L4400 that won't start

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
So you crossed the start terminal and got it to run? Now, how did you check the switches and which ones did you check.

Which version of L4400 do you have? F, DT or HST

Pat

david.webster012

Dec 6, 2016
Booneville, AR, US
First I checked the swith for 12 volts then for continuity. Then I replaced the switches for seat, pto, clutch, hydrostatic peddle. I checked the ignition switch for voltage and continuity. Then I replaced the starter relay and the fuel cylinoide relay and one other. They were involved in the safety/ kill switch circuit or the starter circuits. I've replaced all of the switches and relays that I can find on the wiring diagrams. I turn the key to the on position and the dash lights come on just like they should. I turn the key further to start.... and nothing. ????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
In a Universe, far, far from here.... sorry, worked late and the duck hunters next door don't think they need plugs in their shotguns. I had the keyed switch itself go out once. If I remember correctly it worked but wouldn't hold/stay in the on position. Once I figured it out duct tape got us home.

The coffee is about done, might as well go sit on the porch and get my limit since I can't sleep.

david.webster012

Dec 6, 2016
Booneville, AR, US
In a Universe, far, far from here.... sorry, worked late and the duck hunters next door don't think they need plugs in their shotguns. I had the keyed switch itself go out once. If I remember correctly it worked but wouldn't hold/stay in the on position. Once I figured it out duct tape got us home.

The coffee is about done, might as well go sit on the porch and get my limit since I can't sleep.
Checked the voltage to the ignition switch then took the switch off and with the wifey-poo's help, I checked the switch continuity in the different key positions. All checked out according to the service manual.

david.webster012

Dec 6, 2016
Booneville, AR, US
It's a HST, 4WD

I would check the position of the HST pedal. Sometimes mud, corrosion, weak return springs effect it. Move the HST pedal a little while keying it to crank and see if it lights up. Just a cheap, easy suggestion...
I tried slightly wiggling the peddle while starting. I replaced the HST peddle switch. No go.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
It's hard to get at when mounted in the dash, do you have 12 volts at the crank to start terminal? If so then I would ohm out the wire coming from there to starter solenoid.

Pat