Show me your Refueling Setup

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
How do you get around the law that says you have to take containers off the vehicle and put them on the ground for filling them at the gas station? Not sure if it is a state law or?
That law (or logic) does not apply to diesel fuel, it will not ignite off of static spark, which is why they want you to remove the container from the vehicle.

The flash point is way too high to ignite with a spark.

So if you filling say 5 gallon containers, no need to unload and load them when filling. ;)

There isn't any chance that I'm going to unload my 100 gallon tank at the station to fill it. :D

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Makes perfectly good sense NIW, and I thought that, but the signs posted on the pumps didn't distinguish between gas and diesel which are often dispensed side by side. Figured lawmakers didn't understand flashpoints....or were ultracareful. But good news to me I am going to see what I can strap to a pallet and slide under the cap on my truck.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You also are not require to shut off a diesel powered vehicle to fuel them either. ;)

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Makes perfectly good sense NIW, and I thought that, but the signs posted on the pumps didn't distinguish between gas and diesel which are often dispensed side by side. Figured lawmakers didn't understand flashpoints....or were ultracareful. But good news to me I am going to see what I can strap to a pallet and slide under the cap on my truck.
Here's the one I set up before I found out that the pumps now all sell ULSD.

It's set up so I could have loaded on the truck with the forks or run it over on the back of a tractor on the 3-PT if I wanted to.

Attachments

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
Here's my fuel depot, midwest can with easy flo. I don't think my oil burner will use a lot of fuel. Tractor Supply has the easy flo's on the shelf.

Attachments

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Here's my fuel depot, midwest can with easy flo. I don't think my oil burner will use a lot of fuel. Tractor Supply has the easy flo's on the shelf.
Nice can's but I would go through 2 of those in a day when I'm mowing.

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
Acquired a free 100 gallon tanks from an abandoned airplane hanger. Filled it up with diesel, plugged it in to a 12v source and it works great. I use the fork attachment to load it in my pickup for refilling at pacific pride with off-road diesel and to move it to the dozer or excavator for refueling.

Attachments

EverUpward

Equipment
MX5200
Aug 5, 2018
Southern Tier of NY State
I run off road diesel exclusively.

Im a hobby farmer and deer hunter and have a diesel Mx5200... the nearest fuel station is 12 miles away. I was talking to my neighbor about it, he is a real farmer with 299 cows (300 requires extra regulations :) ) Anyway, he looked at me like i was crazy and told me to follow him around the back of his barn, where he has a 500 gallon diesel tank complete w hose and nozzle and a meter on it. showed me where the power is, and where to hide the cash after i filled my tractor. Told me to take all i need and to just leave $2.50 a gallon.

Now i wont even spill diesel on the hood of the tractor... I'm sure i'll leave him $3.00 a gallon since he is saving me so much time and trouble.

good to have nice neighbors..

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Now i wont even spill diesel on the hood of the tractor... I'm sure i'll leave him $3.00 a gallon since he is saving me so much time and trouble.

good to have nice neighbors..
Oh yeah, having a hose and nozzle is much, much better than using 5 gallon cans. My nozzle is even auto-shutoff. I will say my MX4800 gets the worst fuel economy of any tractor I've ever owned. My L4310 mowing, using the same mower, will go just as long as the new MX but only has a 10 gallon tank instead of 13.5 gallons that the MX holds.

EverUpward

Equipment
MX5200
Aug 5, 2018
Southern Tier of NY State
Oh yeah, having a hose and nozzle is much, much better than using 5 gallon cans. My nozzle is even auto-shutoff. I will say my MX4800 gets the worst fuel economy of any tractor I've ever owned. My L4310 mowing, using the same mower, will go just as long as the new MX but only has a 10 gallon tank instead of 13.5 gallons that the MX holds.
I just got a MX5200 and only have 12 hours on it... that said, I was suprised how fast i'm using up the Diesel.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I just got a MX5200 and only have 12 hours on it... that said, I was suprised how fast i'm using up the Diesel.
Yeah, me too. (Lol...MeToo movement for tractors). But in all seriousness, I expected the MX (which uses common-rail, electronically-controlled fuel injectors and much higher fuel pressures) to be better on fuel than my older, mechanical fuel injection Kubotas. But it is not. And I have not even hit my first regeneration yet, during which I know it will suck quite a bit more fuel (I know from experience with diesel pickup trucks).

But I still really like the tractor.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Been using two of these. Sit on the cowling, push a button, super easy. I use 10 gallons a day mowing, so works well for me.
I use the exact same container. Works great and I no longer spill any diesel fuel on my tractor.