Trailering your tractor

Grizzlyadams1992

Equipment
BX2380
Apr 23, 2018
Mount Airy, NC
New Here! Just pulled the trigger on a new Bx2380 with FEl

Looking forward to learning a lot off this forum.

My first question is what kind of trailers are people using to haul around your subcompact tractor?

I have a very very well made 3500lb single axle 6' 6'' x 12' trailer, with the trailer weight and the tractor I think ill be just shy of 3400lbs so I know its not ideal however Im wondering if anyone else uses a single axle trailer to haul around their BX or subcompact tractor??
Thanks!!

anthonyv

Equipment
BX24 BX2200
Jan 24, 2017
SC
I have a 16ft tandem axle with brakes, & when hauling a BX24 with FEL & bush hog to another field, the bush hog hangs out over the end of the trailer about a foot. I'm not sure if I would be comfortable with any shorter or single axle trailer for heavier loads. I think you will have to decide what you are hauling & how much trailer you will need.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Tandem 16' for me. It was a great size for the BX, but it's a tad short for the B. I'd suggest brakes for sure, tandem set up would be better.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Trailering at, or even near capacity is going to be stressful and HARD on the trailer. Do yourself a favor and get a 7000 lb minimum tandem trailer with brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
New Here! Just pulled the trigger on a new Bx2380 with FEl

Looking forward to learning a lot off this forum.

My first question is what kind of trailers are people using to haul around your subcompact tractor?

I have a very very well made 3500lb single axle 6' 6'' x 12' trailer, with the trailer weight and the tractor I think ill be just shy of 3400lbs so I know its not ideal however Im wondering if anyone else uses a single axle trailer to haul around their BX or subcompact tractor??
Thanks!!
You'll get a LOT of naysayers here, but I haul my BX on a very similar trailer to yours all of the time. If you are going real long distances at interstate speeds on a regular basis, I would probably opt for a tandem too, but for semi occasional use, I wouldn't think twice about the single. Also, your tractor shouldn't weigh anywhere close to 3400 LBS. I couldn't find a spec for the 80 series loaders, but the tractor and 60" mower is only about 1700 LBS.

Attachments

Grizzlyadams1992

Equipment
BX2380
Apr 23, 2018
Mount Airy, NC
You'll get a LOT of naysayers here, but I haul my BX on a very similar trailer to yours all of the time. If you are going real long distances at interstate speeds on a regular basis, I would probably opt for a tandem too, but for semi occasional use, I wouldn't think twice about the single. Also, your tractor shouldn't weigh anywhere close to 3400 LBS. I couldn't find a spec for the 80 series loaders, but the tractor and 60" mower is only about 1700 LBS.
thanks for the input! I think my wording was terrible but i ment that with the weight of the tractor and the trailer weight itself i would be at 3400lbs...i also agree that if i intended to move it via trailer alot a tandem axle trailer would be best but i didnt know if people were using a single axle on the regular to move there tractor around...btw dieselbob nice paint matching on the trailer! orange is my favortie color!! it works out that my favorite brand is also orange lol

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
I don’t have a trailer yet but I’ve been looking at 18ft 7,000 and 10,000lb tandems. When I bought my BX24 from a friend, he threw in the 6x10 trailer he had used to haul it. I’m lucky the darn thing made it home. It was an old converted boat trailer that was rusted through with several cracks in the frame and a broken spring on one side. It was no match for my reciprocating saw. Haha

Attachments

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
This is where I am also. The only trailering I do is to the dealer which is 10 miles away. I think trailer choice would be related to distance towed.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Generally, I think it's always wise to error on the over-kill side of towing & trailering. I get the short distance thing and all, but is it really worth it, not only for mechanical risk, but the mental stress, operating with little margin?

For not much more money, a 16-18' tandem offers much more capacity, towing comfort, and peace of mind.

I've used both types of trailers, and much prefer the 18' (aluminum) tandem I currently use. With trailer, BX2380/FEL/RFM and tools/gear, I'm just under 6K#'s. My F150 Ecoboost doesn't even know it's back there. :)

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
have to agree with ya dalola. Before I had my dump truck for a part time landscaping business, I used to tow the BX23 tlb with my dodge dakota. Even though the trailer had brakes on both axles, it managed to push the back end of the truck around on two separate occasions (once thru a 4 way stop). That was enough for me. I knew I needed a real tow vehicle and there is no way I would trust a trailer of any kind without brakes when pulling any more than 2K.

To each their own. Just hope none of you learn the hard way.

PS....OP- Congrats on your new purchase. You'll love it. They are a real little workhorse.

Last edited:

Grizzlyadams1992

Equipment
BX2380
Apr 23, 2018
Mount Airy, NC
well it all went great aside from rain! But what are you to do with one day off during the week. The trailer was fine and not over loaded at all. Even with the rain i managed to test it out some and put a solid hour on it. I love this little thing!

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
Generally, I think it's always wise to error on the over-kill side of towing & trailering. I get the short distance thing and all, but is it really worth it, not only for mechanical risk, but the mental stress, operating with little margin?

For not much more money, a 16-18' tandem offers much more capacity, towing comfort, and peace of mind.

I've used both types of trailers, and much prefer the 18' (aluminum) tandem I currently use. With trailer, BX2380/FEL/RFM and tools/gear, I'm just under 6K#'s. My F150 Ecoboost doesn't even know it's back there. :)
With a 3500LB GVW and 2000 LBS of tractor, how much margin do you want? All of that extra capacity is nice, but it comes at a price. The cost of the trailer, whether or not you have a vehicle that can pull it, and the fuel mileage penalty. Most of us cannot afford an 18' aluminum trailer. In my case, the choice is to use my single behind my S10 OR my big truck and big trailer that gets 1/2 the fuel mileage, is three times harder to maneuver around and takes twice as long to load and unload. I guess the difference is I grew up with single axle trailers and I'm not freaked out by them. My Dad lugged a heavyweight 1965 era single axle travel trailer around 25 states with a Blazer of all things.

Dieselbob

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
have to agree with ya dalola. Before I had my dump truck for a part time landscaping business, I used to tow the BX23 tlb with my dodge dakota. Even though the trailer had brakes on both axles, it managed to push the back end of the truck around on two separate occasions (once thru a 4 way stop). That was enough for me. I knew I needed a real tow vehicle and there is no way I would trust a trailer of any kind without brakes when pulling any more than 2K.

To each their own. Just hope none of you learn the hard way.

PS....OP- Congrats on your new purchase. You'll love it. They are a real little workhorse.
I'm curious why you had so much trouble with tandem axle brakes. With my single, it almost stops too good. Granted, a BX23 is a good bit heavier than my 2230, but not THAT much more. For what it's worth, I wouldn't try to haul a TLB on a single axle trailer either. That's a bridge too for in my opinion, and the required trailer size would negate the single axle advantage.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I have a single axle. As long as the axle is rated for the weight, and as long as that weight is properly distributed, I don't see that as a serious issue. There is an advantage of better maneuverability, but increased difficulty backing straight and less flexibility in weight distribution.

I think it is far more important to have trailer brakes than an extra axle. And having tried both, I strongly recommend a proportional electric brake controller over a time-based electric brake controller.

And maybe they can't be seen at that angle, but make sure you have straps or chains to the rear axle of that rig too!

griffin800

Equipment
Kubota bx23s, Simplicity Conquest
Apr 7, 2018
Rockford, IL
I have a single axle. As long as the axle is rated for the weight, and as long as that weight is properly distributed, I don't see that as a serious issue. There is an advantage of better maneuverability, but increased difficulty backing straight and less flexibility in weight distribution.

I think it is far more important to have trailer brakes than an extra axle. And having tried both, I strongly recommend a proportional electric brake controller over a time-based electric brake controller.

And maybe they can't be seen at that angle, but make sure you have straps or chains to the rear axle of that rig too!
Also need a strap on the FEL.

Grizzlyadams1992

Equipment
BX2380
Apr 23, 2018
Mount Airy, NC
Also need a strap on the FEL.
lol, i had a strap for the rear and i did put one around the FEL. just took the picture before the strap on the FEL. It quit raining for like a minute so i took it as a photo op before the bottom fell out of the sky. Im glad i have leather seats in my truck because i was dripping wet by the time i got in. But it was still worth it! :)

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I'm curious why you had so much trouble with tandem axle brakes. With my single, it almost stops too good. Granted, a BX23 is a good bit heavier than my 2230, but not THAT much more. For what it's worth, I wouldn't try to haul a TLB on a single axle trailer either. That's a bridge too for in my opinion, and the required trailer size would negate the single axle advantage.
Trailer is 2K, gear and tractor 3.5K. Easily pushes around a very light duty truck in certain conditions.

Pleease

Equipment
BX1880
Dec 29, 2017
Erlanger, KY
lol, i had a strap for the rear and i did put one around the FEL. just took the picture before the strap on the FEL. It quit raining for like a minute so i took it as a photo op before the bottom fell out of the sky. Im glad i have leather seats in my truck because i was dripping wet by the time i got in. But it was still worth it! :)

Congrats, and welcome to the orange-atans! (I just made that up; a poor effort.)

May I ask what kind of trailer that is - maybe a model? I don't have a trailer yet, but like the versatility that the sides add.

Grizzlyadams1992

Equipment
BX2380
Apr 23, 2018
Mount Airy, NC
Congrats, and welcome to the orange-atans! (I just made that up; a poor effort.)

May I ask what kind of trailer that is - maybe a model? I don't have a trailer yet, but like the versatility that the sides add.
Its an amazing trailer! Made by a local company called cardinal trailers (I think, will have to look at the title when i get home) its a 6'6"x12 High Side. awesome for hauling just about anything because of the sides. i will look and make sure when i get home. I will say ive never once wished i had bought a different one!

thanks for the welcome btw! Im glad i drank the orange coolaid! lol

Pleease

Equipment
BX1880
Dec 29, 2017
Erlanger, KY
That'd be helpful - thank you. I'll probably haul the tractor 3-4 times a year (depending on how often relatives hit me up, lol), and never far, and have access to one I can borrow....so might as well take my time finding the right one :).

The sides would be very useful for hauling non-Orange stuff like certain materials, furniture, other lawn gear, etc.