Snow Auger Removal

Eltech

Feb 25, 2014
North Idaho
I have a model B2782B Snow Blower. I hit a tarp that was buried under the snow and it wrapped around the right auger as you are looking at it from the front. After a while, I was able to cut it out and remove it. It looks like I tore up the plastic seal that is the last thing on the shaft coming out of the center worm gear. I have ordered the seal ($20!) but am unsure how to replace it. It looks like I need to at least remove the mount on the outside edge that contains the bearing. Once I do that, is there enough play in the right drive shaft to swing the auger out or down to slide it off of the shaft? If not, can somebody point me in the right direction?

I can post a pic of the parts schematic if need be.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I think you are going to need to remove the whole assembly (augers, center drive and chain sprockets) and pull it from the front of the housing. Once removed the augers can be removed and work can commence on the seal.

It's not as bad as it sounds, but is a lot of work. When I had the augers and fan off, I elected to add a few more grease fittings to make certain plenty of grease is between the augers/fan and the shafts. Had one that corroded together rendering the shear pins useless in the past on another blower.

Hopefully I misunderstand which seal it is and there is a simpler fix.

Perhaps post a picture to better of the damaged seal.

Eltech

Feb 25, 2014
North Idaho
I have attached the parts diagram. The diagram only shows a shaft on the opposite side. The part is actually called a cap. It is not a real oil seal. I think it is there to keep snow out instead of oil in. The second diagram shows where it is on the blower although not actually shown in the diagram. Thanks for responding.

Attachments

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
You will have to pull the whole assembly out of the housing to remove the auger and gain access to the part.

Eltech

Feb 25, 2014
North Idaho
You will have to pull the whole assembly out of the housing to remove the auger and gain access to the part.
OK, so the snow season is over and I got the replacement seal via the slowwww train from CA. I have removed all of the bolts inside the snow blower box that hold the impeller and the drive unit. I have the drive unit supported by a floor jack.

I removed the rear sprocket and drive chain. I removed the set screw from the collar that goes around the drive shaft. (yellow arrow) I can't seem to get the shaft to go forward or the collar to come off of the shaft.

Can somebody please tell me how to get the shaft through to the front?

Thanks!

Attachments

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
The collar is not a simple stand alone part, it is actually part of the bearing. The ID of the collar and a lip on the inner race of the bearing are eccentric to each other. During assembly you slide the two parts together and then rotate the collar clockwise in your picture. When the shaft, collar, and bearing race are locked together you tighten the set screws. Removal is the reverse. Sometimes helps to give it a decent wack with hammer. Jeff

Eltech

Feb 25, 2014
North Idaho
I only saw one set screw, is there supposed to be two? I saw another hole but it didn't look like there was a set screw in there.

So what you are telling me is that I need to rotate the collar to the left to loosen it and then I can pull the shaft out?

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Yes. The second hole is for the special wrench used for tighting/ loosing. Once you break the lock, the collar will slide off with gravity. You may still have rust between bearing and shaft to deal with. You don't need the tool, I usually use a drill bit or bar stock as a handle. Jeff

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Like already mentioned the collar needs to be rotated opposite direction of operating direction. Just use a punch or old screw driver in the blank hole to rotate it.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Yes. The second hole is for the special wrench used for tighting/ loosing. Once you break the lock, the collar will slide off with gravity. You may still have rust between bearing and shaft to deal with. You don't need the tool, I usually use a drill bit or bar stock as a handle. Jeff
It is called a "pin spanner wrench". They come in varying diameter of pins & diameters. They can be found on eBay, however, they tend to be expensive, even for older used ones.

Eltech

Feb 25, 2014
North Idaho
I first tried to use the ole lefty loosey on the eccentric collar using a rod through the end of the shaft and a punch and mallet in the hole. By the time that I realized that I was wrong had really tore up the hole.

So, I looked up the price of the bearing with collar and found out that it was $19. I just cut it with a dremmel tool. Luckily, the set screw hole was now over the key way so there was no danger in nicking the shaft.

So now, I am faced with getting the bearing off of the shaft. The bearing is well seated in the triangular piece of sheet metal. I am unsure how to pull it without bending the triangle piece.

BTW, does anyone know of an actual service manual for this thing? I am sure that the dealer has it on a computer. I purposely started this after our last snow so I didn't feel rushed. I just hope I haven't gotten in over my head.

Eltech

Feb 25, 2014
North Idaho
I don't think that my bearing is fused to the shaft. I was able to moved the shaft forward into the blower box. Right now my shaft is even with the bearing. I just got back from Harbor Freight and bought a bearing puller set. I am planning on giving it a try in the morning. I had positive thoughts because I even bought a few cans of orange paint!!

Eltech

Feb 25, 2014
North Idaho
Victory!!! I was able to get the bearing off today. A Harbor Freight bearing puller had to sacrifice it's life to make it happen. It was young, only one day old, but war is hell.

Anyway, I have ordered a new bearing. Any tips on installing it?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Victory!!! I was able to get the bearing off today. A Harbor Freight bearing puller had to sacrifice it's life to make it happen. It was young, only one day old, but war is hell.

Anyway, I have ordered a new bearing. Any tips on installing it?
Clean and Polish the shaft and don't force it on, grease the shaft a little to keep it from seizing as you get it in place, do not tighten the lock ring until the holder is completely bolted in place. ;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Dress the end of the shaft (as part of the clean and polishing) with a file to make sure the end has no flair of peened ridge.

Eltech

Feb 25, 2014
North Idaho
I will take both of you gentlemen's advice. I am going to take some time and primer and repaint the inside of the blower box this weekend while I am waiting for the bearings to come in. Thanks again!