Options for cheap rubber edge for snow

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Here in southern Indiana we don't get a lot of snow--16" a year average, but occasionally 8" - 10" all at once. I've got a BX1870 with FEL and a 4' box blade. I was thinking I'd get a 5' blade for snow, just because I want more tractor accessories. But I think I might just use what I've got this winter and see how it goes. It'd be nice to save the money, and not have it taking up space for use just a few times a year.

I've got about a 150' gravel driveway to clear, and a few neighbors with shorter asphalt driveways whom I'd like to help out.

Been reading lots of options on PVC pipe, snow edges, and other options. I'm leaning toward using R2 Edge Tamers on my loader bucket. But I want to try using my box blade to pull snow away from garage doors, and maybe do some pushing as well. Adding a rubber edge seems like a good idea, and there have been some happy users of this kind of setup on other tractor forums.

The usual recommendation seems to be a piece cut from a thick rubber horse stall mat, avoiding the type that's made from compressed shredded rubber. Tractor Supply has something that apparently works well but 4' x 6' is way more than I need, and I'd rather spend less than $40.

Someone suggested using tire retreads that you sometimes see at the edge of the road. I'll keep my eye out, but now that I'm looking, I'm skeptical I'll find something.

So: Anybody got a lot of extra stall mat such that they might be willing to cut and sell me a strip?

I'm also wondering about just a used tire, but don't know what it would be like to cut one to size, especially if it has steel belts. Could a tire shop possibly do this for me cheaply?

Any other options? I've also read about conveyor belts, but don't know what to look for there.

Thanks!

L.C. Gray

Equipment
L3400, RTV500
May 14, 2016
Stephenville, Texas
Try to find some used conveyor belting from a rock quarry or sand pit. When they get ragged in the middle they get replaced, They're thick, heavy and tougher than a $2 steak. Rock haulers cut off pieces and use it for mud flaps on their rigs. Can possibly be had for free.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Try to find some used conveyor belting from a rock quarry or sand pit. .
Thanks for the suggestion! We have no shortage of rock quarries around here. Can I cut a section of this belt with a knife? I don't want to have to haul off a huge quantity since I only need a 4' strip.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thanks to Diydave who gave me this hint last year, I replaced my steel cutting edge on a back blade with a 6' piece of 5/4 plastic deck board like Trex. The edges are rounded and don't dig in. I didn't want to gouge up some new concrete that was poured into a v shaped drainage channel. It wore some on the corners but will be good for another season at least. Mine was free, I happened to stop and ask at the right store. I had to drill the holes and get a different set of bolts is all it took.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
FWIW, I have been able to get nice straight cuts in stall mats and belting with a worm drive circular saw. Smells bad and makes some smoke but, the results have been quite nice. If you end up buying a stall mat, throw what's left on the floor in front of your work bench. Nicer to stand on than concrete and it's there when you need to cut a new strip.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yes you can cut mine belt with a sharp razor knife and a straight edge. Mark the belt and score it several times with the knife, a little water in the cut will help smooth it out,,
If there is wire mesh or wire strands like in a tire, then use your grinder with a cut off wheel,, wear glasses an a dust mask a good dust mask, it will stink and make a lot of smoke if you use the cut off wheel use a fan to blow the smoke away from you

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
I have a bunch of one inch thick rubber belting. Used a circular saw to cut a strip off for on my blade. Haven't had a chance to test it out yet. If you get to Ohio let me know and you can have a piece.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Old belts from a round baler might work if that's available to you.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Thanks for the offers and suggestions! I can hardly wait for the next family drive with dad repeatedly pulling over to examine scraps of retreads. My wife and kids are gonna love that.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Thanks for the offers and suggestions! I can hardly wait for the next family drive with dad repeatedly pulling over to examine scraps of retreads. My wife and kids are gonna love that.
JackJ, those critters were called "alligators" by truck drivers in CB days.

lamanated

Equipment
BX
May 2, 2013
Zephyrhills Fl
I used 1/2 think belt the first yr and bumped up to 5/8 last yr,, worked better, left about 1 1/2" exposed..and more and when in float mode, the weight of a blade will prob cause the belt to fold over and take a set, You want a bit of a fold when plowing, but static, it shouldn;t be folding over too much,