A $12 Kubota B2650 Grille Guard

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Here’s my grille guard mod on the B2650. At the local machine shop I found a piece of expanded metal in the “shorts” bin that looked about the right size and weight. $12 and some tax and it was out the door. Admittedly a little concerned at first about grinding and welding on a new grill guard frame it turned out a lot easier than I expected. To preserve the “mounting width” on the frame itself two pieces of “ready rod” with washers and nuts on each side of the four holes were used to mimic the actual tractor frame. Using the ready rod and nuts, I spread the guard framework a tad extra to allow for easy mounting. I removed the paint off the front edges and a spot by the mounting hole for the welding ground clamp. Laying the larger piece across the framework to see where the best use of the expanded metal could be made, I tried to keep as many of the full “diamonds” intact and centered on the framework. A small cut off wheel in a hand grinder zipped through the metal quite nicely after determining the shape. At first it was cut to the widest width and thereafter trimmed to size as it was welded into place. A very minor problem was getting a clamp to stay in place while bending the metal around the curves and down into place. But with a little fussing it went well. A spot weld at each joint on the frame and it was ready for cleanup work and paint. After all the dread and worrying, it turned out to be an easy afternoon project. Tools used: handheld grinder, mig welder and one large “C” clamp. Here’s the pics of the finished product.
DSC05798.jpg

DSC05799.jpg

DSC05804.jpg

DSC05801.jpg

DSC05808.jpg

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
Outstanding and great attention to detail centering the diamonds.
Looks like a very good investment of time and $.
Well done.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Very nicely done. It is a fun day to do some fab work on your Kubota!!!!

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Very nice job!
Thanks, torch! The amount of talent and expertise by the people on Orangetractortalks is amazing. I don't think I'd ever be able to fill their shoes when I'm just getting out of my baby slippers. :D But it sure is fun trying to do a little better each time!

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Outstanding and great attention to detail centering the diamonds.
Looks like a very good investment of time and $.
Well done.
Thanks for the compliments, Ping!! And when you're ready to open up that indentured servant position let me know so I can apply!!

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Very nicely done. It is a fun day to do some fab work on your Kubota!!!!
Thanks rkidd! Being retired my week now consists of six Saturdays and a Sunday so it does leave some room to have fun in the shop. And what could be more fun than working on your mechanical steed!! :D

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Nicely done!

Very similar to what I did, except that I made separate upper and lower sections and used round stock for the perimeter.

The original is borderline useless.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Nicely done!

Very similar to what I did, except that I made separate upper and lower sections and used round stock for the perimeter.

The original is borderline useless.
Thanks for the compliment, PHPaul. I agree with you that as they come the original configuration doesn't offer much protection at all. Now this tractor is ready for the Piranha Tooth Bar coming in a short while. Between the PTB and the grille guard I'm hoping to avoid any casualties while cleaning up the gnarly brush and small scrub trees around here. That buckthorn brush is going to be shaking in their roots when they see the Kubota coming!!:D