cant stop with mower going

dave haagenson

Equipment
L2201 modern brush cutter rb1441 tiller
Aug 11, 2012
oregon house, ca. us.
new tractor guy with modern brand for foot brush cutter .it's amazing what that thing will cut but when I push in the clutch the tractor keeps going .I have a grey z L 2201 it has about 1 and a half inches of free play on clutch pedal and that's the end of my adjustment .I believe it's the same chassis as the 1500 except mine has 3 cylinder .it has 2 high and low gear boxes does anyone know if it's a 2 stage clutch or do I need a new clutch, without the mower it stops fine when I push in the clutch ,any ideas would be appreciated thanks

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1500, 42" bh, box blade, G6200HST, Mahindra 450 with BH, FEL, etc.
First off, welcome to the site.

What you need is an "overrun clutch". They run about $59 locally. What is happening is the momentum of the bush hog is "pushing" the tractor. Doesn't matter how much you push in the clutch, as long as it is in gear you are going to move forward until the bush hog stops turning.

You may have to cut the length of the PTO shaft to accommodate the 6" length of the overrun clutch.

Be glad you found out about this before you took out a fence or worst.

Check how many spline you have but this should be the one you need http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MASSEY-FERGUSON-JD-IH-1-3-8-1-3-8-PTO-OVERRUN-CLUTCH-COUPLER-15514-/160880060637?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257532e8dd

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
X2. When you push in the clutch, you are disengaging the engine from the transmission, but the spinning mower is providing power to the transmission. An overrun clutch is a one-way ratchet that installs on your tractor pto. When you engage the pto and let out the clutch, the overrun clutch turns the shaft to the mower. When you push in the clutch, the spinning force of the mower doesn't translate through the drivetrain- it just spins the overrun clutch. Tractor Supply carries them. You will need to shorten your shaft. The overrun clutch can be used with any implement.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I was always under the impression that Kubota's had an over running clutch already built into them internally. I thought I read some where on here a long time ago and Vic had mentioned it. I could be wrong...

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Newer ones do, older ones don't.

dave haagenson

Equipment
L2201 modern brush cutter rb1441 tiller
Aug 11, 2012
oregon house, ca. us.
I know that the L1500 does not have it built in.
thank you guys so much for the information. I had some pretty scary moments brush hogging on a hillside through the pine trees in Northern California .the little orange tractor wanted to climb some trees . I will be heading down to Tractor Supply soon thanks a lot.