Gas in the oil

Pkeefer

Mar 18, 2019
Hollywood, Md
I have an RTV 400 with 79 hours on it. Out of warranty. It just died on me the other day, oil was thin because there was gas in it? Anyone know what the problem could be and/or how to fix it?

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have an RTV 400 with 79 hours on it. Out of warranty. It just died on me the other day, oil was thin because there was gas in it? Anyone know what the problem could be and/or how to fix it?
Do you cut the fuel off when not in use?

Gravity feed fuel system? IF so --- the float bowl can stick open....slowly allowing gas to come into the intake if left open and ooze around the rings.

You use ethanol free gas by chance?

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
The other way is what is called...making oil.

Some engines, especially high compression ones, with bad rings or running wide open can push gas past the rings into the oil.

My boat race engine when set with high 80 plus psi on the fuel rail running at 5200 rpm (big bore) will push some fuel past the rings...

Good luck OP...could be nothing...could be needing some rings or what ever others may come up with...

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Very common condition on the RTV400! They use a fuel injected, air-cooled Subaru engine. The engine just runs way to cold in winter weather and fails to evaporate the oil properly. Also likely runs too rich in cold weather. It usually isn't a problem on machines that are driven for longer periods of time and driven hard. Kubota are well aware of the problem and have bought a few of them back here in the north country! Time to go see the dealer!