Torque Wrench

Papadiver

Equipment
BX2380 FEL, MMM, 3rd Valve, Grapple
Feb 10, 2019
WV
What brand and type are you using? I need a new one. I don’t want to break the bank on one but I need an accurate one.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Good torque wrenches (click type) indicate torque readings in both directions tightening RH threads and tightening LH threads which is important to me but maybe not others. Harbor Freight just came out with their Icon 1/2" drive and 3/8" drive wrenches that indicate in both directions for $99.00 each with a no questions money back guarantee. I just bought the 1/2" drive wrench.

I also have a Snap-On dial wrench in 3/8 drive and a Blackhawk dial wrench in 3/4 drive for the big stuff.

I know HF's money back guarantee is good, I've used it before on other stuff.

They also came out with (non-related) a 4 1/2" air operated angle grinder, grabbed one of those as well for $119.00. The cheapest I could find anywhere was at MSC, a IR grinder on sale for $219.00. A hundred bucks off isn't bad.

We use a lot of air tools in the shop, all the time.

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
I've got a 1/2" and 3/8" Tekton that I got from Amazon. Picked them up when they were ligthening deals and got a nice discount. Work well and decent price.

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-Torqu...Wrench&qid=1553341671&s=hi&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1

Ted
I use the same Tekton brand, in 1/2" [model# 24340] and 3/8" [model# 24330]. I have the long handle 250ft-lb 1/2" drive version for doing crank pulley bolts. Can't say how accurate they are, as I've never had them tested or calibrated, but they certainly didn't break the bank.
Tekton tools are pretty decent, and they have great customer service.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I use the same Tekton brand, in 1/2" [model# 24340] and 3/8" [model# 24330]. I have the long handle 250ft-lb 1/2" drive version for doing crank pulley bolts. Can't say how accurate they are, as I've never had them tested or calibrated, but they certainly didn't break the bank.
Tekton tools are pretty decent, and they have great customer service.
I went and checked them out and as I suspected, they are only right hand torque wrenches, IOW only indicate prevailing torque on RH threaded fasteners. That is a problem for me as you cannot set prevailing torque on LH threads and the one thing I use LH torque wrench for is setting the prevailing torque on Dana 60 and 80 full floating axles where the right hand axle stubs are LH threaded.

I like the comment about where they are made too. Taiwan over China. Both seem to me to be oriential.

Why I grabbed the Icon, it's LH and RH

If you don't need LH prevailing torque they are fine but so are the HF less expensive wrenches which are even less expensive than the Tektron.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I saw a fairly recent review/comparison of the HF brand with two other "tool truck" brands.

The HF did very well. I wouldn't hesitate to use one at all.

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
I went and checked them out and as I suspected, they are only right hand torque wrenches, IOW only indicate prevailing torque on RH threaded fasteners. That is a problem for me as you cannot set prevailing torque on LH threads and the one thing I use LH torque wrench for is setting the prevailing torque on Dana 60 and 80 full floating axles where the right hand axle stubs are LH threaded.

I like the comment about where they are made too. Taiwan over China. Both seem to me to be oriential.

Why I grabbed the Icon, it's LH and RH

If you don't need LH prevailing torque they are fine but so are the HF less expensive wrenches which are even less expensive than the Tektron.
Neat.
I have never needed a left hand TQ wrench. But I appreciate your input. Are there no LH fasteners on your "BIG M's", to use the LH TQ wrench on? I had a HF TQ wrench before I bought these two, it too worked fine for me, gave it to my brother, and it continues to work for him.

BTW, "oriental" is considered by many, to be a racist slur, FYI.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Neat.
I have never needed a left hand TQ wrench. But I appreciate your input. Are there no LH fasteners on your "BIG M's", to use the LH TQ wrench on? I had a HF TQ wrench before I bought these two, it too worked fine for me, gave it to my brother, and it continues to work for him.

BTW, "oriental" is considered by many, to be a racist slur, FYI.
I don't besides I like Oriental food. How do you describe something oriental without saying or writing it? I got it, Grey Market Torque wrench......:D

Nothing left handed on my M's except maybe the operator that I know of.:eek:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Oriental this or that (describing a region or object) is fine and correct.

Describing a person or individual as Oriental is considered offensive and a slur. ;)

Calling them oriental rugs, Oriental foods, or this or that from the orient is fine.

So technically, an oriental Torque wrench is an acceptable use of the term.

But calling Jackie Chan an oriental is offensive, (Awesome actor and stunt person BTW!).

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I got it, Grey Market Torque wrench......:D
No that would be wrong.
A grey or gray market refers to the trade of a commodity through distribution channels that are legal, but unintended by the original manufacturer or trade mark proprietor.

I'm pretty sure Harbor freight wants us to buy all the tools and products we can from them!

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Go on Garage Journal website, great site for tool info...there are several threads that have great info about torque wrench’s ...

I like these CDIs that I got after reading the threads and the pros and cons...and cost issues...
46B70665-B67C-4AB5-AD48-03BFD25794AC.jpg

281F3473-26E4-4B62-95AB-46463D6E6060.jpg

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Im one that needs a LH torque wrench..... but it must go up to 450lb. big truck.... big lug nuts .... one side truck is left... one side right.

but Im going to make sure all are torqued properly...... then mark all the lug nuts and the wheel so if one puts the nuts back on the same bolts.... and you tighten them till the markings match.. your good to go.... that will be the same torque.

fun part will be the spare tire..... I'll have to repeat the process for every wheel location and mark each on the spare rim*. AKA- 4 markings for each of the ten lug holes; one for each location.

* rim can only be installed one way due to CTIS fitting

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Im going to make sure all are torqued properly...... then mark all the lug nuts and the wheel so if one puts the nuts back on the same bolts.... and you tighten them till the markings match.. your good to go.... that will be the same torque.
That will not work, as temperature, humidity, and a ton of other factors plays a role in torque of a nut or bolt, so it changes all the time, otherwise they would just mark everything at the factory and say go to the mark. ;)

And how are you really going to know if it's right if it binds slightly at a turn?
Could be disastrous!

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Coach - -

I'm with Wolfman wholeheartedly.

Simply marking lugs and wheels doesn't work....doesn't work at all!

WAY too many variables in that scenario.....

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
No that would be wrong.
A grey or gray market refers to the trade of a commodity through distribution channels that are legal, but unintended by the original manufacturer or trade mark proprietor.

I'm pretty sure Harbor freight wants us to buy all the tools and products we can from them!
Thanks, I'll refer to them as Oriental Torque wrenches then and my Oriental rugs as such as well, have quite a few....lol

I bet most everyone has some HF stuff in their tool box. Hard to beat their SAE and Metric Impact sockets too and their carbon pile battery tester ain't bad either. I've beat their impact sockets hard, real hard and never had one fail yet. Cannot say that for Snap-On impacts. Split a Snap-On 7/16" right down the side and I still have it. A reminder to me that sometimes a cheaper set (HF20 bucks) is better. The Snap-On from the tool truck cost 20 bucks alone.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Im one that needs a LH torque wrench..... but it must go up to 450lb. big truck.... big lug nuts .... one side truck is left... one side right.

but Im going to make sure all are torqued properly...... then mark all the lug nuts and the wheel so if one puts the nuts back on the same bolts.... and you tighten them till the markings match.. your good to go.... that will be the same torque.

fun part will be the spare tire..... I'll have to repeat the process for every wheel location and mark each on the spare rim*. AKA- 4 markings for each of the ten lug holes; one for each location.

* rim can only be installed one way due to CTIS fitting
Maybe you and I need to discuss the Blackhawk 3/4 drive dial wrench I have. I hardly ever use it, really no need. Comes in a nice fitted metal box with 3/4 to 1/2 adapter too. Good to (I think, need to check) 500 foot pounds.

One thing that people need to keep in mind is there is wet torque and dry torque. Wet torque is when the threads are lubricated with oil or never seize. Dry torque is just that, threads are dry and free from oil or grease.

I got the Blackhawk for torquing the 10 hole Bud's on my big truck but it's just as easy for me to call a tire service.

I also have a 1/2 to 3/4 drive torque multiplier., good for 1200 foot pounds.

Talenel

Equipment
B2601HST
Dec 10, 2018
Staples, MN
A good quality anti seize, steel wheels, and studs/nuts that have been set good, you might get away with marking because it will be really close.

But.... the same anti seize, studs/nuts that are set good, but with alloy wheels... retorque EVERY time.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Me, I'll err on the side of using a torque wrench every time because I have them.

One thing to always remember with any torque wrench is when you put it away, reduce the set torque to the lowest setting because the internal spring, if compressed can cause an error down the road. Of course that don't apply to a beam wrench or a dial wrench, only a clicker wrench.

Big Gee Tn

Equipment
L2501
Dec 12, 2018
White Pine,tn
CDI produces Snap-on torque wrenches,at least in 3/8" size ,because I have one of each and both were inspected by the same guy and inspection cards are identical other than lack of Snap-on on card of CDI wrench.Just some info.