Forgot Oil Drain washer

B7500 all year long

Dec 9, 2016
Harvard
Newbie here...I just changed my oil on my B7500 and dropped the drain screw in the oil pan. I could not remember if there was a washer on it or not from previous changes...checked the manual, and it did not mention or show one. Put the drain bolt in and drained the old oil out of the oil pan, and saw the copper washer...Duh! :eek: Why didn't I check thoroughly for the washer before adding new oil:mad:? Called my dealer and he said it could leak when it got hot. I am in Northern IL and use the loader to plow my gravel driveway. It is below freezing, so I am inclined to remove the drain bolt and re-insert with washer and hopefully minimal oil loss and mess, but I thought I would ask if anyone has had an issue with them leaking without the washer. Not a drop has leaked, but I have not run it and got it hot yet. Better safe, than sorry, right? I'm very happy I found this site! Thank you!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes pull the plug and washer it and reuse the oil! ;)

And FYI you really should use a new washer every oil change!

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Get an assistant, clean pan under the bolt. Pull the bolt and get your thumb on the hole while the assistant gets the washer on the bolt. With a bit of luck you can get the bolt to thread back in without losing much oil.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Use your shop vac on the fill hole. Have someone hold it in place with a rag around it. You remove the plug and get the washer on it. You will lose very little oil!

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Ok, that's a better idea than mine!

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Just a note, if you do not replace the washer the bolt can rattle loose (even if it is not leaking now) while you are operating and you would not know it until it was too late.

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
Loosen the plug then wrap one loop of regular cotton string around it. Tighten the plug. The string will act as a gasket/washer until the next time you change oil.

Last edited:

B7500 all year long

Dec 9, 2016
Harvard
Thanks all! Torch, that was the plan...and executed through with my wife as assistant. Amazing how cold metal gets when the temp dips this low. Only lost a couple shot glasses of oil. Purchased a new copper washer/gasket from Kubota for $2.55. How does a penny with a hole drilled through it cost more than a penny? Just kidding...it's done along with a new battery and ready to attack the 10-12 inches of snow predicted for tonight and tomorrow. Cheers! :)

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
How does a penny with a hole drilled through it cost more than a penny?
I have done exactly that (drilled holes in coins) with some foreign coins left over from trips in overseas countries. I figured what else could I use them for? I have no intentions of ever returning there so why not?

B7500 all year long

Dec 9, 2016
Harvard
I have done exactly that (drilled holes in coins) with some foreign coins left over from trips in overseas countries. I figured what else could I use them for? I have no intentions of ever returning there so why not?
I love it! Finally a use for the leftover pennies from Canadian fishing trips!:D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
"Hey, those Canadian pennies are going to be valuable some day as they are not used anymore up here. We now just round up or down to the closest nickel."

Makes sense to me. Think how much longer your pockets will last!!:D

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
I have an L185 and it has 2 drain plugs in cast iron oil pan.
Never has had any washers from day one. Bolts are on very bottom.
Threads are fine and I snug them up.
No leaks ever. 38 years
Not saying this would work with sheet metal pan.
Most auto part stores sell washers of different materials.
Nylon Aluminum Copper. Should be able to get them there for a bit less cost.
Just check ID & OD then match.
Glad you were able to re-install your washer.
Now the snowblower was a different animal.
I ended up using new copper washer and special thread sealant made by Permatex so far so good. Cleaned surfaces real good.
Tractor bolts mating surfaces are cleaned very well also.
No sealant on those.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
New oil pan on my 92 chevy. Darn thing leaked from day one. Every oil change i try a different washer. Aluminum copper fiber next one is nylon.

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
New oil pan on my 92 chevy. Darn thing leaked from day one. Every oil change i try a different washer. Aluminum copper fiber next one is nylon.
I have that snowblower which leaked and I have now used
PERMATEX oil plug sealant. Came in a small packet from auto parts store.
I used Brake cleaner on Bolt and internal threads to remove any oil residue.
Also bought PERMATEX THREADLOCKER BLUE It is supposed to be surface insensitive. Meaning oil can still be on surfaces? I have not tried that as the other has worked.
I also used a new copper washer.
Make sure hole in washer is almost same size as bolt.

I did a lot of research on what to use. Good Luck

jbjlock26

Equipment
BX25D, Filled Rears, 54" MMM, R2 Mfg. 3" Edge Tamers w/12" Edge Extenders
Sep 23, 2016
Dillsburg, PA
Not all auto parts stores have washers in metric sizes. You can make do with an SAE size but it must be tightened carefully.

If someone figures out the correct metric size and posts it here, I'm sure they are available in bulk online.

I just bought some on eBay for Nissan and I have another size for Mercedes-Benz. Those are both copper. Honda uses aluminum and Subaru uses a crush washer similar to a spark plug gasket. All different solutions to the same problem.

John in PA

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I don't think my BX2360 ever had a washer....:(

Went to Kubota parts diagram, and sure enough "gasket, oil plug" P/N 15862-96670.

I've done every oil change since new, and just did one couple weeks ago.

I know to look for them - my Harley and other machines over the years had them.

Puzzling.:rolleyes:

Sold the Harley, but I might still have a couple spares...What are the chances they'll fit?!?;)