ZD28 hydraulic drive problem

Pmschmitt

Equipment
Rtv CPX1140, ZD28
Mar 17, 2019
Navasota, Texas
***129300; so here is the truth. I am in this machine for 2000. Motor runs great, but that alone won’t cut my grass. I can source a pump that Was working and is in a machine being parted out. Should I buy that disassemble inspect etc. it is like 500 bucks vs 1900 for the new.

I also need a charge pump and a back case plate as the shavings quickly destroyed the charge pump

Soooo..
Are you recommending I dissembled the wheel drives of both sides and the HST on both sides?

This was my thought
Dissemble. Clean with brake cleaner get all shavings out. Are the bearings ok so long as they are spinning freely without wear?

Blow everything out with compressed air. Relube with Super UDT and then re assemble.

What is a good running zd 28 worth? This one has a pro deck and only 500hrs. I think I may be upside down on this project already. Should I just abandon ship and part this thing out?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Any input appreciated here. Rebuild? Or just part out
If you try repairing it without replacing both sides with updated HST units you will soon have $3000 or $4000 invested and still have a non-functioning or crippled machine! If you put new HST units on there you will have a great zero-turn lawnmower for $6000- $6500 which isn't such a bad deal provided the rest of it is in great condition.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
eserv makes a good point.

You could buy the upgrade kits and drop a lot of risk. Doing a fast skim, one kit for the charge pump K3151-98060. Kit for reservoir tank K3111-98600. Once you determine the correct kits Prices seem to vary. So it would pay to shop around.

Pmschmitt

Equipment
Rtv CPX1140, ZD28
Mar 17, 2019
Navasota, Texas
Ok so stopped into dealer today and asked what the cost for a new kit is. He said new charge pump, trans case, and hydro gears for both sides was $2200 in parts.

That seems to cheap to me? I ordered it and it should arrive beginning of next week so we shall see. It would replace all of the high pressure side hydraulics. Only leaving the final drive units, which do not share hydraulic fluid, and the hydraulic lift lever and piston which do share fluid.

Anybody done this repair? Does this price cost seem correct. I even asked the guy if I was hearing him right that 1 hydro motor is $1900 and that the complete transmission case with both side hydro motors is $2200. He said yes.

I will report back when it arrives. Thanks in advance for your help here

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Ok so stopped into dealer today and asked what the cost for a new kit is. He said new charge pump, trans case, and hydro gears for both sides was $2200 in parts.

That seems to cheap to me? I ordered it and it should arrive beginning of next week so we shall see. It would replace all of the high pressure side hydraulics. Only leaving the final drive units, which do not share hydraulic fluid, and the hydraulic lift lever and piston which do share fluid.

Anybody done this repair? Does this price cost seem correct. I even asked the guy if I was hearing him right that 1 hydro motor is $1900 and that the complete transmission case with both side hydro motors is $2200. He said yes.

I will report back when it arrives. Thanks in advance for your help here
I did one a few years ago, very straightforward as near as I remember. I had an overhead chain hoist which helped a lot. I'm not at all surprised at that price, Kubota knows they are troublesome and have priced the kit accordingly. I've seen other times when they have done this too. You will be really happy with your ZD28!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
After reading this thread, I sure am glad I have an M60 Tank (MTD) with Hydro Gear pumps. 10 years, 700 hours mowing, oil and filter changes every year (takes ordinary 15-40 motor oil) and other than routine service and a couple spindle bearing sets and a few belts and gauge wheels, no issues whatsoever.

Even the 27 horse Kawasaki has been trouble free. I'd like to have a Kubota with a diesel but all I can say is wow.

Blades every year too. Almost forgot about that...lol

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Flip, we have a zero turn that you can't wear out! We've owned three of them but only traded up for additional features. My wife mows about every other day in the summer (it's therapy!) so the hours add up, but still...

Got the last one two years ago just to get a Grammer seat, but it has little things like a roller guard on the left side of the deck to keep right up to something without snagging it.

Kind of like Pmschmitt, we bought the first one used, and then kept moving up.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Flip, we have a zero turn that you can't wear out! We've owned three of them but only traded up for additional features. My wife mows about every other day in the summer (it's therapy!) so the hours add up, but still...

Got the last one two years ago just to get a Grammer seat, but it has little things like a roller guard on the left side of the deck to keep right up to something without snagging it.

Kind of like Pmschmitt, we bought the first one used, and then kept moving up.
My wife won't touch any lawnmower, push, rider or ZTR. I asked he what she'd do if I was deceased and she replied.."Hire a lawn service"

I have Grammer seats in both my M's very comfortable. I need to add an air ride seat base to the M9, the 105 already has it. The seat on the Tank is horrible. I added coil springs to the back to take the jar out of it.

I can do without an orange mower. My Tank has been paid for a long time. Might go to K&M Seating and buy a Grammer and put it on it. They sell the entire line.

Pmschmitt

Equipment
Rtv CPX1140, ZD28
Mar 17, 2019
Navasota, Texas
Well it arrived. With 2.5 gallons of super UDt and a new filter I won’t need the total kit cost me $2216.00

There are no bearings in the kit, but there is a new engine input shaft. Do you think it is necessary to replace this? My old one appears ok. The bearings inside the transmission case seem very tight. Co not spin freely. Is this normal? I can turn them by hand but they will not “spin” with an aggressive attempt.

Thoughts

Attachments

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Well it arrived. With 2.5 gallons of super UDt and a new filter I won’t need the total kit cost me $2216.00

There are no bearings in the kit, but there is a new engine input shaft. Do you think it is necessary to replace this? My old one appears ok. The bearings inside the transmission case seem very tight. Co not spin freely. Is this normal? I can turn them by hand but they will not “spin” with an aggressive attempt.

Thoughts
They didn't send you a new shaft just for fun, replace everything that came with the kit. I would replace any bearings that you take out to. They are a small investment relative to the rest of the kit and then you are sure about it. Nothing would piss you off more than one of those bearings to fail in the middle of the summer!

Pmschmitt

Equipment
Rtv CPX1140, ZD28
Mar 17, 2019
Navasota, Texas
After cleaning everything up extremely well and adding back some Siper UDT to the bearings they are spinning well no grinding. No noise, no movement. I am replacing the input shaft. If the bearings seem tight and clean. Still replace?

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
After cleaning everything up extremely well and adding back some Siper UDT to the bearings they are spinning well no grinding. No noise, no movement. I am replacing the input shaft. If the bearings seem tight and clean. Still replace?
99% chance they will be just fine! If it were my own I would likely use them, if a customers probably I'd replace them.

Sea Dog

Mar 9, 2019
Washington, IN
I just finished rebuilding my transmission and mine did not have the shim installed from the factory either. Mine had very little backlash so I did not put a shim in. Keep in mind the backlash limit is less than half a millimeter.
I replaced all of my bearings and seals in the transmission housing and being you have a new housing, for no more than what it costs, most certainly do it. Whatever went on inside your HST that broke the shaft was severe and who knows what kind of shock the bearings took. I know the job is like a giant money vac but you're doing it right. Once you get the center section together, you should be able to turn the input shaft pretty easily and have no roughness, tight spots, noise, etc. The PTO shaft will not be able to be turned by hand as it has a PTO brake. I was pretty concerned about it as I was a bit unsure of how it worked so I hooked up a manual pump to the PTO oil inlet. As soon as I put some pressure on the line, I could turn it easily. Good luck.