Canopy Size Suggestions

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I had a custom canopy frame made for my L3800. It is approx. 49" L X 40" W. I'd like to get some suggestions on the canopy size because I've never been on a tractor with a canopy. I was thinking 4' W X 6' L made out of 1/2 plywood. FWIW, my tractor is about 5' wide. Thanks

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
My Kubota fiberglass lid is about 6' by 5' and with the height of the ROPS, that gives me some shade to work under. If it were any smaller, I'd be in the sun a lot more. Mine is too small to keep you completely out of the rain. This is my "ghetto" L3800HST after I removed the damaged hood... :)

Ray

Attachments

Last edited:

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
My canopy is a 4'x6' piece of 3/4" exterior plywood. The back edge of it is 14.5" behind the back of the ROPS. Do I wish it was wider? Not really, but I think that's going to vary depending on your application. I have to navigate in woods, so I wanted enough to protect my noggin from falling limbs, but not so much that I'm having to watch it all the time when I'm cutting brush near trees. If I spent most of my time out in open fields mowing I'd probably want it bigger for sun protection. Mine offers enough coverage that I stay mostly dry when it rains unless there's wind driving it.

-- Carl

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
If it was me, I'd find the canopy, first, then build a frame for it. Golf carts seem the most economical, so I'd start there, but that's just me...:D:D

bambam31

Equipment
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
My canopy is a 4'x6' piece of 3/4" exterior plywood. The back edge of it is 14.5" behind the back of the ROPS. Do I wish it was wider? Not really, but I think that's going to vary depending on your application. I have to navigate in woods, so I wanted enough to protect my noggin from falling limbs, but not so much that I'm having to watch it all the time when I'm cutting brush near trees. If I spent most of my time out in open fields mowing I'd probably want it bigger for sun protection. Mine offers enough coverage that I stay mostly dry when it rains unless there's wind driving it.

-- Carl
I think I'm going with the 4x6 plywood because I do squeeze through some tight spots in the woods too. I also think it will be easier to mount a mirror and lights.

As always, thanks for the responses.

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
Craigslist "golf cart", someone will be selling used golf cart canopies. I got two of them for $50 each.

Installed one on my L4330 and the other on my ZC326. Not the biggest and best but they certainly do the job.

No pics of the ZD but you can see the tractor canopy here:

67Truckin

Equipment
BX1800D
May 25, 2016
Pleasant Plains
An old aluminum road sign makes a good top also. Just put the painted side up. My brother made it with an arched frame to it kinda looks like a buggy top.

L.C. Gray

Equipment
L3400, RTV500
May 14, 2016
Stephenville, Texas
I had a custom canopy frame made for my L3800. It is approx. 49" L X 40" W. I'd like to get some suggestions on the canopy size because I've never been on a tractor with a canopy. I was thinking 4' W X 6' L made out of 1/2 plywood. FWIW, my tractor is about 5' wide. Thanks

Hey I like this approach to putting the canopy on.

bambam31

Equipment
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
Hey I like this approach to putting the canopy on.
I sketched out a drawing with the overall dimensions, removed the top part of the ROPS and brought it to a machine shop. They made it to fit and I sprayed it with truck bed liner.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
I'd kinda like to have a canopy on mine, but being that I have to fold the ROPS to park it in the barn it becomes too problematic.
What about something that installs/removes easily?: (at least it's supposed to)

http://www.femcomfg.com/sun-protection/tuff-top

I have to fold the ROPS down occasionally to get to certain implements but I'm thinking I might get one of those once I get my roads and edges of fields clear of limbs.

donmccoy38

Jan 26, 2019
Kansas
You can now mount a Rhinohide canopy on a folded down ROPS & they have a five year warranty replacement on shell breakage. Along with an Easy Off model they can’t be beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk