An Aussie needs some American Help!

TheOldChurchEstate

Equipment
Possibly a L2850DT
Mar 15, 2018
Australia
G'Day All.

I have used this forum as a non member and it has massively helped me fix a hopeless tractor - but now I am stumped!

To save you reading my whole post I am looking to identify the tractor I am using and need to source complete tie rod assemblies for it (I think it is a L2850DT) if you can help please read on - the story is below

I am using, what is decalled as a L1-275DT - but this doesn't seem to be a real model. I think is it actually a L2850DT - can you identify it?

The serial number is stamped L 1 CD 96949

Long story follows as short as possible:

The tractor belongs to a neighbor. He recently bought and and starting constructing a house to retire to with his wife. Sadly his wife died 6 months ago from cancer and he has been recently diagnosed too. He lives 800miles away and is not able to travel. I offered to slash his 6 acre block whilst he is away and keep on top of the maintenance for him - using his newly purchased refurbished tractor - he paid $17,000 for it.

From day 1 it has had nothing but problems - it was clear that the previous owner did not perform any maintenance. No hydraulic fluid, front diff leaking, no fluid changes, minimal engine oil, dirty fuel filter, hydraulic hose to 4 in 1 blew after 5 mins, overheating caused by radiator working at 30% capacity and full of dust, 3-point hitch stays needed replacing, tacho cable broken and a raft of other small issues.

I repaired all of the above and she seemed to be working OK until last week the RH Tie Rod snapped at the adjustable thread. On investigation the LH tie rod looked very bent and must have been causing a lot of stress.

We have a Kubota dealership locally - but they have not been very helpful. They couldn't identify the model and didn't seem that keen to help - despite me spending a fortune there to fix all the other stuff. I persisted and tracked down what I think the model is - a L2850DT, only to be informed that they don't have the parts in the country and it would take 2 months and $1500 to get them - for tie rods!

I have found what I think is the correct LH tie rod in the US but cant track down the adjustable RH Rod - I need the full assemblies (although I could possibly save 1 ball joint).
This looks like the correct LH one but without measurements or confirmation of my tractor model I can't be sure - ww.tractortool.com/sidebar/sunbelt-compact-tractor-parts/miscellaneous/b1vpj3534-tie-rod-assembly-lh.html[/url]

This looks like the correct RH - ww.wengers.com/parts/front-axle-4-wheel-drive-82/tie-rod-assembly-r-h-3243044640.html[/url] - again I can't be sure.

I have pictures of the tractor and rod but can't attached as I don't have a reply count of 5 yet but hope that someone can help me to track down these parts.

So much thanks in advance.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the OTT forum. You came to the right place as there is a lot of great knowledgeable people on here.

Sorry but that is not me. :D

TheOldChurchEstate

Equipment
Possibly a L2850DT
Mar 15, 2018
Australia
Thanks Mickeyd - notch up another reply for me.

Just found out who supplied the Tractor - they were very sketchy on the phone about whether they had sold it or not - it is re-engineered with modifications, hence the L1-275DT decal.
They also don't know if they can get the tie rods - surely they exist somewhere - I have sent them images and measurements.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
First off to make things easier/correct, what name plate data is on the tractor frame? Anything like this?
http://www.sun-jp.co.jp/system/photo/fa-00001997-11.jpg
Who supplied the tractor?
Sota tractors really only like to look after their own sales/service, but will supply parts, but won't answer calls I believe, you would have to email them. But you will need the CORRECT info first, not just a decal on the hood.
https://www.colemanequip.com/search/32430-44640/
https://www.colemanequip.com/search/32430-44610/

Last edited:

redmaher

Jun 23, 2016
US
G'Day All.

I have used this forum as a non member and it has massively helped me fix a hopeless tractor - but now I am stumped!

To save you reading my whole post I am looking to identify the tractor I am using and need to source complete tie rod assemblies for it (I think it is a L2850DT) if you can help please read on - the story is below

I am using, what is decalled as a L1-275DT - but this doesn't seem to be a real model. I think is it actually a L2850DT - can you identify it?

The serial number is stamped L 1 CD 96949

Long story follows as short as possible:

The tractor belongs to a neighbor. He recently bought and and starting constructing a house to retire to with his wife. Sadly his wife died 6 months ago from cancer and he has been recently diagnosed too. He lives 800miles away and is not able to travel. I offered to slash his 6 acre block whilst he is away and keep on top of the maintenance for him - using his newly purchased refurbished tractor - he paid $17,000 for it.

From day 1 it has had nothing but problems - it was clear that the previous owner did not perform any maintenance. No hydraulic fluid, front diff leaking, no fluid changes, minimal engine oil, dirty fuel filter, hydraulic hose to 4 in 1 blew after 5 mins, overheating caused by radiator working at 30% capacity and full of dust, 3-point hitch stays needed replacing, tacho cable broken and a raft of other small issues.

I repaired all of the above and she seemed to be working OK until last week the RH Tie Rod snapped at the adjustable thread. On investigation the LH tie rod looked very bent and must have been causing a lot of stress.

We have a Kubota dealership locally - but they have not been very helpful. They couldn't identify the model and didn't seem that keen to help - despite me spending a fortune there to fix all the other stuff. I persisted and tracked down what I think the model is - a L2850DT, only to be informed that they don't have the parts in the country and it would take 2 months and $1500 to get them - for tie rods!

I have found what I think is the correct LH tie rod in the US but cant track down the adjustable RH Rod - I need the full assemblies (although I could possibly save 1 ball joint).
This looks like the correct LH one but without measurements or confirmation of my tractor model I can't be sure - ww.tractortool.com/sidebar/sunbelt-compact-tractor-parts/miscellaneous/b1vpj3534-tie-rod-assembly-lh.html[/url]

This looks like the correct RH - ww.wengers.com/parts/front-axle-4-wheel-drive-82/tie-rod-assembly-r-h-3243044640.html[/url] - again I can't be sure.

I have pictures of the tractor and rod but can't attached as I don't have a reply count of 5 yet but hope that someone can help me to track down these parts.

So much thanks in advance.
Following

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

TheOldChurchEstate

Equipment
Possibly a L2850DT
Mar 15, 2018
Australia
I think I have found out who has re-engineered it in Australia and they are being super helpful to try to track down the parts for me.

Also a guy in New Zealand can get the parts for $880 aussie + shipping - significantly better than Kubota directly, but I understand that.

Definitely a L2850 - the name plate data is not visible though - just the stamping on the tunnel and front axle.

Thanks (100 td) for that link to Coleman Equip - perfect! They have a great website and seem to have everything in stock. It works out to $680 aussie, I just hope shipping is not too much.

So much for doing favors for people - it will have cost me over $2000 by the time I have finished. All good Karma though!

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
The 4th post in this thread suggests it's an L2950, no idea if they use the same parts. Coleman, Messicks, GoldenEagle others have parts, no idea if the ship to OZ
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3145
Send North Idaho Wolfman a message and see if he has a workshop manual and/or spare parts manual for an L2950 or L3450 Or L2850 if you are sure

Last edited:

TheOldChurchEstate

Equipment
Possibly a L2850DT
Mar 15, 2018
Australia
Dang this is tricky!

Looks like the tie rods (steering linkages) cover the range as I have seen the same part on e-bay for Kubota L2550 L2650 L2850 L2950 L3250 L3450 L3650 LH Tie Rod - part number 32430-44612

I am pretty sure of what I am dealing with now just need to get someone who will ship down under!

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
This tractor does not exist with out pictures ... :D ... :p ... lets us see the upside down tractor (land down under and all right) :eek:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
This tractor does not exist without pictures ... :D ... :p ... lets us see the upside down tractor (land down under and all right) :eek:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
OK here's some American help. Take the broken pieces to a shop and have it repaired by welding a coupling onto it over the break. Straighten them first and check that the length is close to right (wheels both pointing straight) - then get them welded up.

Precise wheel alignment is NOT necessary - if it's close it's fine. A temporary splint could be attached with muffler clamps to get by. There's less to tractor steering than meets the eye - no need to spend a ton of money or a lot of time. Take care, Dick B

Last edited:

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Agree with Dick's advice. This is a part needing only a little bending and welding and you'll be good to go.

No worries.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I'm with Rbargeron..... just heat up..... straighten them..... refit to check alignment...... remove....... brace them. Your good to go.

I like removable brace so if they get tweaked again you can re-heat to straighten..... then replace the tweaked brace. If brace is permanent then on next re-straighten you have lot more metal to heat up and try to bend.

Iff you have clearance for it use Ubolts to clamp on some angle iron to the rods. Makes for a good brace. Otherwise as suggested a lot of quality hose clamps along the angle iron. Ran my Jeep that way for years with angle iron and hose clamps after an in the field Tie rod repair with donated angle iron as the brace.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the ball ends are good, then I 100% agree with everyone to just have the rods straitened and run with it.
A wood welding shop can fix you right up.

Another option if the ball ends are bad, take the ends to a local Auto parts place and see if the can match just the ends and then have a local welding shop put a new rod on it.

If it was a automobile I would never suggest this, but your tractor is moving slow enough that if it failed it not going to be tragic.

If your dead set on just getting new ones, send me a PM and I'll freight forward them on to you, it won't be the first time I've shipped to OZ.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Since you are new...

PM means private message in NIW post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheOldChurchEstate

Equipment
Possibly a L2850DT
Mar 15, 2018
Australia
Thanks everyone for the advice - if it was my tractor (and not my sick neighbors) I might try to fix it up and make do until I really needed to replace. The Australian phrase for this is 'Ahh She'll be right, mate'. Since I am actually English an expat I have learnt that this translates to 'I am not going to do a proper job for you, but I will take your money - and lots of it!'.

I managed to get the snapped thread out of the adjustable sleeve at the weekend, so I can definitely re-use this part and the removable ball joint is looking pretty good too - just needs a new rubber boot and some grease. The fixed ball joint with the male threaded rod is 'rooted', so I will replace this. The LH part it more common and I have found in OZ for around twice the price of the us - but it will be here in 3-days, so I get the tractor out of the paddock and the elements. The RH rod snapped because the LH rod was so bent out of shape - putting too much stress on it.

I will post an update once it is all done.

Thanks again.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Sorry, I blew right by the fact that its not your own tractor. Its good to do full restoration on things that fail on your watch. Dick B

TheOldChurchEstate

Equipment
Possibly a L2850DT
Mar 15, 2018
Australia
Update on hard to track down tie rods in Oz.

I managed to find a supplier in Australia with the parts - they are the sister/brother company to Worthington AG Parts in the US - Neil's Parts - excellent service and a very reasonable price - if any other Aussies find this thread, hopefully this will help them.

New tie rods went on super easy and the wheels look to be pointing in the same direction. Of course things didn't run that smoothly as the battery is knackered - so I will have to spring for a new one.

So far the free use of this 'just been re-engineered' imported tractor has meant I have done the following:

Oil change, Oil Filter change, Fuel filter, hydraulic fluid fill up, front diff oil drain and re-fill, new tacho cable, flush out radiator, re-fill coolant, replace both slasher stays, fix ignition barrel, new hydraulic hose for bucket, tighten 15 bolts and nuts which were finger tight and now the battery!

I will be off to the slash the property of the neighbor who allowed me use of it and then I will probably park it under his house as quite frankly the free use has been really expensive and I can't risk anything major going wrong on my watch.

I have never used a tractor before and this has been a great experience - especially with all of your help. When I come to buy one, at least I will have a much better understanding of what to look for - just because the paint is shiny and orange it doesn't mean it is any good.

Attachments