Kubota BX24 HST

LeatherneckOld1971

Equipment
Kubota Bx24 &Struck Magnatrac MH7000
Mar 24, 2019
Temple, Tx USA
I just replaced the hydraulic oil filter and cleaned the suction screen. Added new oil. It's still blowing out hydraulic oil/fluid until the 3-point hitch and FEL won't operate. However, the tractor will still go forward and reverse. Can anyone tell me whats wrong? Thanks.................. Tim

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
Hi Tim. Did this just start doing this ,I don't have a answer but just trying to get more info ? where is the oil blowing out of,is this in a cold area.is it possible to have ice build up in a vent tube somewhere or dust debris insect nests mud ? plugging a vent on the trans. I'am no expert but I do know that if the vent tube or cap is plugged on differentials / trans etc; oil will be forced out oil seals around axles /pinions etc: Just giving you something to possibly look for ,think about etc:

Last edited:

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hi Tim. Did this just start doing this ,I don't have a answer but just trying to get more info ? where is the oil blowing out of,is this in a cold area.is it possible to have ice build up in a vent tube somewhere or dust debris insect nests mud ? plugging a vent on the trans. I'am no expert but I do know that if the vent tube or cap is plugged on differentials / trans etc; oil will be forced out oil seals around axles /pinions etc: Just giving you something to possibly look for ,think about etc:
It is not uncommon for the metal tube from the Hyd pump around to the power beyond adapter to crack at the flare on either end. The replacement is a hose from Kubota or you can have a hose made up at any hyd shop.

LeatherneckOld1971

Equipment
Mar 24, 2019
Temple, Tx USA
Wasn't cold when this happened, and yes it just happened (I'm in central TX). Where's the vent on the transmission? Where is the metal tube from the Hydraulic pump to the Power Beyond adapter located? Wish I had a garage/workshop with a lift to make it easier to verify exactly where the leak is. I'm an old retired/disabled Marine vet and I'm not as "nimble" as I once was.! My ex got the house, 3 acres and 2 vehicles (all already paid for) and I "got the shaft".!! (I'm sure you've heard the old country western song "She Got the Gold Mine And I Got the Shaft!")

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
Hi Tim the vent is under the seat on top of the trans its a red looking button thing. Not sure how it comes off. If you want to do a google search: type in BX 24 hst trans vent location. you'll see a bunch of links you can click on and read . I looked at some of them and there's some interesting reading.

LeatherneckOld1971

Equipment
Mar 24, 2019
Temple, Tx USA
Hi Tim the vent is under the seat on top of the trans its a red looking button thing. Not sure how it comes off. If you want to do a google search: type in BX 24 hst trans vent location. you'll see a bunch of links you can click on and read . I looked at some of them and there's some interesting reading.
Do you have the Illustrated Parts Breakdown (IPB) for the BX24. If so, could you post a picture that shows that "vent". Thanks ........... Tim

LeatherneckOld1971

Equipment
Mar 24, 2019
Temple, Tx USA
It is not uncommon for the metal tube from the Hyd pump around to the power beyond adapter to crack at the flare on either end. The replacement is a hose from Kubota or you can have a hose made up at any hyd shop.
If you have the IPB (parts breakdown) for the BX24, could you post a picture of the metal tube running from Hyd pump to the Power Beyond adapter. Would greatly appreciate that. Or, take a picture of your BX24 showing this. Thanks ................ Tim (Old MGySgt)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you have the IPB (parts breakdown) for the BX24, could you post a picture of the metal tube running from Hyd pump to the Power Beyond adapter. Would greatly appreciate that. Or, take a picture of your BX24 showing this. Thanks ................ Tim (Old MGySgt)
Tim you can see all the parts on your tractor, just go to:
https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/

Click Illustrated parts,
Agree to legal,
Put BX24 in model
Under book click open
Then you will have the entire tractor in parts.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The hyd line I referred to goes from the hyd pump on the left side of the transaxle by the left rear wheel, around the back of the transaxle below the top link attachment bracket to the fittings on the right side that go to the loader control valve. I don't have a parts diagram handy and my tractor is 60 miles away!

Sqidget

Equipment
BX24
Feb 5, 2011
Richmond, RI
How much fluid do you lose before the hydraulics stop working? Or do they not work at all immediately?
One other leak point I have seen has been the bleeder hose from the top of HST block to top of the trans case. They are usually gnawed through by mice making nests on top of the trans under the fuel tank. If you go to the link NIW gave, https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/
search bx24, then select pump/motor system,
then drawing j21002 for hydraulic oil line- delivery. look for item 120
replacement requires the fuel tank to be removed. it makes quite a mess and is hard to pinpoint the source.

LeatherneckOld1971

Equipment
Mar 24, 2019
Temple, Tx USA
How much fluid do you lose before the hydraulics stop working? Or do they not work at all immediately?
One other leak point I have seen has been the bleeder hose from the top of HST block to top of the trans case. They are usually gnawed through by mice making nests on top of the trans under the fuel tank. If you go to the link NIW gave, https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/
search bx24, then select pump/motor system,
then drawing j21002 for hydraulic oil line- delivery. look for item 120
replacement requires the fuel tank to be removed. it makes quite a mess and is hard to pinpoint the source.
The Illustrated Parts had me confused. J21002, item 120 is labeled as "Tube, Fuel".!! Thanks Sqidget. The FEL and 3-point hitch don't work after most of the fluid has blown out but the tractor will still go forward and reverse. Is this normal??

Last edited:

Sqidget

Equipment
BX24
Feb 5, 2011
Richmond, RI
Yes, it's kind of misleading, the description given is fuel tube , only due to it being the same rubber line as a fuel return line.
When the loader and 3 point stop, I believe it is acting normal due to the flow priority valve, it will always attempt to deliver flow to the power steering, pto and charge pump circuit. they are all fed by one circuit. If you have lost enough fluid that it can't supply both circuits, no flow will be directed to the tractor circuit. (loader and 3pt) This is also why the BX tractors have extremely slow or no hyd at idle. it is sending all flow to the prioritized circuit.

There are some very affordable borescopes that use your smartphone as a screen. Perhaps you could use one to poke around and attempt to see the leak while it's running. (carefully)

LeatherneckOld1971

Equipment
Mar 24, 2019
Temple, Tx USA
Yes, it's kind of misleading, the description given is fuel tube , only due to it being the same rubber line as a fuel return line.
When the loader and 3 point stop, I believe it is acting normal due to the flow priority valve, it will always attempt to deliver flow to the power steering, pto and charge pump circuit. they are all fed by one circuit. If you have lost enough fluid that it can't supply both circuits, no flow will be directed to the tractor circuit. (loader and 3pt) This is also why the BX tractors have extremely slow or no hyd at idle. it is sending all flow to the prioritized circuit.

There are some very affordable borescopes that use your smartphone as a screen. Perhaps you could use one to poke around and attempt to see the leak while it's running. (carefully)
Well, you were exactly on target. Some mice had built a nest up in there and gnawed away a sizeable chunk of that hose/tube. I had to give up pulling the fuel tank tonight because of the mosquitoes.!! Plus, I'm still hurting from a fall almost 4 weeks ago.

Last edited:

LeatherneckOld1971

Equipment
Mar 24, 2019
Temple, Tx USA
I'm glad you found it. Take your time and take care of yourself.
Thanks. I'm an old, worn out Marine but I still try to think young. However, my body reminds me every day that I'm not 25 anymore! Hate not being able to do the things I used to do.!! I went to several auto parts store before I found what I needed at Advance Auto. It'll have to wait because Sat and Sun we're getting bad weather here in Texas.