L2950 starting problem

MUSTANG

Nov 18, 2009
Arkansas
Hi guys. My L2950d_GST was running fine yesterday, but today won't start. Just a clicking/buzzing sound for about 10 seconds that appears to be coming fro under the instrument panel. Starter does not ingauge. Red guage lights came on and first inpression was that the forward/reverse lever was not in neutral position. Not the case. No headlights with key and switch on so charged battery ( battery was about drained ) Same thing. Different fully charged battery.... no change.

Fuse at starter checks good. Nothing blow in fuse box ...I am thinking now about the starter..., but cannot detect any noise from it. Does anyone know if this model uses a seperate silenoid between the key switch and starter or is it all built into the key switch ? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated before I start taking things apart.

MUSTANG

Nov 18, 2009
Arkansas
Thanks for your reply. Did not remove the original battery, but did disconnect the positive cable before recharging. The other battery that I tried was charged outside the tractor and a pair of jumper cables attached to it and the tractor frame and tractor positive cable with the battery on the ground..

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Thanks for your reply. Did not remove the original battery, but did disconnect the positive cable before recharging. The other battery that I tried was charged outside the tractor and a pair of jumper cables attached to it and the tractor frame and tractor positive cable with the battery on the ground..
If the battery is weak simply replace it and take the ignition switch out of the mix by using a push button remote starter across the solenoid and the heavy battery terminal cable and crank ( be prepared for it to start ) If no crank suspect the solenoid for being shorted internally if you have battery voltage at the solenoid terminal with the ignition key in the run ( not start position ).
I will attach a general photo showing a remote starter button switch.

Attachments

MUSTANG

Nov 18, 2009
Arkansas
Thank you guys for your suggestions. Tonite I will put new terminals on both battery cables and clean the post. Does anyone know if this model has the solenoid under the instrument panel between the switch and starter or is there something else that takes the place of a normal solenoid? Thanks again.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
I had a similar problem w/ my L35. To make a long story short, it was the ground connection to the frame that was corroded. Cleaned up the ground cable & frame and it worked normally. I've since added a 2nd ground connection to the frame. Hope this helps!

MUSTANG

Nov 18, 2009
Arkansas
Ok guys, I feel pretty stupid, but very lucky and a little more educated.

It did turn out to be the positive battery terminal connector... it was cracked....due to old age ( like me ). It sure had me going. Installed a new connector and cleaned the battery posts. Starts like it should.

I was getting beside myself as my Kubota is just below my wife and kids as far as my being attached !!

Thanks to everyone who offered help. This is a great site.

Last edited:

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
See? Most kubota problems are little things! We have very little problems with these tractors and when we do it is usually something the owner did or , if it's a new tractor, something I did when I was setting it up!
ALWAYS look for the simple answer first!
Ed

MUSTANG

Nov 18, 2009
Arkansas
SMALL&MIGHTY99 I sent you a private message last might to see what word you were talking about, but have not received your reply. As a summary of my message I did not intentionally post anything out of line or against site policy. In fact my post looks like what I sent: the same to me. Are you talking about my post or someone else. If I am at fault I will certainly apologize to everyone. Thank you.

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
:)Thanks for the kind words Mustang. I'm sure you will read a post or two and have an answer to help someone else and that's what it's all about.

MUSTANG

Nov 18, 2009
Arkansas
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was really worried. You folks have been very helpful and do appreciate it. My L2950 has been a great tractor and has served me well. The battery terminal connector will be a lesson I will not forget. Thanks again.:D