Gray or not?

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
New to the forum and an almost first time Kubota owner. I found a B6100 that is perfect for my needs. I just happened to hear about this gray market thing. I went to look at the tractor and passed cause of the serial numbers said
B6001-23068. Since I saw the B6001 on Kubotas no no list I passed. I took a picture of the plate when I was at the tractor and later called Kubota to get more info. I gave them the numbers and they can’t find any thing in there system. So now I’m not sure what it is. I will post som pics for helping identify what it is. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
can't figure out how to post more than one picture at a time. picture quality is not great but all the labels are in English. actuality all the labels on the tractor are in English.

Last edited:

ndenahan

Equipment
L2002
Sep 1, 2018
Gainesville, FL
Fishlife, always good to see another Floridian.

I have a grey market tractor and every label on the thing is in Japanese. I would bet you are in the clear if everything is in english. I guess it is possible it came from another english speaking market that was not US but I think it is OK besides the grey life isn't so bad.

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
Fishlife, always good to see another Floridian.

I have a grey market tractor and every label on the thing is in Japanese. I would bet you are in the clear if everything is in english. I guess it is possible it came from another english speaking market that was not US but I think it is OK besides the grey life isn't so bad.
Thanks, Same here. I thought all the tractor owners lived north of Florida. I searched the forum more and found a post that was helpful. I think it is a North American model. I'm going to call a couple of places tomorrow with the numbers I have and see what i can find out.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Like D2Cat said, It's not a grey, it's very common for the B6100's and B7100's to have B6001 and B7001 at the start of their serial numbers.

They made the same housings for both, and they all got stamped the same.

Kubota's system will not be able to find the serial # for that model, it's a gap in their file system.

In the long run it really doesn't matter one bit if it was a grey, buy it and use it!
The grey's don't magically run different than a non grey. ;)

Last edited:

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
Like D2Cat said, It's not a grey, it's very common for the B6100's and B7100's to have B6001 and B7001 at the start of their serial numbers.

Kubota's system will not be able to find the serial # for that model, it's a gap in their file system.
Cool. I’m just trying to decide now if it’s worth the hassle with such an old machine. if I need a part and give the parts counter the s# and there is no record of it, what do you do?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Cool. I***8217;m just trying to decide now if it***8217;s worth the hassle with such an old machine. if I need a part and give the parts counter the s# and there is no record of it, what do you do?
You have never owned a older kubota have you, a B6100 is a very foritable little tractor regardless of it being old.
It's not a hassle, it's just a small glitch.

And it's not like that for parts, you would just walk in and say you need parts for a B6100DT simple as that, there would be no reason for the parts guy to even question it, and there is no reason they would need the serial # for the parts purchases.

Serial # only comes into play when you try to get a ROPS for it, and even then they know there system has flaws for the serial numbers and they know that a B6100 is not a grey. ;)

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
You have never owned a older kubota have you, a B6100 is a very foritable little tractor regardless of it being old.
It's not a hassle, it's just a small glitch.

And it's not like that for parts, you would just walk in and say you need parts for a B6100DT simple as that, there would be no reason for the parts guy to even question it, and there is no reason they would need the serial # for the parts purchases.

Serial # only comes into play when you try to get a ROPS for it, and even then they know there system has flaws for the serial numbers and they know that a B6100 is not a grey. ;)
Nope, this would be my first tractor. I was going to get the rops for it. Are all parts pretty much still available for them?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Nope, this would be my first tractor. I was going to get the rops for it. Are all parts pretty much still available for them?
Yep most parts you can still get new, if not there are a lot of good used parts available too. That tractor shares about 99% of the parts with it's bigger brother the B7100. ;)

You would order the ROPS through a local dealer:
https://www.kubotausa.com/service-support/safety/tractor-safety/rops-safety

It's a special promotional price for those.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep most parts you can still get new, if not there are a lot of good used parts available too. That tractor shares about 99% of the parts with it's bigger brother the B7100. ;)

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
Thanks for all the help everyone. I went back to get it today. This little mulel is perfect for moving my boat into a tight spot that I park it in. It needs a few little things. Mainly just tie rod ends for the steering. I want to figure out how to add powder steering. Other than that, I love it.

Last edited:

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
So I have a question. I'm going to do a complete service on my new to me tractor. I have read all the info in the sticky for this section on cross reference part numbers for fuel, air, oil, filters. I downloaded the kubota books parts manual for a B6100DT. I looked up what the oil filter part # is in the K,Books. came up with (15241-32090). Then I thought about looking on the tractor to see what is on it. Its a NAPA (213340). This number is in the cross ref. for a gray tractor.
Am I missing something here?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First off why not use Kubota filters, they are about the same price and will do a better job!

Second I don't think you understand that a grey is almost identical to a non grey and they all take the same motors and have the same filters. ;)

The D650 was used in quite a few different models of grey and non grey tractors.

A grey is nothing more than a tractor that was not meant for the US market, it's usually just the safety equipment that is different.

For parts info just go straight to the source, Kubota because old manuals have old part numbers:

For hard parts: https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/
For disposable parts: https://apps.kubotausa.com/quick-parts/

You'll get this kind of info:

Attachments

Last edited:

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
First off why not use Kubota filters, they are about the same price and will do a better job!

Second I don't think you understand that a grey is almost identical to a non grey and they all take the same motors and have the same filters. ;)

The D650 was used in quite a few different models of grey and non grey tractors.

A grey is nothing more than a tractor that was not meant for the US market, it's usually just the safety equipment that is different.

For parts info just go straight to the source, Kubota because old manuals have old part numbers:

For hard parts: https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/
For disposable parts: https://apps.kubotausa.com/quick-parts/

You'll get this kind of info:

I guess this gray market thing through me for a loop. I had just read about the night before I was to go see the tractor. I didn't know about the Kubota links you sent. That will make things in the future a heck of a lot easier. Thank you for all the help. I have lots to learn ;-)