Considering L3250 with FEL and backhoe...?

SmallChange

Equipment
B6200D
Jun 14, 2018
Port Deposit, MD
How good an idea is buying this L3250 with LA650 loader and Woods Groundbreaker 6500 three point PTO backhoe? The meter says 1555 hours. The front ag tires are so worn the lugs are no longer present on the centerline. The rear tires look replaced and still have some mold flashing. Would we guess the hour meter is on its first time around, or second or more? It’s got just a little rust on spots that got stressed and paint worn off around where one’s feet go. Both tractor and backhoe seats are shot. The fuel cap is missing, with baggies and rubber bands instead. It’s at a Kubota dealer in Delaware, who’s asking $9000 for it and says that other than needing a new seat, and having a little oil seepage that does not require fixing, everything checks out on it. I’m contemplating offering the asking price if they’ll add a new seat and new front tires, and working from there. I don’t need financing.

I’m not certain what is standard on an L3250 and there are NONE listed at TractorHouse.com. This one has 4WD, high/low range shifter near the fender, a forward-reverse column shifter to the left, a 4 speed column shifter to the right, and a ROPS. From what I can make out, the L3250 is a sturdy model built from ’89 to ‘91

Am I right to believe these are “shuttle shift”? Do these require clutching when shifting? Seems like the Internet has as many different explanations of how shifters operate as the dealer has tractors. Also, there’s a control I don’t understand, a big knob on a stout shaft that points rearward, coming through a vertical slot below the steering column, at about the same height as the pedals. It’s close to where the brake pedal latch is on my B6200 which also moves vertically, but this knob looks pretty serious for a brake pedal latch. The 2WD/4WD shifter, PTO shifter, and differential lock pedal are all accounted for. Anyone know what it is?

What I want the tractor for is snow removal on my long gravel driveway, which has a huge cup-de-sac such that I have to move snow a long distance to get rid of it and sometimes need to pile it high. And also for various things around the property, like moving gravel, some light digging, driving a PTO auger (100 fence posts last summer!), and running a landscape rake.

This would replace my B6200 4WD, which I bought for $5000 about 25 years ago at the dealer, and which has a dozer blade on it. They thought the hour meter had already been around at least once when I bought it. I had the shop fix stripped clutch splines and also a broken shifter lever within the last few years, and replaced the water pump myself and am replacing a broken alternator bracket as soon as the new one comes in. The dealer says it’s only worth $2500 or so and they don’t want to take it in trade.

I probably need to keep a tractor available for 10 to 20 more years. I’m fine with non-synchro manual transmissions with clutches.

I wouldn’t mind something heavier and less old, with better lift capacity on the 3 point for when I pull up small stumps with my ripper/subsoiler, and would LOVE to have the loader. The backhoe would be a nifty extra but I probably wouldn’t spend more than $2000 to add one (the dealer’s not interested in removing it and lowering the price).

So, does this sound like a good move? Or should I quietly bide my time and watch the used tractor market for something different?

I will post pics when I figure out how again....

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Looks pretty clapped out to me. 1550 on the meter, no way. Probably disconnected for years or not operating (did you see if it was)?

I run bar tread tires on my M's and do a lot of pavement running between fields and I have 2500 plus hours on both tractors and my front tires are maybe half worn down. Maybe.

I'd say it has over 5000 hard hours on it.

9? no way, maybe 5. 9 for a sucker IMO.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Your comment here, "Both tractor and backhoe seats are shot. The fuel cap is missing, with baggies and rubber bands instead. It’s at a Kubota dealer in Delaware, who’s asking $9000 for it..." tells me I'm not interested.

If the previous owner didn't care to keep the fuel clean i'm not guessing what else he didn't do! That thing has been rode hard and put away wet!! I'm guessing you buy it, and you'll spend a good part of the 10-20 years you need it with it needing repairs to be able to use it. Move on....

I bought an L3250 two years ago that could be that one's sister. Front tires looked just like those, machine beat to crap. It ran. Was used in a horse breeding farm in Okla. Used every day to haul off processed hay. I sold it to a scrap yard for $1200 when I discovered the slight tapping noise was not an injector, but a spun bearing on the crank.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have a lot of respect for D2Cat’s buying, selling and negotiating savvy and advice.

His recommendation doesn’t change that one iota.....I wouldn’t go there....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
RCW, you're too nice!

I looked on Cl in MD. Not many choices as compared to here. I'd expand my search field towards the West. Might take a little more time, but I believe you can come up with a much better tractor at a good price, and that would include hiring someone to move it to you for 9K!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
CL = Craigs List. D2 and I both use it regularly. Got some good bargains on it like my 10 foot snowplow.

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Don't paint yourself into a corner with just Kubotas. $10-$11,000 in cash, can get you alot of tractor. Quite a bit more than that B7510, IMO.

SmallChange

Equipment
B6200D
Jun 14, 2018
Port Deposit, MD
Don't paint yourself into a corner with just Kubotas. $10-$11,000 in cash, can get you alot of tractor. Quite a bit more than that B7510, IMO.
I've wondered about that, too. I've looked at a few New Holland tractors and liked them (I don't remember any model numbers though). There was one very appealing small 4WD that was brand new and would have been somewhere around $24,000 with a loader -- not that I'm considering spending that much, but, it surprised me a little that it was that affordable. I liked that it had fairly large front wheels, as it seemed that would help with getting over obstacles when I need to work in the woods, and might help with deep snow sometimes too. I've driven my B6200 out of the pole barn into deep snow and had it come to a complete stop -- differential locked and at least three wheels spinning, the ag lugs going bubbubbub and the machine going nowhere fast.

I happen to live maybe 40 minutes from the (a?) New Holland factory and we see a lot of them around here, and I hear good things about them.

Is there a bluetractortalks.com?

So, I think it'd be possible to go as far as $15,000 if I felt pretty confident it was a fair price for a good tractor. But, tuppence is tuppence, and if I found something decent for half that, I could also be happy. And there's not especially any rush. My B6200 alternator bracket and fan belt finally came in today, so I'm hardly stuck.