HST fan in a BX2380

Scuzzy1

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 10, 2019
Apache Junction, Arizona
Well I got a stick jammed in where the sun don't shine and stripped the blades off. The part is cheap (about $8) but the repair is $730 if my loyal dealer does the work. Kinda hinky seeing as they are going in to replace the CV boots at both ends of the driveline under warranty anyway. Seems like a small additional fee would not be unreasonable.
So I am looking for info about the best way to do it myself. I searched quite a bit and could not get the right combo to find a previous thread that I am sure must exist. Please point me in a helpful direction. Thanks for being there.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Well I got a stick jammed in where the sun don't shine and stripped the blades off. The part is cheap (about $8) but the repair is $730 if my loyal dealer does the work. Kinda hinky seeing as they are going in to replace the CV boots at both ends of the driveline under warranty anyway. Seems like a small additional fee would not be unreasonable.
So I am looking for info about the best way to do it myself. I searched quite a bit and could not get the right combo to find a previous thread that I am sure must exist. Please point me in a helpful direction. Thanks for being there.
Kind of unreasonable that they won't change it when they do the boots! I'm fairly sure they could just include it in the claim and it would be covered. You have to move the motor forward to get enough room to install it. I have heard of cutting it in half but I've never tried it that way.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Kind of unreasonable that they won't change it when they do the boots! I'm fairly sure they could just include it in the claim and it would be covered. You have to move the motor forward to get enough room to install it. I have heard of cutting it in half but I've never tried it that way.
This should be pretty close though it isn't exactly the same model! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I4dwux7BSo

rokhunter

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Dec 28, 2018
Baker, Florida, United States

Bxpanded makes a nifty cover for when you get your tractor back that protects the underbelly. It's on my short list of items to get.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Scuzzy1

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 10, 2019
Apache Junction, Arizona
Makes me think they want to get paid twice for one job.

Scuzzy1

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 10, 2019
Apache Junction, Arizona
wanted to quote the linked video from eserv but I don't have that clearance yet.

Thanks. It looks like that might be the way that works. I will take the time to remove the entire fender assembly so I can have the most room to get the pinch bolt out behind the fan.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Replaced mine years ago on BX23 (2006 model) by removing the floor pan, unbolting the fan and there was just enough room to slide the fan out. Not sure if your '80 series is much different. It was about a 2 hour job.

I no longer have the write up, but I believe I got that info from TBN forum. And yes, I ordered Broteck full skid plates after that.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Looks like fun. Poor design maybe?
The design is not poor.....the thought of being a sherman tank is part of the problem.

The fan is tucked up under nicely but ...the ol stick can get in there, hell even with the MMM on - sticks can still find the way up into the pathway.....

much like a stick can get by the FEL and find itself into the radiator!

Kubota DID place a small shield up under there, I am sure it helps, but the underarmor helps a hellva lot more!

AS D2 pointed out......you take a "tractor" that weighs 1500 lbs and add "stuff" and call it nimble and sub compact..... stuff has to get tight and hard to get too!

TO me the obvious answer as a couple here have engineered....is a two piece fan that can be replaced easier that cutting holes out of the deck or taking the engine out!

All of us remember the days of changing the spark plugs on an ol truck???
If is started to rain .....you could climb in the engine bay and change them still........now days, good luck finding the @#$#@@# plugs! There were some cars that you had to remove the engine to get to the back side plugs.

Overall - the design of the BX is pretty great.....however - there are a few things I could think of that need a little TLC....like those fabulous fuel filters! :D

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The tractors are called sub compacts for a reason. You put all the hardware necessary to operate a tractor for today's society and then shrink it down to this size and what do you expect...lot's of elbow room?
I see that. Tiny fingers needed...lol

What I don't understand is why Kubota don't add an oil cooler in the front of the engine (like the bigger units have) and eliminate the fan entirely? The HST unit has a pump I presume at least. Of course it may have to do with the price point. My zero turn has fans on each of the Hydro Gear IZT units but the fans are vertical and on top of the IZT units, out of harm's way. Still looks to me like a poor design and not well thought out.

I could never get my old stiff fingers in there anyway.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The design is not poor.....the thought of being a sherman tank is part of the problem.

The fan is tucked up under nicely but ...the ol stick can get in there, hell even with the MMM on - sticks can still find the way up into the pathway.....

much like a stick can get by the FEL and find itself into the radiator!

Kubota DID place a small shield up under there, I am sure it helps, but the underarmor helps a hellva lot more!

AS D2 pointed out......you take a "tractor" that weighs 1500 lbs and add "stuff" and call it nimble and sub compact..... stuff has to get tight and hard to get too!

TO me the obvious answer as a couple here have engineered....is a two piece fan that can be replaced easier that cutting holes out of the deck or taking the engine out!

All of us remember the days of changing the spark plugs on an ol truck???
If is started to rain .....you could climb in the engine bay and change them still........now days, good luck finding the @#$#@@# plugs! There were some cars that you had to remove the engine to get to the back side plugs.

Overall - the design of the BX is pretty great.....however - there are a few things I could think of that need a little TLC....like those fabulous fuel filters! :D
The filter housings on my M's are a bit of a bone of contention as well. The aluminum ring that secures the housing gets locked to the base and then you have to soak it in PBlaster to get it loose. Just did that. PITA. At least they both have spin on pre filters so it's not a regular issue.

My truck don't have spark plugs, only diesel injectors....lol

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Everyone hates the HST fan on BX's

I'll do them. Other techs at work hate them. I can do them in considerably less than flat rate time. It's not that hard really.

Think about it. If I called you and said you have to replace the CV boots on the shaft, and you have no idea what else is in there, you're going to say ok replace them if it needs 'em.

That's about how the warranty department is. They are stupid when it comes to tractors and how they work. They are NOT technical-oriented.

Secondly, if I (as a tech) put in a claim to replace the boots and they also see where another work order exists for the fan, they're going to question it...what caused the fan to fail and did that also damage the boots?

--warranty through Kubota is completely different now from a dealer standpoint, such that certain things that used to exist are now gone, and certain things that they didn't have access to, they do now.

all that said...if I'm a tech, and I see the fan shot and I'm doing boots, absolutely I'm gonna call ya and tell ya that I can do the fan for a couple dollars on your dime. Not the full cost, but yes I'll cut ya a deal since the shaft is going to be out anyway. BUT...that only applies if I haven't done the shaft boots yet. If they've already been done, and then you want the fan done after the fact, it's full pop.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
I see that. Tiny fingers needed...lol

What I don't understand is why Kubota don't add an oil cooler in the front of the engine (like the bigger units have) and eliminate the fan entirely? The HST unit has a pump I presume at least. Of course it may have to do with the price point. My zero turn has fans on each of the Hydro Gear IZT units but the fans are vertical and on top of the IZT units, out of harm's way. Still looks to me like a poor design and not well thought out.

I could never get my old stiff fingers in there anyway.
Completely agree.....the mechanical fan is just old-tech stupid, IMO. Use a quality stack-style cooler, likely don't even need a fan at all. Or, design an electric fan that would be much simpler.

If I get really bored some day, I'd love to thermocouple up the HST on my BX, and run it during the summer with no fan. I'm betting in most applications 80% of the time, you don't even need the fan. Especially running SUDT2.

First thing I did was throw on a BXpanded undercover, just to avoid this stupid fan thing.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Do any of the Shields work with a MMM?
Have not seen any that work with the MMM

other than the small one under there from the factory, small and almost worthless shield.

this one is a snap to place in!

https://bxpanded.com/BX-under-armor

I can remove it WITHOUT lowering the height adjustment - once the two bolts are placed in, the placing on is simple as taking it off.