Regen for L 3901

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Quote: People buy the little tractors because they are cheaper, not because people are so worried about emissions.

Guess I am different. I love the bigger Kubota's, but I stick with a B and will maybe buy an RTV just to avoid emission systems.

Whether they work good or not, I just don't want it because all the issues I have on my big trucks leaves a real bad taste in my mouth.
I'd rather just spend the extra time and use my operating skill to get all my chores done with a small tractor.
I even gave up on diesel pickups. They now have gas engines making good torque and fuel mileage, so why bother with the extra maintenance costs of the new diesels.

But the cheaper price is nice too. It is a lot nicer to go pay cash for my tractor, rather than owe a bank or finance company.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Answered my own question with a Goggle Search that took me to TBYN.

Messicks says 400-500 bucks to clean the filter and it should (should but maybe not) last 200 regens.

Interestingly, that is about he average cost to do a Class 8 particulate filter as well. Interesting, quite a thread on it over there....

So, 200 regens and 500 bucks. Pretty steep maintenance on say a BX.

Not for this guy.:)
To answer your question, we are running a 4900 Western Star with a DD15 505 and a freightliner Coronado 122SD with an ISX 600.

To comment on cleaning DPF's......there is a large lumber hauling fleet here that was getting their DPF's cleaned, but after a few years of mapping it, they are now buying new filters. They found the cleaned ones only gave them 60% of the service life of new ones.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Quote: People buy the little tractors because they are cheaper, not because people are so worried about emissions.

Guess I am different. I love the bigger Kubota's, but I stick with a B and will maybe buy an RTV just to avoid emission systems.

Whether they work good or not, I just don't want it because all the issues I have on my big trucks leaves a real bad taste in my mouth.
I'd rather just spend the extra time and use my operating skill to get all my chores done with a small tractor.
I even gave up on diesel pickups. They now have gas engines making good torque and fuel mileage, so why bother with the extra maintenance costs of the new diesels.

But the cheaper price is nice too. It is a lot nicer to go pay cash for my tractor, rather than owe a bank or finance company.
I've got a B-series too...love my 2013 B2920. I've done a huge amount of work with it, because initially, that's all I had. Nobody mows 30 acres of field with a 4-foot flail mower but I did, all slope, because that's what I had.

But I have zero worries about my newer MX having issues with emissions. I think its well sorted.

I'm excited about Ford's new 7.3L big block gas engine coming out next year. Sounds like it could be a beast. But I've had four Ford 6.7L diesels, and currently a 2018 Cummins with the manual. No issues with any of them.

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
L3901 HST with LA525 FEL, Land Pride RCF2572, pallet forks, 3 pt carry all
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
My L3901 has +200 hrs on it and it's only regen'd a few times. Like maybe 3-4? PITA when it happens at an inconvenient time, but what else can you do?

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
My L3901 has +200 hrs on it and it's only regen'd a few times. Like maybe 3-4? PITA when it happens at an inconvenient time, but what else can you do?
You can actually press the Regen-inhibit button if you want to prevent a regen from happening at a bad time. Or you can just shut the tractor off when you are done, mid-regen. Just let it finish next time.

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
As I have posted before there are dpf delete kits available for smaller kubota tractors. Pricy I***8217;m sure and why would u try to fix what isn***8217;t broken yet?? Everybody is still whining and comparing the big truck/problems. Don***8217;t see the comparison there ? This isn***8217;t a kenworth so why would u compare it to one? If u don***8217;t want a DPF then don***8217;t buy a kubota buy a mahindra that recycles the exhaust into the motor. Don***8217;t complain because ur scared it doesn***8217;t work because my big truck has issues.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I'm not complaining about it because my big trucks have issues. Just saying "I" am not interested in purchasing this government imposed waste of money crap.

Whether it works or not, I just don't want it.

Luckily I'm in a position I don't need a big new tractor. I can make due with a small one and my older big pre-emission stuff. and enjoy my low fuel useage and reliability.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I'm not complaining about it because my big trucks have issues. Just saying "I" am not interested in purchasing this government imposed waste of money crap.

Whether it works or not, I just don't want it.

Luckily I'm in a position I don't need a big new tractor. I can make due with a small one and my older big pre-emission stuff. and enjoy my low fuel useage and reliability.
I get what you're saying. I also have a B2920 which is basically identical to yours. Owned since new and it has been perfect. And it does get great fuel economy.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Guys it ain't any big deal!!

They've been out since 2013/14 in the L01 series. Dealer has sold literally hundreds of them. To date, 3 have had issues and all 3 were owner-related....one was turned over (filled system with oil), one was neglected (didn't pay any attention to the blinking light and beeping beeper) and the most recent one had rats chew the harness. Out of about 240 of them, that's pretty good. Actually WAY better than the OLDER standard L series (L2800/3400/L3200/3800).

If you're scared of expenses quit buying new stuff and buy old stuff...and budget a little for repairs along the way. Buy old cars too, and spend a payment's worth each month on fixing little things. I know ALL about that stuff ;)

Remember back around 2007? The Ford Super Duty pickups were getting DPF's put on the 6.4's. People were scared of them. So what happened? When a 7.3 powered truck came up for sale, people were beating the sellers' door down trying to buy it and paying more than it was worth. But then what happened? The 7.3 cow dried up. Exactly the same thing will happen to the old non-DPF standard L series tractors. Prices will stay high for good clean used ones until there ain't any more of them out there, then ain't anyone have a choice but to embrace the DPF.

Deleting? Aint worth it. Most of the kits are a joke. Do they work? Yeah. They cost, however, and for those that don't know how to install them and have to pay someone, you won't get a dealer to "delete" anything, period. In fact, a dealer won't even talk to you....and if it is deleted, dealer cannot/will not do anything to them. So at those points you're having to find a shade tree mechanic that you can only hope has any sort of aptitude. And even then if the EPA gets wind of who did it, they can go after them......seen it happen.

At or near 3000 hours, they recommend cleaning or replacement of the DPF. It's pretty seamless. They get baked for 24 hours, and they're good to reinstall. They're charging us $200 to clean an L series DPF, at least that was for the only 3 we've had to send out. $200 every 3000 hours is pocket change. Generally most of the L series don't last 3000 hours anyway before they're crashed, rolled, totaled, scrapped, or whatever. There's a few of them with more hours than that but not many.