Front PTO driven moving rotary tiller (under the grape tree tilling)

tunin

Equipment
Kubota B1-17, B2410
Jun 23, 2013
Medjugorje
Hi guys, here I go again, almost done with my multi use front and back mountable harness (thread)... starting to gather ideas and components for my front mounted front pto driven small rotary tiller that will move sideways to till under and around the grape trees.

Being that English is not my first language, I am looking for the technical name for this component, it is basically a hydraulic directional control valve but without the middle stop... a few links on what ai mean...

Thank you... will post photos adn videos on my progress and failures...

A few variations I found my inspiration in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krNtV-uUHnI
https://youtu.be/1kFaqiIa4tM
https://youtu.be/ZIiHpgdoS9o

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The swing out is being controlled by a trip bar connected via a cable to a spool valve (an open center hydraulic valve) or better called a 4 way 3 position open center control valve, you will want to remove the centering spring to make the movement from end to end smooth, with no return to center.

If you wanted it to be a very smooth movement from swing in to swing out you would use a proportional spool valve (amount of flow is dependent on the position of the control), but those are very expensive and hard to find.

Last edited:

tunin

Equipment
Kubota B1-17, B2410
Jun 23, 2013
Medjugorje
Thanks a million man, I am sourcing parts all over... this eill help, now I know what to fraze it in English.

I have it roughly sketched and prepped... we will see what ahppens when the reductor comes in and the shafts...

The swing out is being controlled by a trip bar connected via a cable to a spool valve (an open center hydraulic valve) or better called a 4 way 3 position open center control valve, you will want to remove the centering spring to make the movement from end to end smooth, with no return to center.

If you wanted it to be a very smooth movement from swing in to swing out you would use a proportional spool valve (amount of flow is dependent on the position of the control), but those are very expensive and hard to find.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks a million man, I am sourcing parts all over... this eill help, now I know what to fraze it in English.

I have it roughly sketched and prepped... we will see what ahppens when the reductor comes in and the shafts...
How are you powering the tiller?

Both of the video's show a closed system style of hydraulics, Kubota uses an Open system, fluid always flows through the valve in neutral.

Last edited:

tunin

Equipment
Kubota B1-17, B2410
Jun 23, 2013
Medjugorje
Hi, my b2410 has the euro receiver front hydraulics and PTO, it runs 1000rpm, I found a 90deg reduction gear 2:1 ratio to cut it down to about 500rpm...

Re. Hydraulics, still trying to figure out the valves and piston... i only need one as you called it trip valve and a miston that will move the tiller out and in...

I sourced out the Japanese style set of blades, arched blades, the power demand is way lower and they till with ease compared to the Euro and US style of rottary tilles... just to compare it, I have a 150cm wide three point tiller Japanese style , it runs on idile in hard red soil, used one of my friends Euro style (German made) tillers once on my tractor, it struggled on 2200rpm. Crazy but true.

When you think of it, it Is quite simple, the blades catch the soil from th back and run them selves in gradually where as the Euro/US jams the whole blade down at once... much easier on the tractor and way less wear and tear on the tiller and way less fuel consumption...

How are you powering the tiller?

Both of the video's show a closed system style of hydraulics, Kubota uses an Open system, fluid always flows through the valve in neutral.