Grapple

Equipment
L2501DT LA 525FL BH77
Mar 24, 2019
Ocala Florida
Recommendations on a root grapple other than the E.A wicked?

Im sure it a very nice root grapple, Im sure that its prob. better quality than most any root grapple to be found.....its 2 grand.

What can you guys suggest as a more affordable grapple for moving logs and brush around?

Titan17

Equipment
L3901 TLB, Caroni RFM, Scag Wildcat ZTR, Piranha TB,York RE 96", MTL HD 48" grap
Jan 13, 2019
Uncasville, CT
Buy used.
Be patient; they always pop up. People want to upgrade or liquidate all the time.

Set up alerts on Facebook, Craigslist, eBay, etc.

In the month that I began searching I found a top quality FCC ($4400. new)rock grapple in great shape for $1600 and the one that I bought - a never used Tomahawk for $525. There were probably a dozen more that were still overpriced but do some research and make a polite, non insulting offer.

Remember you lived without it for this long another month or so won't really matter.
The brush and logs aren't going anywhere.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com

SAITCHO

Equipment
B26,Tajfun logging winch,Box scraper, Log grapple
Sep 5, 2016
Canada
For me nothing beat a set of forks to move logs, you get extra reach to pick the log up and to stack them the way you want. I have a log clamp on my forks and most of the time I dont use it when moving logs around. If something unexpected happen, the log can tip on one side and not bring the tractor down. With experience its pretty easy to eyeball the center of the mass of the log. The log clamp is mainly used to pick up brush, and I can pick more brushes with my forks than most of the grapple out there there is just more capacity, I can max out the lift capacity of my B26 just by picking huge bunch of dead brush.

http://http://www.cotech.ca/produits/clamp-pour-fourche-palettes/clamp-pour-fourche-palettes

Titan17

Equipment
L3901 TLB, Caroni RFM, Scag Wildcat ZTR, Piranha TB,York RE 96", MTL HD 48" grap
Jan 13, 2019
Uncasville, CT
On close inspection of pictures (remember only pictures on my computer) I think MTL gives you most for your money. Their $890. grapple with free shipping has better features than similar priced Tomahawk, Titan, Pro Works, etc. Examples: greasable T ends on cylinder and rod end, bosses and pins instead of grade 5 bolts through flat plate at grapple pivots, A36 steel welded right here in USA (Americans are better welders). Titans are crated that way because they come right from China packed tightly in a container, MTL comes strapped to a pallet. I'm making this comparison to my Tomahawk that I bought used, I would've never bought it new for $890.

Regarding customer service at MTL; it's not good, when I contacted them about that - the owners reply was "we eliminated an office support staff and salesman which saves customers over $100. on each unit. We sell to customers that know what they're looking at". After my demo work is done I'll probably buy an MTL dual lid brush grapple for $999. delivered. Take a CLOSE look at it; it is the best for the money.
There are other good budget attachments but cost a little more than MTL when shipped. Sometimes it comes down to shipping and if you're close to an LTL terminal for pick up.

I don't work for MTL, I just know what I'm looking at.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
What do you plan on lifting with the grapple? You may be severely weight limited so be careful what you purchase. EA has a great reputation and offers very lightweight options. Personally I have Landpride, it is also expensive, but I am not sure they have the same weight/strength/value proposition in the lower end of their line. Also dont be afraid to try and get a Kubota Dealer to get competitive on pricing. The worst they can do is say no.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
On close inspection of pictures (remember only pictures on my computer) I think MTL gives you most for your money. Their $890. grapple with free shipping has better features than similar priced Tomahawk, Titan, Pro Works, etc. Examples: greasable T ends on cylinder and rod end, bosses and pins instead of grade 5 bolts through flat plate at grapple pivots, A36 steel welded right here in USA (Americans are better welders). Titans are crated that way because they come right from China packed tightly in a container, MTL comes strapped to a pallet. I'm making this comparison to my Tomahawk that I bought used, I would've never bought it new for $890.

Regarding customer service at MTL; it's not good, when I contacted them about that - the owners reply was "we eliminated an office support staff and salesman which saves customers over $100. on each unit. We sell to customers that know what they're looking at". After my demo work is done I'll probably buy an MTL dual lid brush grapple for $999. delivered. Take a CLOSE look at it; it is the best for the money.
There are other good budget attachments but cost a little more than MTL when shipped. Sometimes it comes down to shipping and if you're close to an LTL terminal for pick up.

I don't work for MTL, I just know what I'm looking at.
I bought an MTL grapple last year. I was looking for a grapple at a reasonable price, that wasn't too heavy, and didn't have to wait to be made, for personal use.

Ordered a 66" two lid for my L4240. Had it delivered to a business dock about a couple miles from the house. I got a call from the manager it was delivered, so went and had them put the pallet in my truck. I unloaded it but was too busy to mess with it and I had not had the 3rd function installed on the tractor yet.

Couple of days later I realized I had a 60" grapple. I called MTL and told them of the situation and then sent some pictures showing it. They called back and said they have to pick up that and send the correct one. He wondered if he gave me a discount I'd be satisfied with that one.

The price was $899 plus $149 shipping, but he offered me -400 is I kept it. So I paid $648 total due their shipping error. I can't say anything bad about their customer service.

I'm just thankful they speak English and not in the Philippines!

Titan17

Equipment
Jan 13, 2019
Uncasville, CT
There you go!!! Another smart guy (D2CAT) chooses MTL. Best bang for your buck. And IF there's a problem here's proof that they stand tall.

This is what I bought for $525 off Craigslist. Right in my town. No comparison to the MTL but on par with most of the other budget units around $1000. It'll do my demo work ok but won't stand years of commercial work.

Attachments

GA Tech Fan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701
Mar 23, 2020
Gray, GA
Trying to decide between clam type grapple and root type grapple like the one at MTL for $999. I've elite of dead trees down from pine beetles and some brush or piles of leaves. Any recommendations? Titan has theirs on sale right now but it's about $650 more.

Piper59

Equipment
L2501 w fel,howse 5ft.bush hog,howse 5ft.bb,piranha TB,MTL Grapple, Titan forks
Aug 21, 2019
Orangefield,Tx.
I bought an MTL grapple two months ago and have been using it daily. REASONABLY priced and works great.

Brian H

Equipment
MX5200HST, MTL RK5 Gr, Ford 850, King Kutter brush hog, rototiller, blade, disk.
Feb 8, 2019
Waupaca, WI
I am currently struggling over what type to buy also. It seems the root style would suit my needs more than the rock style. Is a single claw or double claw better for picking up brush and logs? Can anybody comment on the durability of yhe MTL Root Style? Has it held up to pushing?

Smokeless

Equipment
3901/Loader/Rear Blade/Box Blade/LP Mower/Pallet forks IH M,,Cub & sickle mower
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
if I would have seen this thread prior to buying Titan forks I would have purchased MTL forks. Titan works for me, just MTL looks better and not that more.

gkk2001

Equipment
F3680, L3800 HST
Aug 14, 2011
Central GA, USA
I am also looking to purchase and have not decided completely. My logic so far, the flat bottom (non-clamshell style) will allow me to manually pick up the odd shaped pieces and place them on the flat bottom. If you miss a few pieces with the clam shell, that means another trip to the brush pile which means more time.
I would rather have high efficiency picking up with fewer brush pile trips. I think the flat bottom will offer that.