When does the relief come into play?

Vidiot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 & several implements
Apr 28, 2017
Purcellville, VA, USA
How and when does the relief valve work? Here's why;

I've got a BX2680 and a pallet of rock weighing at least 1000 pounds, most likely more. A while back for fun, I tried to pick it up and the tractor said "oh HELL no".

Today, I had to move that pallet of rocks.

I put an empty pallet on the forks and hand loaded it at a height of about two feet. I guessed that I when it got too heavy for the tractor, the relief would kick in and the loader would lower but that never happened. When I had what I guessed was max weight, I drove the pallet a few yards away and set it down. I couldn't tilt back or lift it any higher but I could put it down. Once on the ground, it wouldn't lift it again and gave me the same "oh HELL no".

Other than blowing out front tires from that much weight, am I about to break anything to "overload" the loader a few feet off the ground if it'll hold it and move it? If I couldn't tilt or lift, I'm assuming I had too much weight for its capabilities.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
How and when does the relief valve work? Here's why;

I've got a BX2680 and a pallet of rock weighing at least 1000 pounds, most likely more. A while back for fun, I tried to pick it up and the tractor said "oh HELL no".

Today, I had to move that pallet of rocks.

I put an empty pallet on the forks and hand loaded it at a height of about two feet. I guessed that I when it got too heavy for the tractor, the relief would kick in and the loader would lower but that never happened. When I had what I guessed was max weight, I drove the pallet a few yards away and set it down. I couldn't tilt back or lift it any higher but I could put it down. Once on the ground, it wouldn't lift it again and gave me the same "oh HELL no".

Other than blowing out front tires from that much weight, am I about to break anything to "overload" the loader a few feet off the ground if it'll hold it and move it? If I couldn't tilt or lift, I'm assuming I had too much weight for its capabilities.
No, you have it a little wrong, the pressure relief valve only works on the pressure line that feeds the FEL valve, thus not allowing it to lift more than it should.

What you did was lift the loader to height and then locked the cylinders in place, as there is no path for the fluid to move.

Now as far as the damage you can do doing that, blow lines, blow cylinder seals, tear up the front drive train, break axles, blow steering cylinders or controllers.

Yes you assumed right, it had too much weight for its capabilities! ;)

Vidiot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2017
Purcellville, VA, USA
Thanks Wolfman, lesson learned and hopefully not an expensive one. I'll be looking for leaks and anything weird going on when I use it tomorrow. Anything I should specifically be looking for damage wise?
Oops. Big oops.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks Wolfman, lesson learned and hopefully not an expensive one. I'll be looking for leaks and anything weird going on when I use it tomorrow. Anything I should specifically be looking for damage wise?
Oops. Big oops.
Your probably fine, you would have noticed most damage immediately, like the bucket dropping or the wheel falling off! ;)

Vidiot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2017
Purcellville, VA, USA
All three wheels acted normally so I think I'm good :)

Thanks again Wolfman, I've been scared straight. I had it out for about 20 minutes pushing brush into the burn pile and everything seems to be ok; all functions and both 2WD and 4WD acting normal. I might detect a little more hydro whine but then again I'm paranoid at this point.
I know what NOT to do from now on though.