My new gray Kabota L1801DT

Kabota

Equipment
Kabota L1801DT special
Nov 30, 2018
Summerville Pa.
Hello and this is my first post. Just put money down and picking up my tractor next week.

I have been desiring a tractor with a very low under drive to use growing specialty crops. So was looking for gray market L1501, L1801 or L2201 ..... or a non gray L185 with the optional under drive.

I did not need 4wd and this tractor comes with a loader. Tractor has a cracked head and previous owner had already bought a new head so tractor not running yet. She had 1100 hours on a working tach.

BTW my username is Kabota .... I had been searching for Kubotas using a CL search engine... Then a few days ago I was just looking at CL under farm and garden and happened to see this L1801DT Kabota for sale

So I realized I needed to use Kabota as a search word .... and if you do so you will find there are some Kabotas out there !!!!!

So glad to come on board here .... expecting to have some good conversation.... I know Kubotas and Kabotas are tough machines... I do bleed green and Yanmars are ok but I think Kubotas are tougher and more easily to get parts. Since I farm I prefer the L series because of better under clearance ...and L series looks a bit like a row crop farm tractor also.

So greetings to you all and glad to be here.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Welcome aboard. Look forward to future build thread

Kabota

Equipment
Kabota L1801DT special
Nov 30, 2018
Summerville Pa.

This is the tractor ... I am bring it home later next week. I am installing a winch onto my trailer. I went there and inspected the tractor and put money down.

Cant wait to get her home !!!!

edit: hmmm seems I can not post images yet maybe need to make more posts first ???

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Can't see pics.:(
Welcome to the forum.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
[MG]https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#sent?projector=1[/IMG]

This is the tractor ... I am bring it home... !!!!

edit: hmmm seems I can not post images yet maybe need to make more posts first ???

[MG]https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#sent?projector=1[/IMG]
these are not image files..... their something from your email

Kabota

Equipment
Kabota L1801DT special
Nov 30, 2018
Summerville Pa.
these are not image files..... their something from your email
Well I copied the image from the CL ad selling the tractor and mailed it to a friend and then linked to the url of the email.

OK so that will not work .... so When I get the tractor home next Saturday I will take some pics to post here (btw my computer skills are limited.... I struggle when it comes to using the icons at the top of the quote box):)

Ironman2

Equipment
L185 or L1501, tiller, brush mower
Aug 28, 2018
Warburg, AB, Canada
I have an L1501, and use it in my garlic growing operation.
The underdrive was something I did not know about and it was a pleasant surprise when I discovered it. It is a beautiful thing for undercutting garlic when harvesting.
With my size 12 feet struggling in and out of the tractor I have found you can knock the lever almost out, and then be puzzled when your tractor stops moving in a bit. Took me a couple minutes to figure out what went wrong.

Kabota

Equipment
Kabota L1801DT special
Nov 30, 2018
Summerville Pa.
I have an L1501, and use it in my garlic growing operation.
The underdrive was something I did not know about and it was a pleasant surprise when I discovered it. It is a beautiful thing for undercutting garlic when harvesting.
With my size 12 feet struggling in and out of the tractor I have found you can knock the lever almost out, and then be puzzled when your tractor stops moving in a bit. Took me a couple minutes to figure out what went wrong.
Wow iron man I was not expecting a post like this. I grow a little garlic also but so far not too mechanized. I grow candy onions and I need to set plants 8 inches apart in the row and if only one person on the transplanter you need to really creep .... like between .1 and .2 mph. A few years ago I experimented with an older vintage John Deere 140 hydrostatic drive garden tractor. It would try to stall the hydro when you tried to hold it back to that slow speed. Actually I think the later garden tractors might cooperate to travel that slowly without stalling. So anyway I started looking for a creeper drive L series Kubota and in the meantime come onto a 655 John Deere compact tractor with hydrostat drive so I bought it and it does fine and even has cruise control. But it is on 16 inch tires and under clearance is limited.... so I went back to looking for a Kubota. Really the JD is ok and has power steering and independent pto and easy to climb onto .... but I am old school and so the older Kubota is ok with me. This kubota is a bit heaver and more rugged built and has 24 and 14 inch rubber where as the Deere has 16 and 12 inch rubber. The Deere is 16 HP but the hydros are inefficient in power transfer and probably consume a few of those 16 hp.

There must be a need in Japan for the slow creeper because other manufacturers also offered that feature.... I know Iseki and Shibaura had under drives. Actually I think some Shibaura had two 4 speeds in tandem.

Kabota

Equipment
Kabota L1801DT special
Nov 30, 2018
Summerville Pa.
Got her off of the trailer today. Diamond in the rough. Loader is maybe a bit under size for the tractor but I would rather it be under than oversize.

Does anyone know difference between 1845QT and 1846QT Bushhog loaders ? Is one bigger or is one a later version ?

I have seen pics of the 1845QT on a B7200 and other smaller compact tractors.

Tires are branded Bridgestone..... I think Bridgestone now only sells Ag tires through their Firestone division. I was wondering when they stopped selling Ag tires branded with Bridgestone name ? These are too nice to be original tires. Tractor hour meter says 1130 but I doubt it is correct but I do not believe this rough looking tractor is high hours either. She has been repainted and paint job is poor with paint peeling off and showing original paint which does not look so bad.

Steering is real tight.... there is moderate wear on lift arm ball/sockets so she has done some 3 ph work in her days.

Kabota

Equipment
Kabota L1801DT special
Nov 30, 2018
Summerville Pa.
What size tires are on it?
9.5 22 I will take a close up pic of the tread.

Tractor Data .com does not list tire size for 1801 and 1501 but they do list for 2201 and rears are 8.3 22 so assume same size for 1801

This tractor has one size over standard both front and rear (I believe)

Last edited:

Kabota

Equipment
Kabota L1801DT special
Nov 30, 2018
Summerville Pa.
It is going to be a few days till I can get the loader off and then I will try out my new inside micrometers. You can hardly feel any ledge at top of cylinders .... rubbing fingers up and down you sense more of a texture change going from smooth and then passing over where there is slight carbon build up at top of sleeves.

Kabota

Equipment
Kabota L1801DT special
Nov 30, 2018
Summerville Pa.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Let me be a little more specific... what is the size of the front tires?