I'm disappointed with my Kubota

sambo30

Equipment
L245DT
May 29, 2010
Clinton, MO
I mean REALLY!!!!! You would think that a company as big and well set-up as Kubota would be able to put a water pump on a tractor that lasts more than 30 years!

My L245DT is from 1981 (or thereabouts) and the water pump seized up the other day while I was warming it up to go cut wood. I finally got caught up on everything else and was able to tear into it today. After cleaning the front of the tractor, I realized that the water pump housing and the protruding gasket were original blue paint!!! The first owner was my uncle (I am the second) and I know that he did not have to work on the water pump. Tear down was not too bad, no cussing nor throwing fits were required. :D

After looking at it (and realizing that the water pump is NOT Kubota original design but an off the shelf item for many engines), I will probably just buy another pump and rebuild the old one at some later date. Getting those (trashed) bearings out of that housing is going to prove to be a pain in the posterior. :mad:

This little tractor still amazes me with it's toughness. It has it's issues, to be sure but it seems like it was built with some thought toward how owners would be using it. :D:D (NOT like what I see with some of the newer green tractors)

Hey Vic! Wanna talk about parts? Gonna need a few things that I might as well replace while I'm there. :):):)

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
It's a real shame that things won't last any longer than that.
Enough to make one cry.:p

The tractor probably never had the anti-freeze changed or a water pump lubricant added. sambo30 should consider the maintenance to avoid having to go through this process on such a regular basis.;)

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
I just can't imagine how a tractor company can stay in business this long making products that require repair every generation!

Romans can build roads that last centuries

Chinese can build walls (as GREAT as they may be) that last centuries

:p

Happy New Year

(is that a muffler bearing I hear about to fail?)

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Hey Dave muffler bearings do exist by the way. On older cab over tractor trailers you have to jack the cab up and tilt it over to work on the motor. Well the exhaust stack going up the back of the cab split appart one half stayed on the frame the other up the back of the cab, and a muffler bearing was put in place where the 2 ends came together. It looks like an O-ring with bearing inside it so the muffler can slide back in place.

sambo30

Equipment
L245DT
May 29, 2010
Clinton, MO
........ Getting those (trashed) bearings out of that housing is going to prove to be a pain in the posterior. :mad:......
Oh boy, that may prove to be a big understatement. I got the outer bearing without too much trouble. The inner bearing (the one that disassembled itself) left the outer ring firmly in place in the housing. I can't get a brass punch on anything that will allow me to knock it out. I may have to get real creative and careful with a cutting device of some sort...????

Sorry Vic for getting you all wound up but I couldn't resist (The devil made me do it). :D:D

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Oh boy, that may prove to be a big understatement. I got the outer bearing without too much trouble. The inner bearing (the one that disassembled itself) left the outer ring firmly in place in the housing. I can't get a brass punch on anything that will allow me to knock it out. I may have to get real creative and careful with a cutting device of some sort...????

Sorry Vic for getting you all wound up but I couldn't resist (The devil made me do it). :D:D
The water pump on my L175 never has worked.....oh that's right I don't have a water pump:D.

Try a slide hammer with external hooks, like you would use to pull a pilot bearing out of a crankshaft. You will have to hold the waterpump securely, maybe a vise would work.

Robert

asbug

Equipment
B7001 - looks orange to me... Woods 5' scrape, 42" rotary cutter, shreader/chip.
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
The water pump on my B7001 has wires comming out of it, oh wait that is the alternator...
LOL.
KC

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Hey Dave muffler bearings do exist by the way. On older cab over tractor trailers you have to jack the cab up and tilt it over to work on the motor. Well the exhaust stack going up the back of the cab split appart one half stayed on the frame the other up the back of the cab, and a muffler bearing was put in place where the 2 ends came together. It looks like an O-ring with bearing inside it so the muffler can slide back in place.
Well slap me and call me Ruth then :p

Hope he can fix the blinker fluid leak :D

sambo30

Equipment
L245DT
May 29, 2010
Clinton, MO
Well slap me and call me Ruth then :p

Hope he can fix the blinker fluid leak :D
Hey Ruth! I ain't got no blinkers so no need to fix'em!:D

Well, I finally decided to go with my gut and ordered a water pump assy that matched drawing and old part. Everything is back together now and running fine. New water pump, new hoses, new thermostat, new rad. cap and new battery cables. I only wish that I had remembered to get new glow plugs for the old girl while I was ordering parts...... no excuse, just forgot. I'll have to make another parts order one of these days as I have the old water pump assy. completely tore down. I plan to rebuild it and put it on the shelf. Hopefully, I won't need it for another few years.

Ok, I'm ready for the next breakdown..........just not this week, ok?:eek:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Nice to hear back about the solution. Quite a bit of wrenching there.

That rebuilt water pump will likely be still sitting on the shelf when your grandkids inherit the tractor.