bx2200 died

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
RCW- I have a pilot's license. One of the first things I was taught was to keep the tanks full so I'd avoid condensation. Tractors should have little drains like plane tanks, so you can pull a sample off the bottom and look for water. lol At least when the tractor tank has water in it and it does, you're still on the ground!

As far as chain saws go, I was not a kid. I bought a Poulan 35 years ago that has served me well and never had that problem- the oil cap is smaller than the gas cap. My "friend" bought a Stihl, then decided she wanted to cut wood too instead of just carrying it, so we got another, bigger one. On both, the gas cap and oil cap are exactly the same size and color, so if I filled them upside down (I guess), I'd eff up. Gas in the oil isn't so bad. Oil in the gas sucks, especially if it gets into the carb. I've since learned that the muffler is close to the oil and the oil cap usually has a bunch of sawdust stuck to it, whereas the gas cap doesn't. Not to mention, the gas cap is at the handle end of the saw and the oil is by the bar. lol You'd think it would be obvious, wouldn't you?!

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
North Idaho- and there it is, right on the homepage. lol I did say I don't see what I'm looking right at, didn't I!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
At least when the tractor tank has water in it and it does, you're still on the ground!

As far as chain saws go, I was not a kid. On both, the gas cap and oil cap are exactly the same size and color, so if I filled them upside down (I guess), I'd eff up. Gas in the oil isn't so bad. Oil in the gas sucks
So true - - never thought my life was in danger due to diesel fuel issues, although there are circumstances I think "Please don't quit or stall right now"...especially on steep spots. At least I could just step off....;)

I was a "wood cutter" for quite a few years...firewood, spruce pulpwood, tried fence posts (once). Love a chainsaw, and was a decent novice at using one in my younger days. Still have a Stihl 046 Magnum, although I seldom need a saw that big.

I think the saw I messed up was a little Skil chainsaw with a 12" bar. I was 10-12, and used it for limbing. It was common for a "farm kid" to do that kind of stuff.

After I did that with the 'saw, Dad was so pissed I don't think I remember the rest of the day, but I NEVER did it again! :):)

Last edited:

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
My dad had a big old craftsman or something. He never used it much after I was 7 or 8, so it didn't run when I was 12 or so and an oak fell down in our timber. He got out the old 2 man crosscut and away we went. Something I think you never forget how to use, like a bicycle.

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
Now, I AM NOT HAPPY!!!

When it died originally, it was when I started going up an incline. Once, after the new filters, it did it very briefly. I just came up our long hill and about 1/3 of the way up, it lost power, started missing, and would blow a bit of smoke and shudder a bit when it missed. Is there something about the design of that fuel tank that holds water above the tube so that when you go up a hill, it dribbles down? I'm thinking I need to drain the tank tomorrow, bleed the system again, and start over.

Thoughts?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The tank on my BX2360 is a really funky shape.

You might be correct.

Block or jack up one side and siphon or pump.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
So, the saga continued. I decided to check the oil before I started it this morning. Odd, that- who checks oil? It was a strong quart overfilled. I think what happened is that when she checked it a month or so ago, she'd just turned it off and there was a lot of oil still up in the engine. Plus, being used to cars that take 5-6 quarts, she probably thought that the low mark is a quart low. Add the two together and voila- a quart overfilled.

So, I drained a quartish and started it up. Runs fine Guess we'll wait to see if more water shows up. Funny- when we did electrolysis in High School chemistry, hydrogen exploded and Oxygen accelerated burning. But mix them together and you have the enemy of combustion.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
So, the saga continued. I decided to check the oil before I started it this morning. Odd, that- who checks oil? It was a strong quart overfilled. I think what happened is that when she checked it a month or so ago, she'd just turned it off and there was a lot of oil still up in the engine. Plus, being used to cars that take 5-6 quarts, she probably thought that the low mark is a quart low. Add the two together and voila- a quart overfilled.

So, I drained a quartish and started it up. Runs fine Guess we'll wait to see if more water shows up. Funny- when we did electrolysis in High School chemistry, hydrogen exploded and Oxygen accelerated burning. But mix them together and you have the enemy of combustion.
another question.....
when you turn the key......to the "on" position....not crank, do you hear the constant ticking of the fuel pump? On the BX - the pump can go out and still run fine UNTIL the gravity works against the pump....typically going uphill will make it hiccup. A half empty tank will do it too;)

I think you are on the right track - drain again, might need that filter changed again too.;)

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
Hokie- My guess is that it still had a bit of water in it, which is cleared now. I used it to pull some saw limbs around most of the afternoon. It probably ran for an hour and a half or so with no issues.

Would the oil being overfilled as much as it was effect performance?

Thanks
David

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
Doggott, I fought the exact same problem you're fighting now on my BX22. Change filters, drain tank, bleed lines. Run good for a little while then same thing all over again. I felt like I was head butting a Bodock stump. Since Kubota filters are more expensive than an aftermarket filter I went to a local parts house and picked up a pair of WIX fuel filters. That was 4 years ago and haven't had a problem since. The only difference I see between the Kubota and WIX filter is the WIX is a screen type and Kubota is a paper type.

Last edited:

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
Doggott, I fought the exact same problem you're fighting now on my BX22. Change filters, drain tank, bleed lines. Run good for a little while then same thing all over again. I felt like I was head butting a Bodock stump. Since Kubota filters are more expensive than an aftermarket filter I went to a local parts house and picked up a pair of WIX fuel filters. That was 4 years ago and haven't had a problem since. The only difference I see between the Kubota and WIX filter is the WIX is a screen type and Kubota is a paper type.
Ehenry- the filters were only $7.50 each, but the dealer is 40 miles away. If I can get filters that work from NAPA- they're 2 blocks from my office. Just didn't know if they'd carry, so didn't think to ask.

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
Dggott, you might want to advise her to check the oil before starting the job, not after!
D2Cat- we had a gentle conversation about that. Very gentle- she's more sensitive than I am. LOL

The fuel tank on these is such a weird shape- I suppose you have to get the water out of both sides before you know you've beat it. They should put a petcock on them.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Would the oil being overfilled as much as it was effect performance?
Nope not at all, there are stories of people having leaking seals on the hydraulic pumps, and filling the motor with hydraulic oil and never feeling a thing till it spit oil out the breather. ;)

And no your model can't do that, as the BX's have the hydraulic pumps attached to the rear end and not the motor. ;)

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
The cost of the filters wasn't really an issue but the dealer having to order them every time I needed a pair was a PIA. The WIX part number is 33972. NAPA number is 3972. $15 wasn't going to break me.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can also order the Kubota brand filters on line and delivered to your door. Just keep on shelf until needed and avoid trips to dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
ok, so here's an update... I wanted to plow the garden last fall, but couldn't find a 1 bottom anywhere. This spring, a great neighbor said I could borrow his middle buster. Not a 1 bottom, but worked well when went one direction, then back over the other direction on sod, and 1 direction only on previously tilled soil. Turf tires aren't the best for this... anyway, I'd be going along and the bx would pull down like it had a really heavy load from time to time. A couple of times, it shuddered and shook (redundant, I know), but didn't die. I'd stop and wait for what seemed forever (10 seconds tops), and it would clear up and purr. It didn't do it later, when we were just putzing around the wood yard, etc, dragging some logs and moving a little dirt. I wondered if residual water somewhere, but I'm guessing that's a stretch. It didn't smoke at all when it acted up. About all I can think of now is MAYBE the fuel pump, or the injectors? All experts and pseudo-experts, please opine.

thanks