Grapple Advice

Catchinweeds

Feb 27, 2018
Carmel, ME
I plan on ordering an EA grapple for my L3901 this week. I'm on the fence about size however. I'm torn between the 66" and the 60". I plan on doing some tight work in the woods which is the only reason I'm contemplating the 60". Does anyone see that as a mistake?

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
I have an L3240 which is a few less HP than your tractor. I purchased the 60" EA grapple a couple of months ago. I opted for the 60" due to the grapple weight being only about 150 lbs heavier than my bucket. I am also doing "woods" work such as clearing brush and pushing over trees such as china berry, wild cherry, cedar as well as privet and other undergrowth. I am very pleased so far with performance of the grapple. As far as choosing between the 60" and 66" I doubt that the additional width would be much of an issue as the 66" would only extend 3" more on either side than mine does. The grapple has become my favorite implement. It has already more than paid for itself compared to the cost of paying someone to do what I have done with it so far. I hope my input helps you in making your decision easier. I spent about 2 months researching before opting for the EA.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I have the sixty inch double lid and do mostly woods work with it. The extra six inches would not make any difference IMHO.

crmorse

Equipment
'20 RTV-XG850, '16 L47 TLB, '06 JCB 506CHL, '99 JD 455G, 1953 Ford 8N
Nov 28, 2016
Anniston, AL
I've got about 60-80 hours on my grapple --also my favorite attachment. I have never ever wished it was wider but there's been more than a few times I wished it was narrower... usually right after knocking the bark off a "keeper" tree.

I'm with the others though, you won't noticed 3" either way.

grandwazoo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5200 TLB, Kodiak box blade, wicked root grapple, EA pallet forks
Dec 12, 2017
Finger Lakes
Travis(i think) at EA recommended the 60" to me. I got the single lid. works great, plenty wide~

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Only advantage I can see with my double lid is it holds brush well when driving it to my dump trailer. At times one lid will clamp down further on uneven loads, such as brush. Otherwise, a single lid would be just fine.

RichM752

Equipment
L47TLB
Feb 28, 2017
Mount Shasta CA
Only advantage I can see with my double lid is it holds brush well when driving it to my dump trailer. At times one lid will clamp down further on uneven loads, such as brush. Otherwise, a single lid would be just fine.
I concur. I also work big piles of firewood and odd sized rocks and boulders. Dual for me. Although that new Wicked 60 sure has my attention for strictly ground clearing/cleaning work.

ccs

Equipment
M5-111HDC12 4WD w/FEL, RC4615, RCF3696: L4060 w/FEL, QH15, RCF2072, BB2572
Jul 5, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hi All...I too am looking for an EA grapple..I'm very torn between the Root Rake Grapple with the shorter bottom tines verus the single or double close Wicked Root Grapple.....

Anyone have any advice or experience as to which might better..?

Mostly scooping up tree branches, smaller logs and using it to take out 1"
to 3" trees with fairly shallow roots...might back drag or rake, but thats less of a concern..

btw- i find the slightly larger text easier to read..lol (not yelling)

kenmac

Equipment
B26 with hyd. thumb and 4 in 1 loader bucket and EA Grapple, but not the wicked
Dec 14, 2015
Pell City, Al.
Hi All...I too am looking for an EA grapple..I'm very torn between the Root Rake Grapple with the shorter bottom tines verus the single or double close Wicked Root Grapple.....

Anyone have any advice or experience as to which might better..?

Mostly scooping up tree branches, smaller logs and using it to take out 1"
to 3" trees with fairly shallow roots...might back drag or rake, but thats less of a concern..

btw- i find the slightly larger text easier to read..lol (not yelling)
I have and really like my root rake grapple. I decided on it after watching Ted use the other style on a small tractor and had trouble dumping the brush onto a trailer. I would prefer to have two independent lids, but the single lid works well.

ccs

Equipment
Jul 5, 2017
Pennsylvania
I have and really like my root rake grapple. I decided on it after watching Ted use the other style on a small tractor and had trouble dumping the brush onto a trailer. I would prefer to have two independent lids, but the single lid works well.

Ken -- I'm sorry, I'm confused as to which one you have ? can you post a pic?

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
I also got an EA root rake grapple for my little BX23S. https://www.everythingattachments.com/55-Inch-Wicked-Root-Rake-Grapple-p/eta-55-wrrg.htm I like how light it is, as weight is a premium for my tractor. Also fit my SSQA, so swapping it with the bucket literally takes a minute or two. I can carry nice size logs, stumps and lots of brush. The raking part makes it nice to clean up and also level out some dirt piles after digging out stumps. While some long tines on the bottom would be useful at times, once you get used to using the grapple, you can angle and clamp a lot of brush/logs and pretty much fill the mouth of the grapple.

kemire

Equipment
L3560
Mar 21, 2018
Lake Charles,la
I purchased the 60" EA grapple with double lids and continue to be impressed. The guys at EA recommended the 60" to me for my 37hp L3560 tractor and they were spot on. They told me that the main reason was with that size tractor the 60" would push through the dirt easier when clearing roots but I wouldn't notice a difference picking up debris. I'm glad I got the double lid it helps a lot when picking up logs that are bigger on one end than the other because the lids close independent of each other and clamp tight at both ends. Very well made and worth every penny! I am clearing 16 acres of heavy brush and trees. I couldn't do it without this attachment...I have about 100hrs on it and it only has scratches on the paint. I haven't noticed any twisting or bending...Great investment...

ccs

Equipment
Jul 5, 2017
Pennsylvania
https://www.everythingattachments.com/Compact-Tractor-Loader-Root-Rake-Grapple-p/eta-cmp-rrg.htm
If this works, this is the one I bought and am very pleased with it.
By the way, I got the 60 inch size.

Kenmac - sorry if I missed this - which model Kubota tractor do you run this Xtreme root rake grapple on ??

Also - why did you go with the Xtreme one versus what I'll call the regular Root Rake Grapple ? (just the dumping of weeds issue?)

I like the one in Ted's video - but what I dont like about it - is the bottom tines seem so short...and the one you bought seems longer but not real long like the regular EA Wicked Root grapples....

kenmac

Equipment
B26 with hyd. thumb and 4 in 1 loader bucket and EA Grapple, but not the wicked
Dec 14, 2015
Pell City, Al.
Kenmac - sorry if I missed this - which model Kubota tractor do you run this Xtreme root rake grapple on ??

Also - why did you go with the Xtreme one versus what I'll call the regular Root Rake Grapple ? (just the dumping of weeds issue?)

I like the one in Ted's video - but what I dont like about it - is the bottom tines seem so short...and the one you bought seems longer but not real long like the regular EA Wicked Root grapples....
I use it on my B26. It weighs 420 lbs., but my 4 in 1 bucket weighs 450. it is over built for my tractor, but I doubt I will tear it up. I tend to buy just a little better than I can really afford. I don't know how I could have bought better for my needs. I am considering cutting the center section of the lid out to make it a double lid style, but I'm a little leery of cutting a good piece of equipment.

ccs

Equipment
Jul 5, 2017
Pennsylvania
I use it on my B26. It weighs 420 lbs., but my 4 in 1 bucket weighs 450. it is over built for my tractor, but I doubt I will tear it up. I tend to buy just a little better than I can really afford. I don't know how I could have bought better for my needs. I am considering cutting the center section of the lid out to make it a double lid style, but I'm a little leery of cutting a good piece of equipment.

I was considering it for an L4060 -- Travis steering me to the new 60" wicked root rake grapple:

https://www.everythingattachments.com/60-Inch-Wicked-Root-Rake-Grapple-p/eta-60-wrrg.htm

But again -- just REALLY unsure of those super short bottom tines...