Kubota D905e Lighting plant / Generator worth fixing ?

Jon G

Equipment
Still Searching
Mar 18, 2019
St John's
Hi guys first post, it looks like you have a good community going here :)

I am from NEWFOUNDLAND Canada :)

I am NOT a mechanic nor do i pretend to be one, but i am pretty good at tinkering with stuff, mostly dirt bikes, recreational equipment and trucks (Tacomas)

I do have some diesel experience but mostly general never a rebuild

so let get to it

Work has a lighting plant that they turned into a generator that ran for about 100H then packed it in and they wrote it off as they think its not worth fixing.

I am now the new proud owner of a non working lighting plant my first diesel. Cost $0

Just looking for help figuring out if this is worth a rebuild, if i am in the wrong place please let me know :)

Last edited:

Jon G

Equipment
Still Searching
Mar 18, 2019
St John's
More info
Cold temp the morning of failure
Machine started up ran for a hour
Started blowing smoke, so they turned it off.
They said it blew all the oil out of the machine and it was red hot (pealed paint in picture) and some wire loom melted.
They let it cool down and it started again but was not right, i am sure they used quick start.

It was then shipped back to the yard for further inspection
Machine did not sound right turning over like it was low on compression
There was a vent hose off the top pan PCV valve ? that might of allowed oil out onto exhaust ?
There is a burnt smell to the motor
removed the head an there is some scuffing on one of the cylinders the other look fine

Jon G

Equipment
Still Searching
Mar 18, 2019
St John's
So i can have it for free but work wants the trailer back :(

This would be a cool learning project with hopes to rebuild it to use as a back up generator for the house or cabin. Might even put it back on a trailer again so i can move it around.

If i get into this and its not worth fixing then there are some parts of this i want for other projects.

I would like your thoughts

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
If it overheated that bad you have some work ahead of you. Is the head warped? Compression test? Turn it over by hand?

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
If you plan to use it as a backup generator, one thing to consider is that most of them are only 5000 watt generators. They are handy in a pinch but are fairly small for a full scale backup. I have a couple that I use when we have hurricane or other power out situations. I can run a couple of refrigerators, a freezer and as many lights as I like but no a/c, stove, washing machine, dryer etc. It's good to have power to my electric recliner and iPad charger. They great thing is that they use almost no fuel. If you have to do very much to the engine, you might want to price a working used unit. Used, they don't sell for a lot. Probably not much more than a rebuilt and seem, other than the one you have, to work forever.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
100% worth working on.

Was it full of coolant when you got it or the shop got it?

Picture of the inside of the motor, top of the block and head would give more to go on.

Was it completely out of oil or just real low?

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
and if you don't want it I will drive up there and get it...... That lil engine is good for at least 6000 hours. I have one that has over 10,000 on it. The last one I rebuilt ran for over 6 hours with NO cooling water through the heat exchanger. Roasted that rascal. Injector pump good, injectors good, had the head machined and it went back together like a champ. Very simple engine to learn on.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
The Stamford generator head is a good sturdy generator. I appears to be a 6 kw with two 25 amp legs which will run quite a few things. Sounds as if the engine was without coolant. I'd suggest taking the engine apart and checking it over to see if it is salvageable. Because the generator head is not a cheapo, it could be worth it if you were able to fix the engine or find a good used engine.
I have an ONAN 7.5KW set that I can hook up to my home. I have a transfer switch that disconnects me from the utility and connects the generator to the transfer switch panel which has 8 dedicated circuits in it. It is enough wattage to start and run my 3 ton AC as well as run the refrigerator and lighting in the house. I have certain plugs also in the house that the generator will run. My set runs 1800 rpm and is a gasoline or vapor fuel set. I have it hooked up to my natural gas line.

Reactions: 1 user

Jon G

Equipment
Still Searching
Mar 18, 2019
St John's
Thanks for the responses guys :)

Talked to the superintendent that had it when it gave the trouble he said

"machine was allays a bit hard to start, ran for a few hours then started to smoke and blowing oil everywhere, (hose off top pan possible cause ?) machine was shut down, and re started to confirm that motor was not stuck (it was not) it blew the cap on the rad as there was little to no antifreeze in it when it showed up here, oil was checked when it arrived and there was some in it"

To answer a few questions I was asked

I am not sure if the head is warped i will have to check into this

Compression test I do not have the proper compression tester to do this (yet) but you can tell just by the motor turning over that it is low

I have a few new yamaha gas generators EF4000w & EF2600w that are used in power outages, they do not power my small house, i am thinking this power plant would do a better job.

So i got this for free, and i am willing to put a few $ into it and try to get it to work again and learn along the way. But spending a pile of money on this when it will be more of a toy is probably not going to happen

this is more of a WANT then a NEED if you understand

we hauled the head off at work and the cylinder closet to the front of the motor fan side has a bit of scoring

work said write it off not worth it we do not have a trained mechanic on staff only a few guys that do general repairs

where i am at right now

the machine is still at work in the yard as the place i want to put it at my house has a pile of snow in it

This might be a slow process but if i have the guidance this wrenching adventure will happen :)

For example have a look at my 007 Taco Pro Build / Rebuild (2007 Tacoma Project)

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/007-taco-pro.527692/

On Tacoma World

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Jon, that picture of you hauling all that to the PickNPull office was worth the looking. Nice truck and a lot of work.

You can handle this engine. Just take you time and don't start replacing things until you see what is wrong and know what it may take to get corrected.

Posting questions on this forum will get you answers much quicker then you're use to on most forums.

Jon G

Equipment
Still Searching
Mar 18, 2019
St John's
Jon, that picture of you hauling all that to the PickNPull office was worth the looking. Nice truck and a lot of work.

You can handle this engine. Just take you time and don't start replacing things until you see what is wrong and know what it may take to get corrected.

Posting questions on this forum will get you answers much quicker then you're use to on most forums.
Lol Thanks D2Cat it was lots of fun and a good deal

hoping if all works out this will turn into my D905 wrenching adventure :)

Jon G

Equipment
Still Searching
Mar 18, 2019
St John's
So hoping to drag this home today so i can have a better look at it.

I have been researching the cost of parts such as pistons and rings, gasket set and crank bearings this is premature but its about the only thing i can do at the moment

I went to Ebay and it seams like it can all be had for fairly cheep in the aftermarket

Gasket kit $150
Piston and rings $120 STD and oversize
Crank bearings $80
Rings $60

I have a friend who can bore the bad cylinder for free if needed

I would have to get the block and head checked to see if it was warped i think i can figure out a way to do this

thanks for checking in :)

Jon G

Equipment
Still Searching
Mar 18, 2019
St John's
Back when i was young my father had a GL6500 or 6000 ? lowboy gen set that i worked on. Basic maintenance and injector bleeding this was sold long ago

I am wondering if this had the same motor that i am now 20 years later trying to bring back to life ?

Jon G

Equipment
Still Searching
Mar 18, 2019
St John's
Power plant is backed into the yard :)

I was having a quick look at it and the fan belt is off

I am thinking that this is what caused this machine to pack it in :(

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Power plant is backed into the yard :)

I was having a quick look at it and the fan belt is off

I am thinking that this is what caused this machine to pack it in :(
Might be!

Also reminded me to get one...the one on my BX needs a replacement...