My L245DT Wont start ??

mrmopardave

Equipment
l245dt
Jan 8, 2012
Sparks , nevada , usa
My ( New to me ) L245DT wont start . New battery , new cables , showing 12.65 volts at the starter . When key is turned on , the red dash lights come on some times , some times not . I pulled key switch out and dont see any bad connections . Tryed arching starter with screwdriver ( main supply post over to start terminal ) ..no spark , noise or anything . Makes me think the starter is bad , but the intermitent dash lights makes me wonder . The wiring all appears to look good with no signs of corrosion . Im bummed ..someone please help !!!

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
That battery voltage is to low with no load on the battery. Start by getting all the connections on it clean and a fresh battery.

E/S

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

I'd first check the ground to the chassis because to me it sounds exactly like a grounding issue.

Ron

284 International

Equipment
B6000 with FEL, assorted Yanmar machines
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
You have sufficient voltage to make sparks, illuminate a warning light, or what have you. Plus, the battery is new. The intermittent nature of the light, to start with, points to a lousy connection and/or wire. Arcing the starter should at least make sparks, even if it doesn't spin.

Start with the (I know, it's new) ground cable. Make sure it is onto something that is clean itself, and well-attached to the engine and/or the frame. Same for the positive cable to the starter. Test them both for continuity and resistance, just in case you got a bum cable.

Test the voltage at the key switch, and see what you're getting there, and compare it to the battery's voltage directly on the terminals. If you've gotten voltage to the switch, test each of the other terminals (3? 2?) in various positions (On, start, pre-heat if on the key etc) and see if they show voltage. If not, the key switch is defective.

I would try a jumper wire instead of the screwdriver, just to ensure you're getting good power to where you want it.

If everything is good but the starter doesn't want to work, pull it of and clean all the mounting surfaces in case they are corroded or fouled. You can even bench test it with a battery or battery booster directly, so see if you can get it to work. If none of that works, but your electrical system is fine, you're up for either a rebuild of your current starter or a replacement. Good luck!

Istrian

Equipment
Kubota GR2120
Mar 10, 2011
New Zealand
Have you remembered the safety switch on the clutch? In other words you have to depress the clutch whilst starting so that the starter motor will work.

mrmopardave

Equipment
l245dt
Jan 8, 2012
Sparks , nevada , usa
Thanks for the tips guys !! I am aware of the clutch safety switch . Im going to double check connections today .. especially ground cable . One thing i forgot to mention , i was checking for 12vts on back of key switch . It seemed odd to me with the key in off pos , i was getting a strong 12 volts to the " b " terminal , but when switched to the on position ... lost voltage . Maybe thats how its supposed to work .. but from years of working on old cars .. didnt seem right .

mrmopardave

Equipment
l245dt
Jan 8, 2012
Sparks , nevada , usa
Are there other ground connections on this tractor i should be looing for besides battery to chassis ? I hunted around a little with a flash light but didnt notice any others ??

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Ground problem most likely - battery terminal corroded or loose.

Wires all tight at their connection?

mrmopardave

Equipment
l245dt
Jan 8, 2012
Sparks , nevada , usa
well , i figured it out guys . Bad positive battery cable . It was a new one for me , i had cleaned both ends , connections looked good , showed 12 plus volts with the volt meter at starter . By passed it with jumper cables and fired right up . Must have been coroded under shiething enough that would show 12vts but not getting sufficient amperage ... Thanks again for all the tips !!!

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Thought maybe too much acid flux could have been used when the ends were soldered on. this crosion under the sheath has come up before.