B2910 Front Wheel Snapped Off

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Hello everyone, the title says it all. My pops was mowing on with the 2910 and the front wheel snapped right off where the shaft is welded to the wheel hub. Lugs are still attached, I'll get some pics in a day or so. All I can say is thank god he was mowing on the flat when it happened and not side hilling with a load in the bucket. Tractor has never been abused, babied actually. Besides moving snow in the winter it has spent most it's life mowing with a MMM.

A quick google search came up with the same problem on another forum, but I'm betting the folks here have the right answers.

Was there a recall on this? Owned it since new and never got any recall notices... Been at the same address as well... This is a serious safety issue!

I highly recommend anyone with this model or one of the same chassis to inspect their front hubs for any stress cracks.

I see that the replacement parts are upgraded and are very HD. I'm going to replace both to be safe. $$$:eek:

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Is your tractor registered with Kubota? If yes, and there was a recall you would have been notified.

But I doubt this issue was common enough for a recall to have been issued (maybe a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was issued. Since this problem is not reported elsewhere here (there would be a lot of posts on it), I don't think this is common.

Before ordering the parts, go to the Dealer and explain that your spindle broke and that there is an "upgraded" replacement part. See if dealer will at least sell it to you at jobber/wholesale price (or at cost). Logic being that Kubota determined that this part was poorly designed (substandard) and then modified/corrected it - so you should not have to pay full retail price a part Kubota under-designed.

This (plea) worked for me with a similar situation on my Nissan Maxima and I was able to save hundreds on a part. Plus the markup on parts to retail customers is outrageous - so this gives Dealer a chance to offer some goodwill to retain a customer without costing them any money.

HST2910

Equipment
HST 2910
Mar 24, 2019
Waterford, PA, USA
Just had this happen to me an hour ago. Currently have my machine in a bad spot and just researching what I'm in for and found your post. If you have any pointers you can give me I'd certainly appreciate the help.

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
This is the first I have heard of this problem. However with that being said... Murphy's Law will prevail... especially older machines like mine, a B2410. What I did to settle my mind was to look into Kubota Tractor Insurance (KTI)... as I call it life after warranty. This would have been covered under KTI. For $16 and change per month ($200/ yr) it is a life saver when you compare the premium to having to tell your wife you need $1000 for a tractor part. Even when you pitch that YOU are doing the repair to save money... makes for some cold nights.
Let's just thank God no one got hurt...

HST2910

Equipment
HST 2910
Mar 24, 2019
Waterford, PA, USA
Well I managed to chain up the front axle to the bucket frame and drive it out of the woods on three wheels. Will be calling the dealership this morning to see how much hurt they are going to put on me for the parts. I checked the other side and see that that one has some cracks in it as well. So it looks like I'll be doing them both together. I would have thought Kubota would have at least put out a notice regarding this type of failure if not a recall. But other than a few other posts on other sites I see little mention of this type of failure. I did read that Kubota upgraded this part to one that is more heavy duty so they must have known there were issues a long time ago.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
There's no recall. There's not even a bulletin on it that I know of, that or I missed it while searching.

Parts get updated all the time. Who knows what they change. Sometimes it's the paint color, other times the threads, other times the material, sometimes they just change vendors so they can get (and sell) it cheaper. They never tell anyone. Same thing happens in the automotive world. Just because it's been updated with a new number doesn't mean that it's any better and it also doesn't point fault at the originally installed part that it replaces. Because of that getting Kubota to help with it might be a stretch. In order to get them to help, what is required is to get the tractor and it's broken part to the dealer. Because of the age of it and how far it's been out of warranty, they'll have to file for a goodwill assistance, which usually splits the bill 1/3 between dealer, customer, and kubota. Even then, it takes forever to get anything done with it. Your best bet if you expect any assistance is to call the customer service line and explain the situation. They might or might not help. Keep in mind the age of the tractor when requesting help. It's been out of warranty for a long time now as the B2910 hasn't been in production for a good while.