Root grapple options

Titan17

Equipment
L3901 TLB, Caroni RFM, Scag Wildcat ZTR, Piranha TB,York RE 96", MTL HD 48" grap
Jan 13, 2019
Uncasville, CT
Opinions needed. I can buy a top quality USED but very good Paladin 6' root grapple (755#) for $1600 or the same design MTL root, rock, brush grapple (650#) for $1300.

I always bought better quality used items for about same price as new average quality.

In this case is it worth the extra for the Paladin???

I hope I hear from people who own either. Messick's promotes Paladin so???

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What tractor are you using this on?

By just your equipment write up, I'm sure you are looking at grapples that are way too heavy for a tractor!

You do not have enough power to even use one of those effectively.

You will also be crippling the lift that you do have by trying to use too heavy of an implement.

What tractor do you want it for, and what do you want to do with it?

Last edited:

Titan17

Equipment
L3901 TLB, Caroni RFM, Scag Wildcat ZTR, Piranha TB,York RE 96", MTL HD 48" grap
Jan 13, 2019
Uncasville, CT
What tractor are you using this on?

By just your equipment write up, I'm sure you are looking at grapples that are way too heavy for a tractor!

You do not have enough power to even use one of those effectively.

You will also be crippling the lift that you do have by trying to use too heavy of an implement.

What tractor do you want it for, and what do you want to do with it?
Sorry for not including more info. I can fix a tractor but don't know much about operating one.

The tractor it's going on is an L39. Another poster said in a previous post to be careful with light duty attachments on the heavier duty TLB's like my L39. I don't want to destroy a lightweight implement.

The work I'll be doing is brush clearing, logs, small rock picking and moving lots of demo debre. There's a couple of collapsed buildings on the property, maybe 60 yards of demo or so. Also clearing trails.

As always - advice is appreciated. The extent of my operating knowledge is with smaller L's and B's with small backhoe's.

Last edited:

Titan17

Equipment
Jan 13, 2019
Uncasville, CT
Re: Root grapple options for L39 tlb

Also any recommendations on a brand.

So many options. Don't know where to start. I won't be using it commercially so when the bulk of the work is done it will be used for only maintenance. I have 7 acres with 2 - 3 cleared but all in really rough shape.

Last edited:

Titan17

Equipment
Jan 13, 2019
Uncasville, CT
No need to respond wolfman. Took your advice. Decided on the MTL 60". About 550# and gets in tight spots better.
Now to decide between the rock/root flat bottom RK series or the brush unit.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Titan17, I have the MTL 60" grapple. Have it for an L4240 with Kubota 3rd function. I haven't used it a lot, but it's a dual lid. For what I need a grapple for, I won't be wrecking this piece of iron. I ordered the Kubota Orange one!

I didn't want to spend a fortune and have to wait months to get what others couldn't live without!! I bought something I could get within the week.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-MTL-A...702861?hash=item5b520e740d:g:P6EAAOSwBfRbAIdp

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No need to respond wolfman. Took your advice. Decided on the MTL 60". About 550# and gets in tight spots better.
Now to decide between the rock/root flat bottom RK series or the brush unit.
D2Cat has a similar HP and size tractor, and all the research pointed to the model he lists on ebay.

One thing about the brush units, they work great on a skid steer, but not as good on a tractor, I think they are too hard to keep from digging in to be 100% useful, where the flat bottom units float better. ;)

Titan17

Equipment
Jan 13, 2019
Uncasville, CT
Both replies pretty much confirmed my decision on the flat bottom. I have more demo/debris pick up than anything else. Should also work fine for brush and downed trees. Last year I dragged and trailered logs & brush so big improvement.

MTL seems like the best budget grapple. Everything Attachments is top notch but just too $$$ for my non commercial use.

I used Summit Hydraulics for my 3rd function kit ($381. eBay with 15% off coupon) and Discount Hydraulics for hoses and fittings $180. Total cost $561. with joystick controlls and hd abraision resistant hoses. Mounted the valve in the correct factory location where it's shielded; a nice, neat install.

Thanks for info guys. Sometimes you just need a little assurance before making decisions on $$$ attachments.

Titan17

Equipment
Jan 13, 2019
Uncasville, CT
Still waiting on the hoses and JIC 90° fittings. It's very tight in there next to filter. Most people mount on loader upright, this was a harder install. I drilled and tapped into frame. Kubota uses high grade steel; hard to drill and harder to tap.

When I finish I'll throw some pics up. This has been a major maintenance overhaul.
Everything done by the book including the valve adjust. New pins up front. 4 new Titans, front King seal, new seat, fan belt, adjust brakes, adj clutch, new tie rod boot, grease/lube every moving part, etc.
Last it'll get waxed. Will order grapple next month. Space out the bills.
Now I gotta learn how to use it.

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Still waiting on the hoses and JIC 90° fittings. It's very tight in there next to filter. Most people mount on loader upright, this was a harder install. I drilled and tapped into frame. Kubota uses high grade steel; hard to drill and harder to tap.

When I finish I'll throw some pics up. This has been a major maintenance overhaul.
Everything done by the book including the valve adjust. New pins up front, some pins welded and lathed in the rear. 4 new Titans, repaired swing cylinder leak, new fulcrums on backhoe levers, new cable on loader control, front King seal, new seat, fan belt, adjust brakes, adj clutch, new tie rods, grease/lube every moving part, etc.
Last it'll get waxed. Will order grapple next month. Space out the bills.
Now I gotta learn how to use it.
FYI: The fittings that are in your picture are not JIC fittings, they are pipe thread fittings. ;)
So if your trying to match those up JIC's are not going to work.

Titan17

Equipment
Jan 13, 2019
Uncasville, CT
FYI: The fittings that are in your picture are not JIC fittings, they are pipe thread fittings. ;)
So if your trying to match those up JIC's are not going to work.

I used those fittings for fitment. It's tight and wanted to make sure of clearance. I'm using #8 male JIC x #8 ORB 90° which are closer than what's on there now. Should be plenty of room for female JIC straight swivels with 1/2" hose.

I was a machine mechanic for over 10 years and most all the servos we're hydraulic so much experience in that area.
I appreciate the interest and replies I received. What I'm really going to need help is operating and attachments. Site work and tlb operating is all new to me. The property I bought last year is the first large plot I've ever owned and it needs much work for a novice like me.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
In case you are looking for an opinion on the non flat bottom grapple (everyone calls it something different it seems) I choose this design because I can back drag with it and it almost works like a rake to get larger debris but leave dirt. You cant do this well with a flat bottom grapple. Second I want to be able to completely close down on anything I pick up. Some of the flat bottoms leave a gap when the jaws are closed that allow smaller items to wiggle around. With my type you can completely close down on anything. Now if something was very uneven between he jaws the double claw top might be better but it works out fine for my needs in the mountains. Rocks, dirt, and trees!

Titan17

Equipment
Jan 13, 2019
Uncasville, CT
In case you are looking for an opinion on the non flat bottom grapple (everyone calls it something different it seems) I choose this design because I can back drag with it and it almost works like a rake to get larger debris but leave dirt. You cant do this well with a flat bottom grapple. Second I want to be able to completely close down on anything I pick up. Some of the flat bottoms leave a gap when the jaws are closed that allow smaller items to wiggle around. With my type you can completely close down on anything. Now if something was very uneven between he jaws the double claw top might be better but it works out fine for my needs in the mountains. Rocks, dirt, and trees!
Now I'm back to the non flat (root grapple style) I have a couple months of demo work and ground leveling then your type might be best. I guess I'll have to buy both LOL.
Some have sain a single lid works great to. I'll decide by April before the brush starts blooming.

The root grapple style is less $999. VS $1139. For 60".
I'll be running a 5' rake on my other tractor for final clean up.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Sorry to make it more difficult. The truth is they are both incredibly useful, and finding the one that is most useful to you can be tough!

Cpcareyct

Equipment
L3560 Bh92 Backhoe FEL EA grapple
Mar 18, 2018
Windham Ct
I purchased the wicked root grapple in July 2018 from EA

It is a great tool and needs some practice time

It is a must have.

Titan17

Equipment
Jan 13, 2019
Uncasville, CT
Bought a grapple bucket this weekend. Not exactly what I wanted but it was cheap, new and 10 minutes away. I figured I'd be buying 2 different style grapples, one for demo, one for brush & logs.

It's a 66" Tomahawk with single piston/lid. About 450#. T

They're listed for over 1000 everywhere but I think there's better ones out there in that price range. With MTL Attachments I think you get a little more than what you pay for with free shipping.
I'll review it when I start using it.

Attachments

Last edited:

losttrail61

Equipment
BX23S, 54" MMM
Apr 10, 2019
Colorado, USA
Both replies pretty much confirmed my decision on the flat bottom. I have more demo/debris pick up than anything else. Should also work fine for brush and downed trees. Last year I dragged and trailered logs & brush so big improvement.

MTL seems like the best budget grapple. Everything Attachments is top notch but just too $$$ for my non commercial use.

I used Summit Hydraulics for my 3rd function kit ($381. eBay with 15% off coupon) and Discount Hydraulics for hoses and fittings $180. Total cost $561. with joystick controlls and hd abraision resistant hoses. Mounted the valve in the correct factory location where it's shielded; a nice, neat install.

Thanks for info guys. Sometimes you just need a little assurance before making decisions on $$$ attachments.
I am curious about the 15% coupon you mentioned. Where did you find that?

Looking at adding the Summit 3rd function to my BX23S. Wanting to add a grapple for cleaning up piles of pine needles.

Thanks.