Greasing the joints

GamblerAcres

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio
Mx5200 4x4 HST with 22 hours. I decided to go ahead and grease the axle points since I use it in very wet/muddy conditions. I applied grease to the front axle gear case support. It got harder with each pump. I figured it was filling the void and building pressure against the old grease. I was expecting to see grease flowing from the joint at some point. On the 6th pump I heard a pop and the pressure released.

Did I break a seal or something or did I just push some old stubborn grease out?

Also, what size is the breather plug on the front axle support. Should I see grease coming out of all the joints?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Gambler - I'm not familiar with the grease points on your tractor, but seems others have mentioned issues greasing the front of larger Kubota tractors.

If I remember correctly, some have lifted the front with a loader, and greased without the weight on the axle. Made life simpler.

I kind of doubt you blew a seal out, but guessing. More thinking some old dirt/crap/shit just broke loose, allowing it to take grease.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I applied grease to the front axle gear case support. It got harder with each pump. I figured it was filling the void and building pressure against the old grease. I was expecting to see grease flowing from the joint at some point. On the 6th pump I heard a pop and the pressure released.

Did I break a seal or something or did I just push some old stubborn grease out?
If you didn't pull the breather plug out before you started pumping grease in there and if grease came out anywhere other than the breather plug, yep you either broke the case or maybe just lucky enough to have blown the O-ring seal out.

jms

Equipment
MX5200, BX2660, ZD221
May 22, 2018
Zumbro Falls, MN
For the center joint, there is a breather that needs to be taken out. The manual shows where and how.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

GamblerAcres

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio
If you didn't pull the breather plug out before you started pumping grease in there and if grease came out anywhere other than the breather plug, yep you either broke the case or maybe just lucky enough to have blown the O-ring seal out.
I'm talking about the grease point on top of the wheel hub, not the the axle support with the breather plug

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A little of the old stuff did
Yea sadly, I think you very likely blew the seal out, as no amount of grease should come out. :(

But, you can safely run it for quite a while, and if no more grease comes out you might have gotten lucky. ;)

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Been greasing both my M's until fresh grease shows around the upper seal, been doing that for the last 10 years. Must be my outer drives are different than others...?

Far as the axle pivot, my last Grand L had a pipe plug you removed when greasing the pivot. When grease came out, it was greased. Again, the M's are different, no plug. You grease until grease shows around the joined components...

GamblerAcres

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio
Yea sadly, I think you very likely blew the seal out, as no amount of grease should come out. :(

But, you can safely run it for quite a while, and if no more grease comes out you might have gotten lucky. ;)
So you're saying it's a sealed for sure or just based on what I'm saying? No one seems to know this in another form either

GamblerAcres

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio
Is this it?
Yes, that is the zerk I am referring to.

I just went over the manual again but it contradicts itself. In the maintenance schedule section there's a lubricants/grease table which says to apply grease to the gear case support until it overflows. But in the diagram showing the zerk location it states to apply a small amount, whatever that means.

Gillie Dog

Equipment
L2501 HST, FEL, Forks Attachment, Harrow Disc, etc.
Dec 12, 2018
Southern California
Might have popped the seal (#30) like NIW suggests. Can you see it popped out. Looks easy to remove, clean and replace, just a two bolts and a bushing with a seal.

I have been known to put seals in no pressure spots like that in backwards so grease can escape and dirt is still kept out.

GD

GamblerAcres

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio
Might have popped the seal (#30) like NIW suggests. Can you see it popped out. Looks easy to remove, clean and replace, just a two bolts and a bushing with a seal.

I have been known to put seals in no pressure spots like that in backwards so grease can escape and dirt is still kept out.

GD
#30 does look like a rubber seal of sorts but I didn't see anything like that coming out, just some grease. I'm starting to think (hope) that it's meant to pump old grease out through the seal with enough pressure then spring back to keep dirt out.

Dutchie

Equipment
Looking to buy
Feb 28, 2019
Nova Scotia Canada
I did my first grease job on my new to me MX5200 last night. And like you I read the manual and expected to see grease coming out. I pumped and pumped and pumped some more. Very little grease flowed out and no pops or anything. And I must have pumped a few hundreds times pure side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yes, that is the zerk I am referring to.

I just went over the manual again but it contradicts itself. In the maintenance schedule section there's a lubricants/grease table which says to apply grease to the gear case support until it overflows. But in the diagram showing the zerk location it states to apply a small amount, whatever that means.

What is says SPECIFICALLY AT THE ILLUSTRATION of the 4-wh. drive forward support is to REMOVE THE PLUG and apply until grease flows out of the plug.