Fuel mix?

Jetech

Equipment
B2601
Feb 13, 2018
Iowa
My 2601 was delivered last week, I asked the salesman about the best fuel additive to use. He said it had winter mix fuel in it but to add some additional treatment. When I asked him which additive was best he replied "anything from a autoparts store". So I would like to know what do you guys use.

I have the Piranha bar installed along with two of Ken's chain hooks. Both are high quality products.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Everyone has their favorite and some have put up links to support the claim. You can do a search on any forum that includes diesel engines and make up your own mind.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OH MAN,,,, thats like asking what oil is best! I use the white bottle a bit in every 5 gallon can when I fill the cans up.
Pick the color you like,,,just make sure it says for DIESEL motors

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
My 2601 was delivered last week, I asked the salesman about the best fuel additive to use. He said it had winter mix fuel in it but to add some additional treatment. When I asked him which additive was best he replied "anything from a autoparts store". So I would like to know what do you guys use.

I have the Piranha bar installed along with two of Ken's chain hooks. Both are high quality products.
Kubota tractors need clean good quality diesel fuel, appropriate for the temperatures you will be operating it in. If the fuel doesn't meet the above qualifications all the snake-oil in the world won't fix it! If it does meet those qualifications then the Kubota tractor is designed to operate on that fuel and will give years of dependable service. For the most part, fuel additives are just a tax on the gullible.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
I've had good results (as in, no fuel issues) with Stanadyne products. I use the blue bottle (performance formula) year around.

It's not expensive, and doesn't take much, so I figure it's cheap insurance to safeguard against any potential fuel issues. I do the same with my small gas engines using Seafoam. Never any fuel related issues.

I'm sure all the top brands offer good results.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
There also is a Kubota fuel additive that will give added temperature protection beyond what the winter fuel offers. I have used it and it seems fine. I also have run my diesel truck for 15 years with nothing but the local fuel, same that the tractor gets, and never had a problem either. There is always the first time, so no control for the experiment.

Jetech

Equipment
B2601
Feb 13, 2018
Iowa
Thanks for the replies. This is my first diesel engine so I am trying to understand it. The manual calls for low sulfer fuel, that I understand. I read to stay away from biodiesel.

From what I understand the only additive that I need is for cold weather. I don't know if the E-TVCS is that much different from the other engines but I read that some guys like an additive that has added sulfer, but since the manual calls for low sulfer I assume that is what it is designed for.

Please forgive my ignorance on the subject but I have never even looked at a bottle of additive so I don't know what the differences are.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Jetech, you're in Iowa. I'm positive all your local fuel distributors have all the fuel treated as needed for the temperatures there.

You need no additive, especially this time of year.

Go to your local truck stop, or busiest station selling diesel, and buy fuel there. Get "off road" if they have a separate pump. You'll get the same fuel with the exception it's dyed red to identify it as a non-taxed fuel. Off road will cost about .30 gal less.

Jetech

Equipment
B2601
Feb 13, 2018
Iowa
Jetech, you're in Iowa. I'm positive all your local fuel distributors have all the fuel treated as needed for the temperatures there.

Go to your local truck stop, or busiest station selling diesel, and buy fuel there. Get "off road" if they have a separate pump. You'll get the same fuel with the exception it's dyed red to identify it as a non-taxed fuel. Off road will cost about .30 gal less.
Thank you, I did not know that. Do I not need to add any type of injector cleaner?

kenmac

Equipment
B26 with hyd. thumb and 4 in 1 loader bucket and EA Grapple, but not the wicked
Dec 14, 2015
Pell City, Al.

I wish this pricing was always true! I can buy on-road fuel at Murphy's or Raceway for about $0.20 less than my local off road distributor. So, look around for best pricing.

Jetech

Equipment
B2601
Feb 13, 2018
Iowa
I was able to find off road #2 at a Phillips station. It took me longer to find a suitable grease for the fel, I bought a tube of Lucas heavy duty.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Jetech, sounds like you have it figured out. You should be able to get the Lucas grease at O'Rielly's Auto Parts.

For your concerns about additives for winter use, when Fall comes around be sure to get your fuel tank filled with winter treated fuel. Check with your supplier. The treatment is probably in the bulk tank by Oct. That protects you from your summer fuel gelling and causing problems.

Jetech

Equipment
B2601
Feb 13, 2018
Iowa
Jetech, sounds like you have it figured out. You should be able to get the Lucas grease at O'Rielly's Auto Parts.

For your concerns about additives for winter use, when Fall comes around be sure to get your fuel tank filled with winter treated fuel. Check with your supplier. The treatment is probably in the bulk tank by Oct. That protects you from your summer fuel gelling and causing problems.
Oreilly's is where l found the grease :) I will do that. Thanks

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
Pretty much all diesel is ultra low sulfer these day even home heating oil. I'm in the north east and use power service white bottle. I keep a bottle of diesel 911 for ultra low temps. We had a lot of gelling this winter around here.