Grapple Opinions Again

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
M9540 with skid steer attach

Looking at several and like the clam shell style. Many list as root rake but I'm not going to try and bend the FEL arms trying to do something like that. Skid Steer Attachment Depot has a 72 inch which looks like what I'm thinking about

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Skid-Steer-Tractor-Loader-Attachment-66-Root-Rake-Clam-Grapple-Ship-199-/202565401440?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Its a clam shell and is 600 pounds. Can get the extreme which weight is 900 or so pounds, but that also reduces the amount it can pick up.

The thing I'm looking for is the style. Want something to pick up brush, trees and some rocks, but no need for digging in the dirt, have other stuff to do that

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
This is the kind I have, also called a root grapple. The shape of the bottom row of tines allows it to dig into the soil and pop smaller roots out, and even do some minor harrowing :).

I mainly use mine for the above, brush, logs, and rocks. The trick with these is that you dont really scoop much. You get over and close the top to draw the material into the bottom tines.

If you just want something that makes it easy to scoop like a bucket get a rock grapple with this type of look.
https://www.everythingattachments.com/Root-Grapple-For-Large-Utility-Tractors-p/eta-wrg-lut.htm

You dont have to get EA, or even a dual lid but you get my meaning on the long bottom tines.

The dual lid makes it easier to grab uneven or unbalanced items and still keep them level.

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
Have used one like in my link before with a 50hp tractor. It did quite well and was one of the reasons I was looking at the type again. Didn't think about have independent dual grabs for the uneven type loads, which is a good point.

My buddy has one that looks like the EA and the one in last pic. He has already mentioned the thing is so heavy that there went half his lift capacity on his 65hp JD. Has fluid in all tires and helps if he puts the box blade on the 4 point

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Looks like you are at about 3000lbs lift at full height right? What are you lifting over a ton? I agree you dont want to loose a bunch, but if you find something around 600-800 lbs it should be a good mix of strength and weight.

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
Looks like you are at about 3000lbs lift at full height right? What are you lifting over a ton? I agree you dont want to loose a bunch, but if you find something around 600-800 lbs it should be a good mix of strength and weight.
Very good point, but also no need for it to be heavier then need be, I'm thinking. As before, have picked up a bunch of brush and trees with a clam shell and it did a good job, and not that heavy. Like the idea of a flat blade and a shield to keep the limbs out of the grill

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
Bought the MTL X Series Talon grapple yesterday, weights about 1100 for the 72 inch. Decided on it because it has a solid plate across the back. This should help keep some of the sticks/limbs from getting to the grill. Think I will make a plate to cover the grill as well.

https://www.mtlattachments.com/attachments/hd-talon-mtl-extreme-root-rake-grapple-attachment

Bought the 3rd function remote from Barlow in Somerset. Heck the 3rd function cost about half what the grapple did.

Attachments

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
Finished the line install for now, may make some changes later

The lines came with clamps to attach in factory locations. The lines are a bit long and they stick up some close to the cab
Photo1567.jpg

Made a loop and reconnected to keep them a bit lower
Photo1568.jpg

Good - Grapple came in
Bad - Came with flat face connectors, being shipped AG connects, so we continue to wait
Photo1570.jpg