O-ring size for sector shaft old style steering box B6000

mramend

Equipment
B6000
Mar 9, 2019
Snohomish
Hello-

In the process of rebuilding an old style steering assembly and have gathered the part numbers from messicks 190100 steering group using an "old vs new" PDF drawing that I found on the web. The one thing that I can't seem to find is the o-ring for the sector shaft. Does anyone know what size it might be?

One of the previous owners (one of many over it's lifetime I'm sure) gave up trying to make it oil tight (it was full of grease and bearing bits) so I'm looking at replacing just about everything to see if we can make it work in an oil bath. The o-ring seems important for that purpose but actually the parts list from messicks calls for an oil seal. Looks like the o-ring serves that purpose..?

Any thoughts from someone who has done a rebuild?

Thanks
Mark

Attachments

mramend

Equipment
B6000
Mar 9, 2019
Snohomish
Well I dug out my plastic HF calipers and did 5 measurements on each the cross section (CS), ID, and OD. To get an average. The assumption is metric.

My results: 2.26 x 19.46 x 24.26mm

Calipers are =/- 0.05 and the zero offset doesn't seem that significant but it is HF after all.

I took a quick look at some metric "standard" sizes and noticed there is a JIS, Japanese Industry Standard, set. This would come closest to:

P20 2.4 x 19.8 x 24.6 mm

I'm not experienced enough (DIYer) to say whether this will make much of a difference, assuming there is some "give" when the o-ring squishes between the material.

I then looked at some "common" metric sizes and there is one closer to my numbers:
2.4 x 19.5 x 23.3 mm

Just wanted to update - in case anyone has o-ring experience to advise if this would make a difference. In other words, go with the JIS standard since we likely have a grey market (B6000-30833 stamped letters, japapense tag says 750 B6000). I would assume factories in Japan follow these standards even in the 1970's!

Thanks,
Mark

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Not much good advice except to buy both and see what fits best

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk