Head gasket shim

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I'm just begining reassembly of my engine. I need to place a shim along with the gasket. The parts diagram for my tractor (L245DT) shows the head gasket against the block, then the shim, and then the head. Does this seem right to others here? Also, do I need to apply andything to the shim to help with the seal? Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Just like the picture shows assembly.....but do not use any sealant or goop....it's a compression (squeeze) seal.

I think there is a rubber o-ring seal IIRC on a stud as well....VIC????

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Ok. I've read some things to the contrary that's why I asked. Everything I have read about cars says: shim (with tack on it), gasket, then head. Both the shim and the gasket only fit one way, so that's a no brainer. As far as an oring goes, I don't recall one in the dissassembly? Would love to know for sure so I can get this thing back together. Thanks fj40dave.

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
I looked at the parts diagram that Messicks will send if you request.....it shows the gasket next to the block, then the shim, and then the head sitting on top of those two - in that order.
(part # 15 & 16 respectively)
The 295 I rebuilt had a small rubber o-ring gasket at the base of the stud (#12 in the Messick diagram for the L245DT)....and I don't recall if it was on the parts diagram or not - but I went to the local hardware store and got another one just like it and installed it with the rebuild......no problems with the operation of the motor at this point.
Do not use any sealants or goop on the head gasket.....the compression sealing of the gasket between the cyl head and the block will provide the seal you need....and the gasket sealant will squish out into the water and oil passages and give you grief! Torque the head down in the sequence called for in the manual, and you'll be just fine!

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA

Just above (or toward the top of your screed)....see the small opaque looking rubber washer around the small stud sitting up? Thats the thing I mentioned about replacing the o-ring on.....

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Why are you using the shim?? You had the head planed and are using the shim to restore to original compression correct???
You are correct. The machinist who cleaned up my head said that it was quite warped. He asked about the specs for the kubotas engine as I had told him I had the shop manual when I took the head in. Given the amount of material he had to take off he felt it would be wise for me to put a shim in there.

fj40dave, I was wondering about that stud. I have an oring set so Ill look into it. Just a rubber oring, or some other material?

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
The only reason I replaced the o-ring on the stud is because I found one there when I took the head off. If yours had one to begin with, I would replace it.
The local ACE hardware has a huge selection of these type of o-rings, so replacement was quite inexpensive.

I just did a Google search for o-rings (hi temp) and found a really good source of info:

http://www.sealingspecialties.com/materials.htm

It will help with picking the right material that the right sized o-ring is made from.

I didn't use this information.....so I must have just had beginners luck when I replaced the o-ring on the L295DT. :D

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Ok after some searching through the parts manual I finally found the O Ring. I was only looking on the cylinder head parts diagram and found in on the crankcase diagram. Local Kubota Dealer had it for $3. Kinda pricey for one little O Ring. What can ya do.

Otherwise I spoke with a friend from the coast who is a machinist who walked me through measuring "valve recession" on the cylinder head. He forwarded me the link to a video that I would like to share. They refer to it as "valve stand down", but it is the same thing....just to confuse us amateurs. Its the "half a$$" way of doing it. He says its fine for things like our little diesels, but wouldn't dream of doing it for a $10,000 engine with a warranty. I found my head to be in spec, so I don't need the shim after all. Pleased to say the least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDcco0mMRdA

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
I know this is an old thread but it is still helpful. I am replacing a head gasket and, like the OP, am confused about the O-ring on the head gasket.

I sent my head and block to a machine shop and they stripped the old head gasket so I don't have the original O-ring to compare and replace.

In the pictures it looks like there is a washer or small gasket under the O-ring. Is that right? I wish I would have taken some better pictures of mine before shipping it off. Here's what I have.

[/URL][/IMG]

See the post on the upper left of the picture? Is that a washer or gasket of some kind held on by an O-ring? The WSM only refers to an O-ring on the "pipe pin."

Here are the WSM instructions:
Replace the cylinder head gasket with a new one.
• Securely fit the O-ring (3) to the pipe pin.
• Tighten the cylinder head screws after applying sufficient oil.
• Tighten the cylinder head screws in order of (a) to (n or j).
• Tighten them uniformly, or the head may deform in the long run.
• Retighten the cylinder head screws after running the engine for
30 minutes.

So, do I need to go to a dealer (30 minutes) to get this O-ring? If I use one from my O-ring assortment, should I just select one that snugs to the pipe pin?

Thanks for any help!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep like D2Cat said, just the O-ring on the head oil feed pipe, Top left in your picture.

Last edited:

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
I'm rebuilding a 3 cylinder D722 engine (pics and more information on another thread). Does anybody know the size of the o-ring that goes on the "pipe pin" on the block? It's the little oil tube sticking up from the block, slips into the head.

My nearest full service Kubota dealer is 1.5 hours away so I'm hoping to substitute a generic o-ring.

Thank you.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I don't know the exact size, but it needs to be big enough in the cross section to get squished by the head!

Why not call the dealer. Talk to the parts guys and ask them if they will help you with a measurement. Have the part number handy, to save them looking it up. Explain to them your predicament. I'd guess they'd help knowing your distance and the simple cost of an O-ring.

southernpiper1

Equipment
b6100
You are correct. The machinist who cleaned up my head said that it was quite warped. He asked about the specs for the kubotas engine as I had told him I had the shop manual when I took the head in. Given the amount of material he had to take off he felt it would be wise for me to put a shim in there.

fj40dave, I was wondering about that stud. I have an oring set so Ill look into it. Just a rubber oring, or some other material?
Hi, I'm not sure which engine you have but on my D650, there is a head alinement peg which also is the oil pathway to the head. It's hollow. That is why it requires sealing. My kit had one with it.

codywalters71

Equipment
Bobcat 763
May 11, 2023
Kilgore tx
That O-ring is a seal for the oil tube.
So I rebuilt the v2203 on a bobcat got it together replaced the o-ring I’m wondering if I messed that up would it cause low oil pressure or if I used copper coat it was a normal type gasket wondering why I have low oil pressure this is second time changing head gasket first time was a aluminum three sheet gasket I crushed the oring but had oil pressure just was leaking coolant I’m loosing it on this thing

codywalters71

Equipment
Bobcat 763
May 11, 2023
Kilgore tx
So I rebuilt the v2203 on a bobcat got it together replaced the o-ring I’m wondering if I messed that up would it cause low oil pressure or if I used copper coat it was a normal type gasket wondering why I have low oil pressure this is second time changing head gasket first time was a aluminum three sheet gasket I crushed the oring but had oil pressure just was leaking coolant I’m loosing it on this thing
Throwing a trouble code after 5 minutes of running

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Have you checked the pressure with a manual gauge?
And no the O-ring doesn't effect oil pressure, unless it's not there.