Failed miserably

vcrick

May 29, 2016
San Diego, CA
I was quite proud of myself,the last time I posted. I just split the case on my new L 175 to free the stuck clutch plate and was able to put it back together and start it up. Should have tried to see if it moved before I posted.
How hard can it be to fix a clutch!
So, I split the case again and this time I purchased new clutch plate, pressure plate and T/O bearing. Just want to make sure I' putting it together correctly. What direction does the clutch plate go? I'm assuming the flat side of the clutch plate goes against the flywheel. Is that the way is should be installed?

Any other tricks specific to the L175 I should be aware of?
Thanks,
VCrick

Changnam 59

Equipment
New to the world of Orange
Dec 24, 2011
Pathumthanee, Thailand
I use a piece of tube just under the correct diameter and then wind electrical tape around it until the clutch plate sits snugly on the tube.

Any old piece of pipe hanging around in your workshop will do. It is not a high precision exercise.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I agree, improvised clutch alignment tool works just fine. If flywheel is burned or scored it may be a good idea to have it resurfaced. As mentioned,make certain disc will slip back and forth on shaft.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
using bolts of the same thread but longer cut the heads off.

Round the edges then cut a slot on the end so a screwdriver fits, screw the longer dowels into the block. Just make sure to check the configuration of the transmission case that there's going to be room to allow you to remove the extended dowels once the transmission is buttoned up to the engine.

Now that you have secured the transmission with several bolts remove the longer dowels you previously made replacing them with OEM bolts
That will not work on any Kubota that I've worked on, and I've done quite a few, there is no possible way to access the bolts.

Another not so common clutch problem I've come across is that the disc has become glued to the flywheel with rust and will not release.

I used propane from a 20 lb tank as a propellant to operate the pneumatic chisel.

In my youth had won a contract with a propane company to paint the tanks behind cottages, the equipment they supplied was a paint gun attached to a 100 pound cylinder with a regulator with some hose.

I'm not advising anyone to use propane as a propellant but will point out the obvious anyhow.

Spray painting with propane as the propellant should only be done outdoors.
Actually it's a very common problem to have the clutches rust up on a Kubota, that's why they include a block to hold the clutch open on most models.

And rattling the flywheel will not do a thing for it, the flywheel on Kubota's are too think and small, almost no flex will be transferred.
about the only sure fire way to break them loose is to either pull up to a unmovable object and try and get the clutch to break loose, put some heavy load equipment on the PTO and run it while holding the clutch pedal down, or of course pulling it apart.

Using propane to run an air chisel while rattling around on a piece of metal! :eek:
WOW that's living life with a death wish attitude! :p ;)

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you understand the cycles of a four stoke engine,
I'm confused as to what does this have to do with the Thread?
Please stay on topic, as it helps everyone down the line and in the future.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Not much humor in Insulting me, will only make it easy for me to delete your posts. :p ;)
I'm a little more intelligent than you are giving me credit for! :cool:
Go back and re read my post, I never used the word "light"!
I've dropped one on my foot before, and they are not made out of aluminum or cotton candy!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I have tried rattling them loose before, dousing it with hot water will sometimes loosen it. Not many people have access to a garden hose that dispenses hot water. Now hot water and a rattle and you can free up almost anything rusted together. Guy pulled a trailer around with no pin through the slug in hopes it would move around and free up. Nope. A year no pin and hitch never budged.
Hot water air hammer and 5 minutes it was loose And i was soaked.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My only concern would be the possibility of removing all the grease from the throw out bearing, but them most tractors have a provision to add grease from a remote zerk.
The grease zerk on older Kubota's does not grease the throw-out bearing, it only greases the shaft that the bearing holder rides on. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for the heads up, how many shots of grease should I give my old Kubota.
Only one or two every few years, as too much will sling grease on the pressure plate and then the clutch disk, not good! ;)

Also on these older models they have a sealed clutch housing, remove the plug on the bottom of it every service and make sure there is no water trapped inside.

Last edited: