Trailer Bearings, how many miles before you change them?

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I’ve got a 20’ trailer that I bought new two years ago. I rarely use it but it got me thinking when I pulled my tractor home 50 miles yesterday.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Keep them greased and they'll last a very long time. We have 20-some trailers at work.
Most have tandem axles and are in the range from 5,000# to 10,000#. These trailers have traveled tens of thousands of miles. I'd bet we've replaced more equalizers than bearings.

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
B2400, LA352, RC60, Cammond Box Blade
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
keep the bearings greased and they will last a lifetime.

trailers are usually the most "least maintained" vehicle in most fleets.

regular maintenance on the hubs and bearings and brakes and you'll have few worries

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Get yourself a set of Bearing Buddy's and follow the instructions for greasing. Too much grease in a Buddy will blow out he rear seal.

I have the original bearings in my tandem axle gooseneck and it's went many. many miles. I do brakes and equalizers more than bearings.

I repack my GN every 2 years. To that end, get yourself a bearing packer, great investment because it forces grease in the bearings from the inside out and forces the old grease out at the same time.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If it doesn't have greaseable hubs already get some bearing buddy's. I actually prefer the buddy's because they're spring loaded to push grease in while you run and have a overflow hole so you can't over grease. Use a quality grease and the bearings most likely will last a life time.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
G...Too much grease in a Buddy will blow out he rear seal.....
Sidecar, I know you are a maintenance-knowledgeable guy...but you are incorrect on that matter. Bearing Buddies are spring-loaded from the zerk-plate and if over-greased the spring will relieve the pressure and the excess grease will flow out the front and all over your grease-fitting end.

The problem I have with Bearing Buddies is they tend to lead owners into disregarding the need to inspect bearings occasionally. Most natural/mineral/petroleum greases do indeed wear-out over time and that can lead to bearing failure. If an owner with Bearing Buddies never removes, cleans out the old grease, inspects the bearings and races, and renew the grease and seal.... then the first indication of a problem is a bearing failure out on the highway somewhere. Just because they're easy to service with grease... only means they are easy to keep-serviced with grease. They do not promote regular inspection. Bearings should be inspected every year whether equipped with Bearing Buddies or not, IMO. I do it when I renew my trailer plates.

Hope this helps.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you keep them well greased they will last a lifetime.

I have 20K + miles on my 20 footer and with a last summer inspection the bearings still look new. ;)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sidecar, I know you are a maintenance-knowledgeable guy...but you are incorrect on that matter. Bearing Buddies are spring-loaded from the zerk-plate and if over-greased the spring will relieve the pressure and the excess grease will flow out the front and all over your grease-fitting end.

The problem I have with Bearing Buddies is they tend to lead owners into disregarding the need to inspect bearings occasionally. Most natural/mineral/petroleum greases do indeed wear-out over time and that can lead to bearing failure. If an owner with Bearing Buddies never removes, cleans out the old grease, inspects the bearings and races, and renew the grease and seal.... then the first indication of a problem is a bearing failure out on the highway somewhere. Just because they're easy to service with grease... only means they are easy to keep-serviced with grease. They do not promote regular inspection. Bearings should be inspected every year whether equipped with Bearing Buddies or not, IMO. I do it when I renew my trailer plates.

Hope this helps.
I could be but I have them on my trailer I haul my quad on when I go camping and I managed to pop the rear seal on one wheel with over greasing. Could have just been me however. My GN don't. The axles on my GN are oil bath. The big maintenance item on that is the electric brakes. I agree with Wolfman, if you keep the pre-load right and grease them, they will outlast you.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
If it doesn't have greaseable hubs already get some bearing buddy's. I actually prefer the buddy's because they're spring loaded to push grease in while you run and have a overflow hole so you can't over grease. Use a quality grease and the bearings most likely will last a life time.

+1 on the bearing buddies. Another advantage is that the light spring pressure prevents water entry if the hub gets submerged. More of an issue with a boat trailer, but I suppose someone might be hauling their tractor down a muddy trail.

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I have bearing buddies and I do keep them greased. I probably won’t put 500 miles on the trailer every year. However, I want to do whatever I can to prevent getting stuck on the side of the highway. I always stop mid trip and check the bearings for excessive heat. Thanks for the feedback.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I could be but I have them on my trailer I haul my quad on when I go camping and I managed to pop the rear seal on one wheel with over greasing. Could have just been me however. My GN don't. The axles on my GN are oil bath. The big maintenance item on that is the electric brakes. I agree with Wolfman, if you keep the pre-load right and grease them, they will outlast you.
It may be possible to pop the seal...IF... you are pressing VERY HARD onto the zerk fitting with your grease-gun (especially if it's equipped with a hard-tube-greaser and not a hose.) The pressure against the zerk will hold the zerk plate into over-riding the spring and perhaps the seal might be popped in that case.... but ordinarily the grease gun end-fitting should snap onto the zerk and no physical force should be applied by the operator... only grease-pressure from the gun. ;)