cable and cleaned up connectors/connections.

Eventually the battery was grounded to the engine block and all was well from then on. Lots of 12V problems involve grounding issues.

Last edited:

JWB

Jan 3, 2010
florida
Thanks for the info. Next time i'm at the property i'll pull the valve cover and check it out. I'll also check the ignition switch
JWB

ptwyz

Equipment
BX2660, FEL, tiller, disc cultivator, tine cultivator, rear blade, MMM, & more!!
Jan 7, 2010
McCutchenville, Ohio, USA
I have a question. How long does a glow plug last typically? Or do you need to go by number of uses rather than time? Here in Ohio it can get cold, but not -30º cold. At least not normally. Usually in the teens. How long should I "glow" or preheat at these temps?

Guess I should of typed, "I have a couple of questions".

Thank you!

Jayhawk238

Equipment
2004 L5030 HST/CAB
Oct 30, 2010
Featherville, ID, United States
I know this is way after the fact, however, on my Grand L5030 HST/CAB have both a block heater and a battery blanket and have no trouble with starting here in the mountains of Idaho. Another thing I have installed, and love it, and that's a remote starter! They work on any type transmissions. No more wading through deep snow to start my tractor. Now I start my tractor from the kitchen table drinking a hot cup of coffee! I also let my tractor warm up for at least 15 minutes. By doing that when I go to start blowing snow the engine oil and transmission fluids are warm and ready to work.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Remote start on a tractor! He's a wus!!!(BG)
I've never used the decompression lever on my l245 to start the eng but since several people mentioned it, I tried it. I warmed the glow plugs as usual and pulled the lever and hit the starter, 2 seconds later I released the decompression lever, the eng started IMMEDENTIALLY. Before it would hit on 1 then 2 cylinders and then start.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The clutch makes no difference on the glow plugs but a M 9000 just needs to be in neutral to crank. It doesn't require the clutch to be depressed to crank.