Kubota vs. Mahindra

rlyddane

Equipment
BX1830, MMM, BH, Loader, Tiller, Box blade
Aug 31, 2011
Mead, OK
Hi,
My name is Rich, and I am planning on purchasing a used sub compact or compact tractor. I was 99% convinced on the Kubota BX series, and someone said, "Have you checked out the Mahindra?". Well, I did, and frankly, they look pretty comparable to the Kubota's.

Can I get an honest opinion on the pluses on Kubota vs. Mahindra. Of course, I know the Mahindra dealer I spoke to showed me their biased propaganda, but what are the real differences in Kubota's favor? Thanks.........Rich

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Honest opinion? I think that most all compact tractors today are comparable and will provide a similar amount of service. Prices may vary, but you will get that even between dealers. I have scoured over the Mahindra's, and they look like well built machines.
That being said, Kubota's footprint and support are huge, where Mahindra's is not. In my area, the only dealer that carries Mahindra used to carry Farmtrac, and Taft before that. The owner is a fine fella, but who knows how long he will carry and service Mahindra's? The Kubota dealer has been here forever, and shows no signs of changing.
When the tractors and their prices are comparable, then the deciding factor becomes availability and support. I don't see Mahindra matching kubota.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'd have to agree with Hodge on this, most tractor's today are built fairly similiar. Bout pound for pound dollar for dollar you get a much beefier built tractor out of a Kubota then you do of any other brand out there today. Kubota was the first and still is the leader in the compact tractor market since the late 60's in the U.S. Take a look at the video posted in the Articles section and see how Kubota L series tractors stack up against a similiar size John Deere and witness how Kubota blows the doors off John Deere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTidbgJOU-I&feature=player_embedded

tiger9297

Equipment
B7100HST-D w/ Bush Hog FEL
Jun 28, 2009
Tupelo, MS
I agree that most compact tractors are probably comparable in service and quality, but I still think Kubota's quality is superior to any other brand, even if only slightly so. I would pay more money for a Kubota just because it's a Kubota. This is coming from a guy who was raised on John Deere and GM products. Now I own Kubota and Nissan.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Thats right crops are green and tractors are orange LOL. Just about every farmer I know who owns JD equipment I have asked why they own JD and most of them have no idea why other then its been a family thing and they've always owned the JD line. Kinda like a generation thing I reckon.

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
I know this doesn't address the Mahindra Kubota comparison but I recently sold a used Kubota tractor to a guy from Illinois who had worked as a mechanic for a John Deere Equipment dealership. I would not speak negatively about any other tractor manufacturer. Like others have said there are other good tractors. However, I have had excellent service from all the motorized equipment I own that was built in Japan.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'm not going to knock the Minhindra just because I know nothing about them. I don't even really know of a dealer that's in my area. I'll say this about Kubotas though. I used a B 7100 for 15 yrs and racked up over 6000 hrs on it without any major repairs. It was a ugly little thing that was beat all to pieces when we bought it. It was still running fine when I traded it on a new Kubota though. I grew up with IH tractors and after the great service I got from my B model I switched over to a all orange work force. You may be fine with the other brands but you definately won't go wrong with a Kubota.

mccash40

Equipment
BX2360
Sep 4, 2011
queensbury, ny
I live in a farming community in upstate NY near the VT border and no one carries Mahindra tractors in this area. There is 1 JD dealer, 1 NH dealer and 2 Kubota dealers. I bought a BX 2360 and I love it so far. Plan to get a Woods rear blade for it this weekend. I guess it's a personal choice. The Mahindras look sharp in the TV ad, but I like orange. :D

Davemerq73

Equipment
FEL, Rear Blade, Box scraper
Dec 5, 2010
Becker, MN
I think the best advice was said a few times already. Multiple people have said they know nothing about them. They dont know of any dealers in thier area. The lack of information, and support should be all the advaice you need.

I also know nothing about them, dont know of any dealers in my area, and cannot quickly locate any on-line forums with any significant activity.

http://mahindratractorforum.com/forums/

This is as close as I can find - Note the dates on the forums. Its hardly used.

If you purchase a tractor that is not mass produced, with little aftermarket support, where will you be on 10, or 20 years when you are looking for that used part?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I think the best advice was said a few times already. Multiple people have said they know nothing about them. They dont know of any dealers in thier area. The lack of information, and support should be all the advaice you need.

I also know nothing about them, dont know of any dealers in my area, and cannot quickly locate any on-line forums with any significant activity.

http://mahindratractorforum.com/forums/

This is as close as I can find - Note the dates on the forums. Its hardly used.

If you purchase a tractor that is not mass produced, with little aftermarket support, where will you be on 10, or 20 years when you are looking for that used part?
That's a good point. I do know that Mahindra makes a solid, strong tractor, and that they are a huge manufacturer in India. Massey Ferguson makes some of their smaller tractors. I don't think quality is as much of an issue as support, parts, and public support- an active forum is a beautiful thing, as we know good and well right here.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Not being able to find an online forum would not be a precursor to buying a tractor for me, However a dealer/dealers within reasonable driving distance would be. I did a quick search for my area for Kubota Dealers and there are 3 within a 50-60 mile radius I then did a search for Mahindra dealers and there are 3 within a 60-70 mile radius, While the simple internet search alone would not be sufficient cause for me to purchase a Mahindra I would visit at least 2 of the 3 dealers to see what kind of stock in both new equipment and parts and what type/size their service and parts departments were. Then and only then would I consider the Mahindra as an option and the price for the comparable Mahindra tractor versus the Kubota would have to be substantially less to entice me to purchase the Mahindra over the Kubota. I would use this logic when considering the purchase of either a new or used Mahindra.

Personally I would rather have an American made tractor and if I lived in another country I would prefer a tractor made in the country I lived in but unfortunately that ship has long since sailed.

I have been tinkering with the idea of picking up an old Ford 9N 2N or 8N and ironically I was about to purchase a 2N with loader when I came across the B7500 I currently have, I would have purchased the 2N but at the time I did not have a trailer that would carry its weight, My neighbor has a 9N that has been in his family since it was purchased new in 1939 and the tractor still runs like a top, Parts support is also widely available for the old Fords.
But I digress...anyway...Product support for me would be a big factor in considering which brand of tractor to purchase.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
How long do you think you'll own the tractor? Something to consider is long term part availability. My Kubota is about 30 years old. Occasionally I need a part or two. I have 3 Kubota dealers within a reasonable driving distance. Of the few little parts I've needed, I can get those parts either that day or within the week and hold them in my hand when I buy. Always nice to have what you need in stock or be able to match up the old and new before you pay. My buddy has a Rhino tractor and has a terrible time finding parts for his. Just my $0.02.

Have you considered the idea of buying a larger used Kubota for the same or less $$ than a new tractor?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Well kids its been 10 days since the post was created, and we havent heard a peep out of the person who wanted to know which tractor to go with!