Starter keep blowing fuse.

suntex01

Oct 12, 2015
Georgia
Hey Guys,
My M8200 keeps blowing a fuse if it goes over bumps lately. It also blows the fuse now everytime I try cranking it up. Now the electrical have been messed with by the previous owners because they put in a separate push button ignition instead of the key switch. Can anybody point me in the direction I should start sniffing out the electrical issue esp now I can't get it started? It just blows the fuse before starter even turns.

Thanks

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
You haven't provided a lot of details, but from what you've said it sounds like an intermittent short circuit. Possibly frayed wire(s) shorting against each other or against the frame.

Replace the fuse with a light bulb -- either a 12v test light or crimp some connectors on a bulb socket. With the key turned "on" (but don't try to start the engine), the light will glow whenever the short is present. Now start wiggling the wires of the circuit fed by that fuse while watching the light. Hopefully the light will start flickering when you get close to the problem area.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
The "light bulb trick" mentioned in previous post is good idea for isolating an intermittent short. (dont forget to use a 12v bulb)

Also, keep in mind that most starters are NOT fused. The + on the battery is DIRECTLY connected to the starter when the starter-relay is picked. A starter can draw 100s of amps and there is not a 100+ amp fuse on your Kubota.

Hence, it is the starter-relay pickline which is fused. (often called the bendix-relay which is screwed into the side of the starter-motor)

suntex01

Oct 12, 2015
Georgia
Hey guys,
Thanks for the hints so far. This is my first time taking a real close look at the overall wiring on the tractor. There're a few questionable things I saw and will upload some photos for comments. Are there any fuses inside the engine bay that is factory original?

Thanks

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Besides your six regular fuses there is a 50A slow blow. On your model I don't know whether it is a fusible link or a black box marked 50A.

suntex01

Oct 12, 2015
Georgia
Is this the main fuse you are referring to?

Or is it this one that seems to disconnect the whole circuit?

I also found this relay I have no idea what it's for. Starter, turn signal?

Any help is appreciated. Also I realized I forgot to take a photo of some the fuses that seemed to be connected in using regular fuse holders that were aprt of this circuit in the engine bay.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Looks like an empty ATC or ATO fuse socket.

Looks to be a bolted fuse (marked Mexico).

Yellow butt splices. Possible uninsulated butt splice(s). Could be some of problem.

Relay from generic auto part.

Would still do the light bulb procedure.
You're going to need a wiring diagram to figure out what it is supposed to be vs what it is.

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Here is a link to the M8200 Work Shop Manual: M8200 WSM if you don't already have it. You can view The whole WSM on line or you can download it for free. It has a full electrical system section which should help you with your problem.

Last edited:

suntex01

Oct 12, 2015
Georgia
Is the ATC fuse socket factory? Or does it look like its an add-on? BTW its suppose to have a fuse in it. I took it out when taking a picture. The tractor wont crank at all without that fuse.

I'm assuming that bolted fuse isn't factory as well?

Yah, I'm going to be doing some major rework of the connectors.

Jim, the fuse that was blowing is the one that goes into the empty red fuse socket. Is that an original factory location for the fuse?

Thanks

suntex01

Oct 12, 2015
Georgia
Here is a link to the M8200 Work Shop Manual: M8200 WSM if you don't already have it. You can view The whole WSM on line or you can download it for free. It has a full electrical system section which should help you with your problem.
Thanks that's what I intended on doing.

BTW where are the relays suppose to be located. Can't really tell from the way the WSM diagrams are drawn.

Thanks

Last edited:

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Trying to SWAG and match location of relays shown in WSM on PDF page 449 (WSM page 9-M14) the two drawings on the left, if you then go to PDF page 100 (WSM page 1-S15) second drawing down on left, between and slightly below (9) and (4), that looks like them below meter panel, in front of steering column, there should also be 3 more on engine side of the same plate those are mounted on. My best guess!

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
suntex01

Need to ask you a few questions about your project.

M8200, 2WD or 4WD?
2WD, serial number above or below 10413?
4WD, serial number above or below 50785?

Two different wiring systems.

Are you wanting to just make it work, or do you want to get it back to the original configuration?

For now, the bolt on fuse is not a reliable device, something will cut through tape maybe before the fuse and melt the wire. The ATO type is better protected and looks like the original.

After you get back with answers we will make a plan to track down the short(s).

suntex01

Oct 12, 2015
Georgia
Mine is a m8200 narrow. I'll have to check the serial number, but it realize there are some differences between old and new in the wsm. I'm hoping to change it back close to original as possible.

Are those relays suppose to be in the engine bay or in the cab around the dash?