B2650 Grill Guard

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
I've been doing some and plan on doing a lot more brush moving. I've seen the warnings against the potential damage to the stock grill and radiator. Unfortunately I'm not a welder, so I guess my options for adding a grill guard are to find one, or to learn to weld, or see if there is an aftermarket seller of an already beefed up grill guard?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I too would like a better grill guard when I have my pallet forks on to carry branches, and some day will find someone to weld up a nice one. In the meantime in case of emergency, several layers of the plastic construction fencing can be wrapped around the existing brush guard and tied with baling twine :D

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
I too would like a better grill guard when I have my pallet forks on to carry branches, and some day will find someone to weld up a nice one. In the meantime in case of emergency, several layers of the plastic construction fencing can be wrapped around the existing brush guard and tied with baling twine :D
Hah, yes!!! Throw in a little duct tape somewhere and you have this guy...

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Hi Clover13. I too have a B2650 and will be doing a lot of brush clean up work this spring and summer. I'm just finishing up my grill guard mod now. Just have the repainting to do after welding on the guard material. I'll post some pics in a couple of days when the painting is done. I think it's a project you could easily do as a first time welder if you have access to one. I picked up a small left over piece of expanded metal from the local machine shop for $12. With a little clamping here and there along with some spot welds to hold things in place is all it takes. Of course you have to grind/sand the paint off the front edges of the framework before welding. :D The expanded metal is real easy to cut to shape with a little side grinder and even neater with a cutoff wheel installed in the grinder. Sheepfarmers idea is an excellent emergency or short time fix until you decide what route you'd like to take!! Sometimes, short term fixes can last for years, too.
David

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
It's amazing to me that Kubota left exposed critical components in such a vulnerable environment on the front of the tractor. I purchased a perforated steel plate 3/16" thick with about 1/4" diameter holes. I'm not a welder either but I'm going to find a buddy to weld it in. I really need to learn how to do stuff like this myself. I can afford the equipment and just need to watch Youtube and get experienced friends over to show me how to use it. It doesn't have to be pretty, just prettier than a hole through the plastic grill and radiator.

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
i have the factory grill guard, i can verify that it is in need of modification. as i have a good sized split in my grill. due to a stick punching a hole in it... my plans are to spend some time this week and weld some expanded steel to the front of the grill guard. yes it will make opening the hood more difficult... maybe i can figure a different way to lift the hood, other than reaching through the grill guard...

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I've been doing some and plan on doing a lot more brush moving. I've seen the warnings against the potential damage to the stock grill and radiator. Unfortunately I'm not a welder, so I guess my options for adding a grill guard are to find one, or to learn to weld, or see if there is an aftermarket seller of an already beefed up grill guard?
I just posted my pics for you of my grill guard in a new thread. Take a look and see what you think. It was a lot easier to do than I had anticipated!! Especially if you have or have access to a mig welder. If you don't have much experience welding....watching some youtube videos on the subject and first practicing on some scrap metal will get you where you need to be for this project in short time.
Plus, a file or some grinding can easily correct some errors or unsightly welds. And fresh paint makes everything look good. :D Your new grille guard would be a great first project!!

David